NEW YORK (AP) Can I get the flu and COVID-19 vaccines at the same time?
Yes, you can get the shots in the same visit.
When COVID-19 vaccines were first rolling out in the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended waiting 14 days between the shots and other immunizations as a precaution. But the agency has since revised its guidelines and says the wait is unnecessary.
The CDC and other health experts point to past experience showing that vaccines work as they should and any side effects are similar whether the shots are given separately or in the same visit.
We have a history of vaccinating our kids with multiple vaccines, says flu specialist Richard Webby of St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital.
Staying up to date on all vaccinations will be especially important this year, experts say.
Since people were masked and staying home, last years flu season barely registered. This year, its unclear how intense the flu season will be with more places reopening.
The worry is that if they both circulate at the same time, were going to have this sort of twin-demic, Webby says. The concern with that is that its going to put extra strain on an already strained health care system.
The CDC recommends an annual flu vaccine for everyone 6 months and older, and says ideally everyone should be vaccinated by the end of October. It takes 10 to 14 days for the flu vaccine to take full effect so if you wait until the flu begins circulating, your body may not have time to build up protection. Vaccine options vary by age but include several types of shots or a nasal spray version.
One caution: COVID-19, colds and flu all share similar symptoms so if you feel ill, the CDC says to postpone a vaccination appointment until youre better to avoid getting others sick.
The AP is answering your questions about the coronavirus in this series. Submit them at: FactCheck@AP.org. Read more here:
Am I fully vaccinated without a COVID-19 vaccine booster?
Is the delta variant of the coronavirus worse for kids?
What can employers do if workers avoid COVID-19 vaccines?
Can I get the flu and COVID-19 vaccines at the same time? - Associated Press
- Dozens of travelers arriving in the Netherlands from South Africa test positive for Covid-19 - CNBC - November 27th, 2021
- 2 cases of the omicron variant have been identified in the United Kingdom : Coronavirus Updates - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- Omicron Identified as Covid-19 Variant of Concern, Triggering Global Fears - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- New 'Omicron' Variant Stokes Concern but Vaccines May Still Work - The New York Times - November 27th, 2021
- COVID news live: New measures to be reviewed one week before Christmas as Boris Johnson reacts to Omicron variant - Sky News - November 27th, 2021
- Bryan Adams tests positive for Covid-19 for the second time - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters | FDA - FDA.gov - November 21st, 2021
- Cognition Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter Financial Results and Company Highlights - November 18th, 2021
- Day One to Present at the Piper Sandler 33rd Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Plus Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Data from ReSPECT™-GBM Phase 1 Clinical Trial at the 2021 Society for Neuro-Oncology Annual Meeting - November 18th, 2021
- Pliant Therapeutics to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - November 18th, 2021
- Crinetics Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 4th Annual Evercore ISI HealthCONx Conference - November 18th, 2021
- SOTIO Strengthens its Strategic Advisory Board with Esteemed Oncology Experts and Industry Veterans - November 18th, 2021
- Veru Ranked as one of the Fastest-Growing Companies in North America on the 2021 Deloitte Technology Fast 500 - November 18th, 2021
- Entrada Therapeutics to Present at Evercore ISI 4th Annual HealthCONx Virtual Conference - November 18th, 2021
- VYNE Therapeutics to Present at the Piper Sandler 33rd Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Athenex to Present at the Evercore ISI 4th Annual HealthCONx Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Fountain Therapeutics Announces $15 Million Series A-2 Financing - November 18th, 2021
- Veru to Report Fiscal 2021 Fourth-Quarter, Full-Year Financial Results, Host Conference Call on December 2nd - November 18th, 2021
- Tempest Announces First Patient Dosed with TPST-1495 in Combination with Pembrolizumab - November 18th, 2021
- Aerami Therapeutics Appoints Barry Deutsch as Chief Financial Officer - November 18th, 2021
- iOnctura Presents Compelling Preclinical Data on its Clinical Stage Autotaxin Inhibitor IOA-289 at SITC - November 12th, 2021
- Spectral Announces Third Quarter Results and Provides Corporate Update - November 12th, 2021
- Cue Biopharma Presents Updated Data from Lead Program CUE-101 for the Treatment of Recurrent/Metastatic HPV+ Head and Neck Cancer and Additional... - November 12th, 2021
- Apexigen Announces New Phase 2 Clinical Data on CD40 Antibody Sotigalimab at the SITC 2021 Annual Meeting - November 12th, 2021
- Statement re Award Win - November 12th, 2021
- Vaccitech’s VTP-300 was Well-Tolerated and Induced T cells against all targeted HBV antigens in both Healthy Volunteers and Patients with Chronic... - November 12th, 2021
- Biosight Announces Initiation of Phase 2 Clinical Trial of Aspacytarabine for MDS and AML - November 12th, 2021
- Oculis Announces Patient Dosing in its First Phase 3 (DIAMOND Study - DIAbetic Macular edema patients ON a Drop) with OCS-01, a Novel, Investigational... - November 12th, 2021
- Albireo Announces New Phase 3 Data for Bylvay™ (odevixibat) in PFIC and First Reveal of New Next Generation Bile Acid Modulator Data at AASLD The... - November 12th, 2021
- Vir Biotechnology Presents New Data Evaluating the Potential for VIR-2218 and VIR-3434 to Achieve a Functional Cure for Chronic Hepatitis B Virus... - November 12th, 2021
- Aligos Therapeutics Presents Data for its Chronic Hepatitis B (CHB) and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) Portfolio at The Liver Meeting® 2021 - November 12th, 2021
- AGTC Presents Data from Ongoing Phase 1/2 Trial of AGTC-501 at Upcoming American Academy of Ophthalmology 2021 Annual Meeting - November 12th, 2021
- Prometheus Biosciences Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Corporate Progress - November 12th, 2021
- Candel Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Recent Corporate Highlights - November 12th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides a Corporate Update - November 12th, 2021
- Chimerix to Present at Jefferies London Healthcare Conference - November 12th, 2021
- Monopar Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Recent Clinical Developments - November 12th, 2021
- Health care company cuts ties with Aaron Rodgers after COVID-19 vaccine comments - NPR - November 8th, 2021
- CDC recommends Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for kids 5-11, shots expected to roll out this week - USA TODAY - November 8th, 2021
- Vaccine - Maryland - November 6th, 2021
- Sanofi drops plans for messenger RNA vaccine against virus - November 6th, 2021
- Coronavirus Vaccine | Union Hospital - November 6th, 2021
- COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise in the Western Upper Peninsula - ABC 10/CW5 - ABC 10 News NOW - November 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Event Request | coronavirus - November 6th, 2021
- Covid UK news - live: R rate in England falls to between 0.9 and 1.1 as Pfizer pill cuts deaths by nearly 90% - The Independent - November 6th, 2021
- Corona Doom 2.0: Vaccine Passports Slope of Hope ... - October 29th, 2021
- COVID | News, Videos & Articles - October 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine - Delaware's Coronavirus Official Website - October 29th, 2021
- Town Of Brookfield: 2021-10-22 CORONA VIRUS UPDATE #79 ... - October 29th, 2021
- Mydecine Reports Successful Synthesis of Novel Tryptamine Improving the Pharmaceutical Properties of Psilocin - October 28th, 2021
- Werewolf Therapeutics to Present Data on its INDUKINE™ Product Candidates at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Annual Meeting - October 28th, 2021
- InflaRx Announces Positive Data from Third Cohort of Phase IIa Open-Label Study with Vilobelimab in Pyoderma Gangraenosum - October 28th, 2021
- Science 37® and CMIC Announce Partnership to Advance Decentralized Clinical Trials in Japan/APAC and Speed Drug Development - October 28th, 2021
- Science 37® and 3H Medi Solution Collaborate to Enable Decentralized Clinical Trials in Japan and Accelerate Patient Enrollment - October 28th, 2021
- Context Therapeutics® and Wisconsin Oncology Network Announce First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 Trial of ONA-XR in Metastatic Breast Cancer - October 28th, 2021
- Intercept to Announce Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 3, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- Medicenna Announces FDA Clearance of IND to Expand the Phase 1/2 ABILITY Study of MDNA11 to the United States - October 28th, 2021
- Histogen to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 10, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- Monopar Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1b Trial Evaluating Camsirubicin for the Treatment of Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma - October 28th, 2021
- Solaris Pharma Receives FDA Approval for Generic Metrogel-Vaginal® - October 28th, 2021
- Central IRB Approved for ABV-1505 Phase II Part II in Taiwan Sites - October 28th, 2021
- Silo Pharma Enters into Sponsored Research Agreement with Columbia University to Develop Psychedelic Therapeutics for Alzheimer’s Disease - October 28th, 2021
- TRACON to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Company Highlights on November 3, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- World Leading Drug Delivery Researcher Professor Ryan Donnelly Joins PharmaTher as Scientific and Technical Advisor - October 28th, 2021
- Better Choice Company to Host Third Quarter 2021 Earnings Call on November 10th at 8:30 a.m. ET - October 28th, 2021
- PDS Biotech Chief Medical Officer, Lauren V. Wood, to Present at the 2021 International Head and Neck Cancer Conference - October 28th, 2021
- Covid News: Fear of Delta Is Motivating Americans to Get Shots More Than Mandates, Survey Finds - The New York Times - October 23rd, 2021
- COVID news live: Vaccines alone won't be enough to curb the pandemic, WHO warns - Sky News - October 23rd, 2021
- If Youve Had Covid, Do You Need the Vaccine? - The New York Times - October 14th, 2021
- National University (NU) Corona Vaccine Registration - October 10th, 2021
- Coronavirus News and latest stories | The Jerusalem Post - October 10th, 2021
- Pfizer Asks F.D.A. to Authorize Its Covid-19 Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 - The New York Times - October 7th, 2021
- YouTube is taking strict actions to prevent the spread of Covid-19 Vaccine misinformation with its new updated policy - Digital Information World - October 1st, 2021
- Some say COVID-19 vaccine is the 'mark of the beast.' Is there a connection to the Bible? - USA TODAY - September 27th, 2021
- Learn More About COVID-19 Vaccines From the FDA - FDA.gov - September 26th, 2021
- California Coronavirus Updates: Those Who Are Immunocompromised Or Over Age 65 Will Benefit The Most From Vaccine Booster - Capital Public Radio News - September 26th, 2021
- TD Garden requiring COVID-19 vaccination or negative test for Bruins, Celtics games - Boston Herald - September 26th, 2021
- Pressure Grows on U.S. Companies to Share Covid Vaccine Technology - The New York Times - September 23rd, 2021
- What Is the R.1 COVID-19 Variant? Here's What We Know So Far - Health.com - September 23rd, 2021