Confirmed cases of COVID-19 have passed 188.3 million globally, according to Johns Hopkins University. The number of confirmed deaths stands at more than 4.05 million. More than 3.51 billion vaccination doses have been administered globally, according to Our World in Data.
Haiti received on Wednesday its first 500,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines donated by the US government through the COVAX vaccine distribution scheme, regional health officials said.
South Korea is sending a medical team to the Middle East to tackle a coronavirus outbreak on one of its ships on anti-piracy patrol. New daily infections in South Korea are hovering around record levels with 1,600 reported on Thursday.
More than 5,000 anti-vaccine protesters rallied in Athens on Wednesday to oppose Greece's coronavirus vaccinations programme.
Police in Paris clashed with demonstrators protesting against President Emmanuel Macron's plan to require a COVID-19 vaccine certificate or negative PCR test to gain entry to bars, restaurants and cinemas from next month.
Singapore reported its highest number of local coronavirus cases in 10 months on Wednesday, after the discovery of a cluster among hostesses and customers of KTV karaoke lounges.
The Australian state of Victoria was ordered into a five-day lockdown on Thursday following a spike in COVID-19 infections. The city of Sydney is also in lockdown as the two main population hubs battle an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta variant.
How case numbers are rising around the globe.
Image: Our World in Data
A number of COVID-19 cases have emerged involving athletes and others taking part in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, reports Reuters.
The following is a list to date, in chronological order.
JUNE 20 - A coach with Uganda's squad tests positive on arrival at Narita airport and is quarantined at a government-designated facility. The rest of the team heads by bus to their host city, Izumisano near Osaka in western Japan.
JUNE 23 - A Ugandan athlete tests positive, Izumisano officials said.
JULY 4 - A member of Serbia's Olympic rowing team tests positive on arrival. The other four team members are isolated as close contacts.
JULY 9 - One Lithuanian and one Israeli athlete test positive, according to reports. Later reports say the Lithuanian's results were unclear and subsequently tested negative.
JULY 14 - A masseur for the Russian women's rugby sevens team tests positive, forcing the team into isolation for two days, the RIA news agency reports. Officials in Munakata, southwestern Japan, confirmed that one staff member was hospitalised and said none of the team members could be considered close contacts.
- The refugee Olympic team has delayed its arrival in Japan following a positive case with a team official in Doha, Qatar. The infected official is in quarantine without symptoms and 26 of the 29 refugees will remain in their Doha training camp.
- Seven staff at a hotel in Hamamatsu, central Japan, where dozens of Brazilian athletes are staying have tested positive, a city official said.
- Twenty-one members of the South African rugby team are in isolation after they are believed to have been in close contact with a case on their flight.
JULY 15 - Eight athletes from the Kenya women's rugby team were classified as close contacts after a positive coronavirus case was found on their flight to Tokyo, said an official with the southwestern city of Kurume, where they were set to hold a training camp.
The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone and not the World Economic Forum.
Read more here:
COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 15 July - World Economic Forum
- 15 more Utahns die of COVID-19 in the past day - Salt Lake Tribune - September 23rd, 2021
- Moderna CEO says COVID-19 pandemic could be over in a year - Fox Business - September 23rd, 2021
- Severe COVID-19 may trigger autoimmune conditions; New variants cause more virus in the air - Reuters - September 23rd, 2021
- She's an Anchorage nurse. Her brother died of COVID-19 at the hospital where she works. - Anchorage Daily News - September 23rd, 2021
- Americans who relied most on Trump for COVID-19 news among least likely to be vaccinated - Pew Research Center - September 23rd, 2021
- What Is the R.1 COVID Variant? Experts Share What It Could Mean for the U.S. - Prevention.com - September 23rd, 2021
- Influenza Season Begins With Strained Critical Care Facilities and Staffing from COVID-19 - AustinTexas.gov - September 23rd, 2021
- Return to school has caused a surge in covid-19 cases in under-vaccinated counties - The Economist - September 23rd, 2021
- Houston Health Department to offer on campus COVID-19 testing in schools - City of Houston - September 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 live updates: Hospitalizations reach another all-time high in Iowa for 2021 - ABC News - September 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 September - World Economic Forum - September 23rd, 2021
- Loveland clinic owner refused to stop overstating effectiveness of alleged COVID-19 cures, AG says - 9News.com KUSA - September 23rd, 2021
- Nearly 10000 new COVID-19 cases reported by Ohio schools this week - NBC4 WCMH-TV - September 23rd, 2021
- Funeral procession planned Friday for FHP Trooper who died of COVID-19 - Wink News - September 23rd, 2021
- Jonas Brothers concert to require COVID-19 test or vaccination - WSYR - September 23rd, 2021
- FCPS grieves the loss of 15-year-old sophomore to COVID-19 - LEX18 Lexington KY News - September 23rd, 2021
- China imposes local lockdowns as COVID-19 cases surge - September 17th, 2021
- Exhaustion, regret in the halls of hospitals as COVID-19 continues to threaten Michigan - Detroit Free Press - September 17th, 2021
- Texas doctors, seeing unprecedented numbers of pregnant patients with COVID-19, urge pregnant people to get vaccinated - The Texas Tribune - September 17th, 2021
- Alaska once had the highest vaccination rate. Now it's in a COVID-19 crisis. - ABC News - September 17th, 2021
- Inside the COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through the Red Sox - The Boston Globe - September 17th, 2021
- Maine reports 1390 COVID-19 cases, 52 active outbreaks in schools - pressherald.com - September 17th, 2021
- Idaho Is Rationing Health Care Statewide As It Struggles To Cope With COVID-19 - NPR - September 17th, 2021
- Lee Health treating 333 COVID-19 patients as of Friday morning - Wink News - September 17th, 2021
- 3000 Health Care Workers In France Have Been Suspended For Not Getting A COVID Shot - NPR - September 17th, 2021
- New Hanover County reports record-high 37 COVID-19 deaths in the past week - Communications and Outreach - Communications and Outreach - North... - September 17th, 2021
- MSDH: 15 pregnant women have died from COVID-19 in Mississippi - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 17th, 2021
- Covid-19 Rapid Testing in U.S. Lags Behind Other Countries in Delta Wave - The Wall Street Journal - September 17th, 2021
- How low exactly is COVID-19 transmission in the San Francisco Bay Area right now? - SFGate - September 17th, 2021
- Trial over COVID-19 outbreak in Austria's 'Ibiza of the Alps' begins - Reuters - September 17th, 2021
- Why California Has One of the Lowest Covid-19 Rates in the Nation - The New York Times - September 17th, 2021
- Wrongly convicted man dies of Covid-19, nine years after he was exonerated - CNN - September 17th, 2021
- Beijing 2022 Games to have rigorous COVID-19 measures-IOC - Reuters - September 17th, 2021
- Fear is our worst enemy when it comes to COVID-19 and children | Opinion - The Philadelphia Inquirer - September 17th, 2021
- More Than 1,200 Mass. Kids Test Positive For COVID-19 This Week - CBS Boston - September 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 9-16-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - September 17th, 2021
- A journey inside the human body as it goes to war with COVID-19 - USA TODAY - September 17th, 2021
- 54 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, 2 new clusters - The Garden Island - September 17th, 2021
- 1 in every 500 US residents have died of Covid-19 - CNN - September 15th, 2021
- COVID is on its way to becoming just another virus ... - September 15th, 2021
- In her obituary, a family says a mother's Covid-19 death could have been prevented if more people were vaccinated - CNN - September 15th, 2021
- When will the COVID-19 pandemic end? McKinsey experts explain | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - September 15th, 2021
- Here's What Worries Air Travelers More Than Getting Covid-19 - Forbes - September 15th, 2021
- Betadines maker says you shouldnt ingest it for COVID-19 treatment or any other reason - WNCT - September 15th, 2021
- 14 new COVID-19 cases & one nonresident death reported for Juneau City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - September 15th, 2021
- DHEC Updates Its Statewide School COVID-19 Reporting to Include Quarantined and Isolated Students and School Employees - SCDHEC - September 15th, 2021
- New Mexico health, education officials to address states COVID-19 trends Wednesday - KRQE News 13 - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers Say Some People Have Developed Superhuman Immunity Against COVID-19 - CBS Dallas / Fort Worth - September 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines: Here's how to spot misinformation on social media and fight it - Detroit Free Press - September 15th, 2021
- How the U.S. Nailed the Economic Response to Covid-19 - The Wall Street Journal - September 15th, 2021
- Charlie Baker says a lot of people got the COVID-19 outbreak in Provincetown all wrong - Boston.com - September 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 568 total new cases; Death toll increases to 2,093; Active cases at 7,364 - KELOLAND.com - September 15th, 2021
- Majority in U.S. Says Public Health Benefits of COVID-19 Restrictions Worth the Costs, Even as Large Shares Also See Downsides - Pew Research Center - September 15th, 2021
- Federated learning for predicting clinical outcomes in patients with COVID-19 - Nature.com - September 15th, 2021
- Colorado radio host who urged boycott of vaccines dies of Covid-19 - The Guardian - September 15th, 2021
- Regular COVID-19 testing in Austin schools could be more effective than mask wearing, UT analysis shows - KXAN.com - September 15th, 2021
- Color-coded school thresholds added to Utah COVID-19 dashboard | Utah Department of Health - Utah Department of Health - September 15th, 2021
- Bartholomew County reporting three new COVID-19 deaths - The Republic - September 15th, 2021
- Increasing COVID-19 patients having negative impacts on ambulance response times - KPTV.com - September 15th, 2021
- Elementary school closes because of COVID-19 and other illnesses - East Idaho News - September 15th, 2021
- FDA Will Follow The Science On COVID-19 Vaccines For Young Children | FDA - FDA.gov - September 15th, 2021
- COVID Dashboard - September 13th, 2021
- Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - September 13th, 2021
- COVID-19 in Arkansas: Hospitalizations down for the fifth straight day - KARK - September 13th, 2021
- First known A&M student reported to have died from COVID-19 complications - Texas A&M The Battalion - September 13th, 2021
- Parents Grow Increasingly Concerned As COVID-19 Cases Continue To Rise - CBS Baltimore - September 13th, 2021
- Study finds who may get more severe illness from a COVID-19 breakthrough case - SFGate - September 13th, 2021
- Like 9/11, COVID-19s toll set to shape a generation - NJ Spotlight - September 13th, 2021
- Austin Arts & Music festival latest event canceled due to COVID-19 while others resume - KXAN.com - September 13th, 2021
- The COVID-19 surge is overwhelming emergency rooms across Virginia - Virginia Mercury - September 13th, 2021
- MDHHS issues guidance for parents with children exposed to COVID-19 - WLNS - September 13th, 2021
- Low incidence of breakthrough infections at YNHHS highlights importance of COVID-19 vaccines - Yale Daily News - September 13th, 2021
- Alaska's COVID-19 hospitalizations have hit new all-time highs. Here's what that number really reflects. - Anchorage Daily News - September 13th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases among children in Oregon, Lane County higher than ever during pandemic - The Register-Guard - September 13th, 2021
- VERIFY: Do NFL fans have to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to attend games? - WCNC.com - September 13th, 2021
- Regeneron, effective in treating COVID-19, arrives in Kitsap County - Kitsap Sun - September 13th, 2021
- Despite early jump on COVID-19, tribes lose a brother and a son - OPB News - September 13th, 2021
- DHHR adds more than 2,200 COVID-19 cases on Sunday - West Virginia MetroNews - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens Covid-19 Vaccine Mandate Further Stresses Supply of Rapid Tests - The Wall Street Journal - September 13th, 2021
- Travel and Covid-19 Testing: What to Know if Youre Flying or Taking a Cruise - The Wall Street Journal - September 13th, 2021