Confirmed cases of COVID-19 have passed 230 million globally, according to Johns Hopkins University. The number of confirmed deaths stands at more than 4.71 million. More than 6.01 billion vaccination doses have been administered globally, according to Our World in Data.
Alaska has imposed crisis-care standards for its entire hospital system after a surge in COVID-19 patients put an extreme strain on resources.
New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, has said the country should aim for a 90%-plus vaccination rate - and could drop lockdown measures once enough people were vaccinated.
South Korea has urged citizens to get a COVID-19 test after the Chuseok holiday week.
The Pan American Health Organization warned yesterday that countries in the region could continue to face COVID-19 outbreaks 'well into 2022'.
Uganda has eased COVID-19 restrictions following a decline in infections in the country.
Ukraine is planning mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for some jobs, including teachers and employees of state institutions and local governments, Health Minister Oleh Lyashko said yesterday.
New confirmed daily COVID-19 cases have hit their highest total this year in Romania, with cases doubling in a week.
Germany plans to stop paying compensation to unvaccinated workers who are forced into quarantine by coronavirus measures as it is unfair to ask taxpayers to subsidize those who refuse to get inoculated, Health Minister Jens Spahn said yesterday.
The United States Food and Drug Administration has approved a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for those 65 and older, all people at high risk of severe disease, and others who are regularly exposed to the virus.
The World Health Organization Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has called on countries to boost vaccine supplies to parts of the world where vaccination rates remain low.
"We need an ironclad global commitment today to support the vaccination of at least 40% of the population of every country by the end of this year, and 70% by mid-2022," Dr Tedros told a US-hosted session on ending the pandemic.
To achieve that, we need two billion doses for low- and lower-middle-income countries right now. "We call on the countries and companies that control the global supply of vaccines to swap their near-term vaccine deliveries with COVAX and AVAT; to fulfil their dose-sharing pledges immediately; and to facilitate the immediate sharing of technology, know-how and intellectual property."
Dr Tedros' calls echoed those of the United Nations Secretary-General Antnio Guterres and leaders from developing nations from around the world.
Countries including the United States, Italy, Spain and Japan have announced new or increased pledges for vaccine donations.
COVID-19 vaccine doses administered by country income group.
Image: Our World in Data
Syria is facing a new surge in COVID-19 infections that could overwhelm the country's fragile health system, aid workers, officials and medical sources said yesterday. Rising cases are being seen in government-held regions and areas outside state control.
"The occupancy of intensive care units (ICU) for COVID-19 patients have reached close to 100%," said Issam al-Amin, the head of Mouwasat University Hospital, one of the largest public hospitals in the capital city of Damascus, with over 800 beds.
Government health authorities said the number of cases reported in the last 24 hours has hit 235, the highest daily tally since the first case was reported in March last year.
NGOs, independent medics and aid workers say official data reflects a small fraction of the real toll. Just a small fraction of the country's population has received a COVID-19 vaccine.
Each of our Top 50 social enterprise last mile responders and multi-stakeholder initiatives is working across four priority areas of need: Prevention and protection; COVID-19 treatment and relief; inclusive vaccine access; and securing livelihoods. The list was curated jointly with regional hosts Catalyst 2030s NASE and Aavishkaar Group. Their profiles can be found on http://www.wef.ch/lastmiletop50india.
Top Last Mile Partnership Initiatives to collaborate with:
Joe Myers, Writer, Formative Content
The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone and not the World Economic Forum.
Originally posted here:
COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 September - World Economic Forum
- Natural immunity is good. Getting vaccinated after being sick with COVID-19 is better. - USA TODAY - October 19th, 2021
- COVID-19 and pregnancy: Women regret not getting the vaccine - The Boston Globe - October 19th, 2021
- Atea's antiviral pill fails to clear Covid-19, forcing a re-think - STAT - STAT - October 19th, 2021
- Governor Hochul Announces New COVID-19 Data Hub Website to Expand Public Access, Centralize Information and Improve the User Experience - ny.gov - October 19th, 2021
- Nearly every person in Iran seems to have had covid-19 at least once - New Scientist - October 19th, 2021
- Convicted murderer Robert Durst hospitalized with COVID-19 - ABC News - October 19th, 2021
- Biden Admin to Lift COVID-19 Travel Restrictions for Vaccinated - The National Law Review - October 19th, 2021
- Lawyer: Robert Durst is in the hospital with COVID-19 - NPR - October 17th, 2021
- State records 4,485 new COVID-19 infections; 83 in Valley - Sunbury Daily Item - October 17th, 2021
- A dad who traveled 1,200 miles for Covid-19 care is finally going home. Here's what he wants you to know - CNN - October 17th, 2021
- More Covid-19 boosters are on the horizon. But not everyone will need one, experts say - CNN - October 17th, 2021
- Cam Newton reportedly receives COVID-19 vaccine as he looks to sign with NFL team - Sporting News - October 17th, 2021
- Dozens of lawsuits seek to force hospitals to treat COVID-19 with ivermectin | TheHill - The Hill - October 17th, 2021
- The Children Who Lost a Parent to COVID-19 - The Atlantic - October 17th, 2021
- Reddit channel posts stories of anti-vaxxers dying of Covid, scaring fence-sitters into getting the shot - CNBC - October 17th, 2021
- Fans excited to celebrate game day in Tiger Stadium without COVID-19 protocols - WBRZ - October 17th, 2021
- Analysis: With boosters, masks and Green Pass, Israel sees a COVID-19 wave in retreat - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 318 total new cases; Death toll rises to 2,189; Active cases at 5,868 - KELOLAND.com - October 17th, 2021
- Some Sixers thought Ben Simmons lied about COVID-19 exposure to try to get out of Game 7 vs. Hawks, per report - CBS Sports - October 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 testing can be hard to come by in Northeast Ohio - News 5 Cleveland - October 17th, 2021
- More Victorians died of COVID-19 in August than any other point in the pandemic - Victoria Advocate - October 17th, 2021
- Kyrie Irving, angry parents and personal choice in the Covid-19 culture war - CNN - October 17th, 2021
- Is there truly no COVID-19 in Turkmenistan? Experts weigh in - Medical News Today - October 14th, 2021
- Wednesday, October 13, 2021 COVID-19 Updates | Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - COVID-19 - October 14th, 2021
- Wisconsin hospitals urge COVID-19 vaccination for staff now required to have shot - Wisconsin Public Radio News - October 14th, 2021
- Texas considers law that would ban COVID-19 mandates in the state - NPR - October 14th, 2021
- Legislature doesn't notify everyone in hearing with COVID-19 exposures - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - October 14th, 2021
- The hidden cost of Covid-19: years of life lost among the young - STAT - STAT - October 14th, 2021
- WVU Today | WVU School of Public Health aids state efforts to boost COVID-19 vaccination among minority communities - WVU Today - October 14th, 2021
- DPH chief sees very good trend on COVID-19 cases - WWLP.com - October 14th, 2021
- New Navy Guidance Will Discharge Sailors Refusing COVID-19 Vaccination Without Exemption - USNI News - USNI News - October 14th, 2021
- NEW: 45 deaths in Nevada, but COVID-19 cases and test positivity continue to fall - KLAS - 8 News Now - October 14th, 2021
- UnitedHealth expects smaller hit from COVID-19 in 2022 - Reuters - October 14th, 2021
- Wisconsin students have to do safety drills every year. With COVID-19, some schools are approaching them differently - Wisconsin Public Radio News - October 14th, 2021
- New Zealand reports biggest rise in COVID-19 cases in six weeks - Reuters - October 14th, 2021
- Columbus Division of Police officer dies after COVID-19 illness - NBC4 WCMH-TV - October 14th, 2021
- Bears RB Damien Williams placed on COVID-19 list - The Athletic - October 14th, 2021
- 86 new COVID-19 cases reported for Juneau Oct. 9 thru 11 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - October 12th, 2021
- Appleton earmarks $2 million in federal COVID-19 aid to support renovation and expansion of library - Post-Crescent - October 12th, 2021
- Sydney COVID-19 cases ease further as focus shifts to reviving economy - Reuters - October 12th, 2021
- Whats the deal with NJs unspent COVID-19 relief? - NJ Spotlight - October 12th, 2021
- Ingham County health officer: COVID-19 is here to stay - WOODTV.com - October 12th, 2021
- Denby Fawcett: Covid-19 Can't Be Wiped Out But It Can Be Managed - Honolulu Civil Beat - October 12th, 2021
- Howard University Homecoming closed to alumni due to COVID-19 pandemic - FOX 5 DC - October 12th, 2021
- Is it COVID-19, the flu, or RSV? Doctor offers tips - NBC4 WCMH-TV - October 12th, 2021
- Two Bengals placed on reserve/COVID-19 list after playing Sunday - Acme Packing Company - October 12th, 2021
- Indiana sees decline in first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccinations - WANE - October 12th, 2021
- Boston Marathon organizer says 93 percent of participants are vaccinated against COVID-19 - Boston.com - October 12th, 2021
- When Will the Covid-19 Pandemic Be Over? - Gizmodo - October 12th, 2021
- How your emotional response to the COVID-19 pandemic changed your behavior and your sense of time - KUT - October 12th, 2021
- Amazon sued by warehouse workers over COVID-19 screening pay - Reuters - October 12th, 2021
- Fauci says he 'strongly suspects' that COVID-19 deaths will go down in the winter | TheHill - The Hill - October 10th, 2021
- Are COVID-19's big waves over? Experts are split | TheHill - The Hill - October 10th, 2021
- A look at major COVID-19 developments over the past week - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - October 10th, 2021
- Ivey extends limited COVID-19 health emergency to Oct. 31 - WIAT - CBS42.com - October 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 case rates remain high in Inland Northwest - The Spokesman Review - October 10th, 2021
- Johnson: Hospitals overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients 'doesn't mean there's some massive crisis' - Wisconsin Public Radio News - October 10th, 2021
- Onondaga County and Kinney Drugs to host COVID-19 booster clinic Thursday, October 14 - CNYcentral.com - October 10th, 2021
- So far this year, schools report far higher rates of COVID-19 in students, staff - WBUR - October 10th, 2021
- Learning the lessons of health care worker burnout from Covid-19- STAT - STAT - October 7th, 2021
- Explainer: What researchers say about the long-term effects of COVID-19 - Reuters - October 7th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccine mandates pressure employees to get their ... - October 7th, 2021
- Public Health urges vaccination as COVID-19 metrics improve, expands booster shot clinic - Communications and Outreach - Communications and Outreach -... - October 7th, 2021
- DHHR reports active COVID-19 cases about the same - West Virginia MetroNews - October 7th, 2021
- Best Practices For Documenting The Covid-19 Vaccination Status Of Employees - Forbes - October 7th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 474 total new cases; Death toll rises to 2,170; Active cases at 6,716 - KELOLAND.com - October 7th, 2021
- Here's how one college system kept Covid-19 cases down as they surged throughout the state - CNN - October 7th, 2021
- Hungary has offered help to Romania in treating COVID-19 patients - foreign ministry - Reuters - October 7th, 2021
- Minnesota to expand COVID-19 testing options in schools - Minnesota Public Radio News - October 7th, 2021
- Grant program in Chesapeake on wastewater tests for COVID-19 to possibly expand - 13newsnow.com WVEC - October 7th, 2021
- Onondaga County school switching to remote learning because of Covid-19 cases and quarantines - syracuse.com - October 7th, 2021
- Newest state workers face termination over COVID-19 mandates - The CT Mirror - October 7th, 2021
- NCDHHS: 70% of NC adults have received first dose of COVID-19 vaccine - WNCT - October 7th, 2021
- COVID-19 reinfection likely for the unvaccinated - WANE - October 7th, 2021
- Austin PD will start testing uniformed officers for COVID-19 every week - KXAN.com - October 7th, 2021
- WV Gov. Justice reads through 97 COVID-19 deaths Thursday, the most yet - WBOY.com - October 7th, 2021
- Should your vaccination status be on your resume? Heres what experts say - CNBC - October 7th, 2021
- Researchers say Hawaii Health Department officials have refused to share COVID-19 data - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - October 7th, 2021
- Health expert weighs in on where Washington stands in reaching COVID-19 herd immunity - KING5.com - October 7th, 2021
- Patchogue, NY Coronavirus Updates & News For September 29 - October 3rd, 2021