Shortages of lateral flow tests (LFTs) and lack of walk-in test slots across England are threatening to undermine the governments plans for New Years Eve celebrations to go ahead unimpeded.
Pharmacies across England report having run out of test kits for distribution to the public before Christmas, and have been unable to receive additional kits as the supply chain has been disrupted by the Christmas and Boxing Day holidays.
Some community pharmacies in rural areas said they had not received deliveries of LFTs since early last week, although many remained closed on Monday and Tuesday because of the extended bank holidays.
People turning to the government website were also out of luck: on Tuesday morning it said no delivery slots for LFTs were available, for the second day in a row. But by mid-afternoon deliveries were again being offered, with a warning that the LFT kits could take three days to arrive.
The site also indicated that there were no walk-in LFT or PCR tests available anywhere in England on Tuesday morning. By early afternoon the site was indicating availability of PCR tests in most parts of England, although some areas were close to running out.
The UK Health Security Agency said it encouraged people to revisit the sites every few hours if they were unable to order tests, as more would become available, and to use any tests they may already have before ordering or collecting more kits.
A spokesperson said: Despite unprecedented demand, we are continuing to supply millions of rapid lateral flow tests every day. Our total delivery capacity has doubled to 900,000 test kits per day since Saturday 18 December so more people can order tests.
During periods of exceptional demand there may be temporary pauses in ordering or receiving tests, to ensure we manage distribution across the system and support changing requirements for LFD [lateral flow device] and PCR tests, and delivery capacity was reduced over Christmas and the bank holiday.
Tests were available in all regions of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, according to the site.
On Monday the government declined to impose further Covid curbs in England, allowing nightclubs and pubs to open for New Years Eve and giving other mass events the go-ahead.
Sajid Javid, the health secretary, said; Of course people should remain cautious as we approach new year celebrations and take a lateral flow test if that makes sense.
Covid cases in England reached a new high of 113,628 on Christmas Day, and 1,281 people were admitted to hospital, the highest daily figure since mid-February.
Official data on new Covid cases, which was delayed over the festive period, also showed 98,515 new confirmed cases reported in England on Monday. Data for Boxing Day from England and Wales combined revealed 108,893 new cases reported.
Case numbers have also hit new highs in Scotland, where 8,252 cases were reported for Christmas Day, 11,030 on Boxing Day and 10,562 on Monday.
Demand for tests has soared during the Christmas holiday period, with positive test results reaching record levels in England as the Omicron variant continues to spread rapidly.
Demand further increased last week after the government cut the self-isolation period for England from 10 to seven days for those with negative LFT results on day six and seven. The 10-day self-isolation period remains in force in Wales and Scotland.
Pharmacies are limited to receiving one carton of tests a day. The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee said its members were struggling to meet demand, and asked for the public to be patient with pharmacists, who were working extremely hard over the Christmas period.
A spokesperson for Boots said: Boots provides access to Covid-19 lateral flow device test kits on behalf of the NHS. We are able to order more stock from the NHS each day and are therefore restocking regularly, but due to high demand over the holiday season, some stores will run out before the end of the day.
Wes Streeting, the shadow health secretary, said: People are trying to do the right thing, follow the governments own advice, and test themselves regularly, but are prevented by the Conservative governments incompetence.
They need to get a grip and provide enough tests so people can keep themselves and everyone else safe.
The rest is here:
Covid test shortages threaten New Years Eve celebrations in England - The Guardian
- Is a universal coronavirus vaccine on the horizon? - National Geographic - January 19th, 2022
- Boris Johnson says Englands virus rules will ease next week. - The New York Times - January 19th, 2022
- Coronavirus Roundup: One Year of the Biden COVID-19 Response - GovExec.com - January 19th, 2022
- Thousands in Hong Kong volunteer to adopt hamsters amid COVID-19 fears - Reuters - January 19th, 2022
- Coronavirus spreading like never before in Americas, health agency says - Reuters Canada - January 19th, 2022
- Here are the latest COVID-19 numbers for Wednesday, January 19 - WNEP Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - January 19th, 2022
- How does COVID-19 misinformation compare with other health topics? - Medical News Today - January 19th, 2022
- 538 more coronavirus cases have been reported across Maine - Bangor Daily News - January 19th, 2022
- Is headache a symptom of the omicron COVID variant? - FOX31 Denver - January 19th, 2022
- Omicron won't be the last COVID-19 variant, WHO says - WXYZ - January 19th, 2022
- The cGAS-STING pathway drives type I IFN immunopathology in COVID-19 - Nature.com - January 19th, 2022
- Lesson of the Day: At-Home Coronavirus Tests Are Inaccessible to Blind People - The New York Times - January 19th, 2022
- With many wondering whether Omicron means we're approaching the endemic phase of Covid-19, Fauci cautions it's still too soon to tell - CNN - January 18th, 2022
- Study on 4th COVID vaccine dose shows effectiveness; results against omicron unclear - WXYZ - January 18th, 2022
- Coronavirus in Ohio Monday update: Over 19,500 new cases, 2.4 million total - NBC4 WCMH-TV - January 18th, 2022
- Preparing for the endemic stage of COVID-19: What this looks like - KOIN.com - January 18th, 2022
- White House to offer free COVID tests beginning Wednesday how to get them - KXAN.com - January 18th, 2022
- COVID tests, other public service events on MLK Day in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - January 18th, 2022
- Covid loses 90% of ability to infect within 20 minutes in air study - The Guardian - January 18th, 2022
- Federal at-home COVID-19 tests will be available this week - KRIS Corpus Christi News - January 18th, 2022
- One year later: What symptoms do some COVID-19 patients still have? - WKBW-TV - January 18th, 2022
- Novel coronavirus - Wikipedia - January 16th, 2022
- Virus Outbreak: Covid (Coronavirus) News and Analysis From Jan. 15 - Bloomberg - January 16th, 2022
- Corona Virus SalzburgerLand.com - January 16th, 2022
- Protest in Netherlands against coronavirus measures - Reuters - January 16th, 2022
- For Coronavirus Testing, the Nose May Not Always Be Best - The New York Times - January 16th, 2022
- 14 more Mainers have died and another 1,359 coronavirus cases reported across the state - Bangor Daily News - January 16th, 2022
- Encouraging signs plan B Covid measures may soon be lifted in England - The Guardian - January 16th, 2022
- Experts warn against using Benadryl and milk to treat COVID, despite NC lawmakers post - KXAN.com - January 16th, 2022
- What do we know about the 175,000 people who died of Covid in the UK? - The Guardian - January 16th, 2022
- Coronavirus Data for January 12, 2022 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - January 16th, 2022
- How The mRNA Vaccines Were Made: Halting Progress and Happy Accidents - The New York Times - January 16th, 2022
- Brazil registers 48520 new cases of coronavirus and 175 deaths-health ministry - Reuters - January 16th, 2022
- 3 big Covid misconceptions people still have, according to infectious disease experts - CNBC - January 16th, 2022
- High demand for COVID testing calls Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall to action - KHON2 - January 16th, 2022
- The Covid Race to Watch: Vaccines vs. Variants - The Wall Street Journal - January 16th, 2022
- Hacking a home COVID test by adding a throat swab is a hot topic on Twitter : Goats and Soda - NPR - January 13th, 2022
- Coronavirus Data for January 11, 2022 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - January 13th, 2022
- Shawnee County Covid Indicator shows cases of coronavirus rising by more than 25% - KSNT News - January 13th, 2022
- Coronavirus in Ohio Thursday update: More than 19,000 new cases reported - NBC4 WCMH-TV - January 13th, 2022
- England cuts coronavirus isolation to 5 days - POLITICO Europe - January 13th, 2022
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 2,584 total new cases; Death toll rises to 2,544; Active cases at 24,796 - KELOLAND.com - January 13th, 2022
- The Real Reason Americans Aren't Isolating - The Atlantic - January 13th, 2022
- China: Over 20 million in COVID-19 lockdown ahead of 2022 Olympics - NPR - January 13th, 2022
- Coronavirus in Arkansas: another record as over 10,000 new cases reported, 14 more deaths - KNWA - January 13th, 2022
- Utah surge ongoing with 12,990 new COVID-19 cases Thursday - fox13now.com - January 13th, 2022
- Increasing demand for coronavirus tests in Southern Oregon - KDRV - January 13th, 2022
- The Mood in the Capitol Was Already Dark. Then Came Omicron. - The New York Times - January 13th, 2022
- Information for travellers in regards to the corona virus ... - January 10th, 2022
- Corona Virus Update, Currently There Are 179 active ... - January 10th, 2022
- A Surge in Hospitalized Young Children Infected With the Coronavirus - The New York Times - January 10th, 2022
- Coronavirus in Ohio Sunday update: Just over 19,000 new cases and less than 100 new hospitalizations - WKBN.com - January 10th, 2022
- Coronavirus Briefing: A Pandemic of the Forgotten - The New York Times - January 10th, 2022
- COVID-19 surge has overwhelmed some Pa. hospitals and now their workers are getting sick, too - The Philadelphia Inquirer - January 10th, 2022
- Coronavirus: should the UK make vaccination mandatory? - The Guardian - January 10th, 2022
- COVID-19: UK records 141,472 new cases and further 97 coronavirus-related deaths - Sky News - January 10th, 2022
- Flu and Covid at the Same Time? Your 'Flurona' Questions, Answered - The New York Times - January 10th, 2022
- States are scrambling to keep up with an increase in Covid-19 hospitalizations and the demand for testing - CNN - January 10th, 2022
- Health experts want to focus on 'new normal' with the coronavirus | TheHill - The Hill - January 10th, 2022
- Chicago's COVID-19 fight with teachers hangs over a 2nd week - KMTV - 3 News Now - January 10th, 2022
- From delta to omicron, heres how scientists know which coronavirus variants are circulating in the US - KRQE News 13 - January 10th, 2022
- Coronavirus Watch: Oregon breaks COVID-19 case record for the third day running - KDRV - January 7th, 2022
- From delta to omicron, here's how scientists know which coronavirus variants are circulating in the US - The Conversation US - January 7th, 2022
- Understanding flurona: person has the flu and the coronavirus simultaneously - fox2now.com - January 7th, 2022
- Rapid nasal COVID tests feared to be returning false negatives - Axios - January 7th, 2022
- COVID infections hit another daily record in Louisiana as hospitalizations rise - The Advocate - January 7th, 2022
- Coronavirus Data for January 4, 2022 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - January 7th, 2022
- If you give yourself a COVID test, who tracks the results? - Los Angeles Times - January 7th, 2022
- How TV Shows Are Moving Past the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - January 7th, 2022
- COVID-19 testing in Massachusetts impacted due to snow - WWLP.com - January 7th, 2022
- Washington to expand access to coronavirus tests, to help contain spread of COVID-19 - KOMO News - January 7th, 2022
- Coronavirus Omicron variant, vaccine, and case numbers in the United States: Jan. 7, 2022 - Medical Economics - January 7th, 2022
- Coronavirus in Ohio Thursday update: Another day of more than 19,000 new cases - WKBN.com - January 7th, 2022
- COVID-19: Did Omicron evolve in mice? - Medical News Today - January 7th, 2022
- Hogan says 10 new hospital-based COVID testing sites to open in Maryland - WTOP - January 7th, 2022
- Outbreak hits Rhode Island hospital after COVID-positive staff called in to work - fox4kc.com - January 7th, 2022
- Swedens king and queen test positive for the coronavirus. - The New York Times - January 5th, 2022
- W.H.O. Downplays Threat From New Virus Variant in France - The New York Times - January 5th, 2022
- Omicron estimated to be 95.4% of coronavirus variants in U.S. - CDC - Reuters - January 5th, 2022
- US COVID cases are on the rise, but this doctor sees hope on the horizon : Coronavirus Updates - NPR - January 5th, 2022