People wait after receiving a shot of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine at a mass vaccination center located inside a gym in Prague, Czech Republic, March 18, 2021. REUTERS/David W Cerny
PRAGUE, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The Czech Health Ministry is preparing a decree making COVID-19 vaccines mandatory for people over 60, as well as workers in critical sectors such as medical staff, police, soldiersand firefighters, news website http://www.idnes.cz reported on Friday.
The government has been considering compulsory vaccinations due to lagging inoculation numbers compared with west European nations. The country of 10.7 million has been one of the world's worst-hit in recent weeks by a surge in infections.
Some other European countries have begun moving towards compulsory vaccinations, including the Czech Republic's neighbour Austria, which has mandated shots for all citizens.
"It is clear that Europe is turning toward compulsory vaccination against COVID-19. Czechia should take the same path," the website quoted Vojtech as saying.
It said the decree should be published next week, with the vaccine mandate effective from March.
But whether it remains in place long enough to take effect could be in doubt, as the government is due to be replaced by a centre-right coalition later this month following an election in October. The new coalition has been against compulsory vaccination for age groups, and lukewarm on mandatory vaccination for professions.
Just 59.6% of Czechs are vaccinated, compared to an EU average of 66.3%, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).
Inoculation numbers rose in the past weeks as the government banned access for those not vaccinated to restaurants and other services from November. There have however been public protests against vaccination and epidemiological measures.
An opinion poll by the STEM agency released on Friday showed 19% of the population remained opposed to getting the shots.
It said the public was split 43% to 43% on supporting or rejecting compulsory vaccination.
The Czech Republic has reported 33,450 coronavirus deaths since the start of the pandemic, one of the worst rates per capita globally.
Reporting by Jan LopatkaEditing by Alison Williams and Peter Graff
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Czechs to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for over 60s -news website - Reuters
- How to add your COVID-19 vaccine records to Apple Health and Wallet on your iPhone - 9to5Mac - January 19th, 2022
- mRNA vaccines offer lasting protection against severe COVID-19 - Medical News Today - January 19th, 2022
- 10 Oregon counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate - KOIN.com - January 19th, 2022
- Researchers testing COVID-19 vaccine patch | TheHill - The Hill - January 19th, 2022
- How Florida hospitals are juggling plans over COVID-19 vaccination mandates - Becker's Hospital Review - January 19th, 2022
- How This DC Restaurant Is Honoring The COVID-19 Vaccine - Mashed - January 19th, 2022
- More walk-in COVID-19 vaccination sites opening this week in New Hampshire - WMUR Manchester - January 19th, 2022
- Conspiracy theories hamper Romania Covid-19 vaccination drive - TRT World - January 19th, 2022
- Shingles Vaccine and COVID-19 Vaccine Timing - Healthline - January 19th, 2022
- Duration of Protection against Mild and Severe Disease by Covid-19 Vaccines | NEJM - nejm.org - January 19th, 2022
- 4th COVID-19 vaccine offered to some immunocompromised Oklahomans - KFOR Oklahoma City - January 19th, 2022
- Sioux Falls man reflects on one year since first COVID-19 vaccine - KELOLAND.com - January 19th, 2022
- Calif. medical workers fight to bridge the Latino COVID-19 vaccination gap - Yahoo News - January 19th, 2022
- Almost 100,000 Ukrainians have received COVID-19 vaccine booster shot - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 18th, 2022
- Saratoga County announces upcoming COVID-19 vaccination schedule - The Saratogian - January 18th, 2022
- Where to Find COVID-19 Vaccines, Testing, Isolation Rules, Booster Providers and More - Noozhawk - January 18th, 2022
- 'Never' or just 'not yet?' How timing affects COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy - The Conversation CA - January 18th, 2022
- No, a study from Denmark didn't find that COVID-19 vaccines make people more prone to infection; biases in the study likely led to underestimated... - January 18th, 2022
- Polio team's support for COVID-19 vaccination demonstrates their value for global health - World - ReliefWeb - January 18th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine will soon be administered at DPSCD - WXYZ - January 18th, 2022
- LSU Health Shreveport COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Schedule - Bossier Press-Tribune Online - January 18th, 2022
- Opinion | The UI needs to incentivize COVID-19 safety measures - UI The Daily Iowan - January 18th, 2022
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the pandemic on 17 January - World Economic Forum - January 18th, 2022
- Who is still covered by COVID-19 vaccine mandates? - wausaupilotandreview.com - January 16th, 2022
- Heres how to get a QR code to prove your COVID-19 vaccine status through the states new website - The Boston Globe - January 16th, 2022
- COVAX delivers its 1 billionth COVID-19 vaccine dose - World Health Organization - January 16th, 2022
- Less than half of Wasco's residents are fully vaccinated. This vaccine clinic aims to change that - KERO 23ABC News - January 16th, 2022
- Adverse Reactions to the COVID-19 Vaccine: What to Know - Healthline - January 16th, 2022
- I am not misinformation a group of Covid-19 vaccine injured individuals share their e... - The Rio Times - January 16th, 2022
- Gov. Youngkin signs executive actions banning critical race theory, appointing new parole board, ending school mask mandate and vaccine mandate for... - January 16th, 2022
- MLK Day COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Clinic - City of San Antonio - City of San Antonio - January 16th, 2022
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination now required for most indoor public spaces in Boston - WCVB Boston - January 16th, 2022
- Study shows COVID-19 vaccines offer lasting protection - UNC News : UNC News - UNC News - January 13th, 2022
- Free giveaways to those who receive COVID-19 vaccine in Springfield - WWLP.com - January 13th, 2022
- WWE legend Hulk Hogan claims that COVID-19 vaccine can kill you: They are falling like flies - MARCA.com - January 13th, 2022
- Bill Gates says COVID-19 vaccines are 'missing two key things' - Fox Business - January 13th, 2022
- Live updates: Supreme Court Covid-19 vaccine rule and the latest on the Omicron variant - CNN - January 13th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccines saved more than 240,000 lives in US: research - Business Insider - January 11th, 2022
- COVID-19 Vaccine & Booster Information - Covid-19 Information - January 11th, 2022
- Utah Latinos trail other groups in COVID-19 vaccine rates. Here's why. - Salt Lake Tribune - January 11th, 2022
- Pittsylvania-Danville Health District to Host Two Additional COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics in January - Newsroom - Virginia Department of Health - January 11th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine and testing sites in Chesapeake this week - wtkr.com - January 11th, 2022
- U.S. Ranks 59th Globally for Covid-19 Vaccinations, Just Behind Iran - Gizmodo - January 11th, 2022
- Covid-19 Vaccines and Tests Boost Albertsons and CVS Sales - The Wall Street Journal - January 11th, 2022
- Mexico expecting nearly 27 mln COVID-19 vaccines in coming weeks - Reuters - January 11th, 2022
- Heres where you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and booster in Yakima County - Yakima Herald-Republic - January 11th, 2022
- One COVID vaccine to rule them all? What you need to know about the Army vaccine - CNET - January 10th, 2022
- What Covid-19 Vaccine Did You Get? You Probably Dont Know Its Name. - The Wall Street Journal - January 10th, 2022
- Effect of Covid-19 Vaccination on Transmission of Alpha and Delta Variants | NEJM - nejm.org - January 10th, 2022
- Mass Vaccination Sites for Covid-19 Are Back - The Wall Street Journal - January 10th, 2022
- DHS Recommends COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Dose for Everyone Ages 12 and Older - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - January 10th, 2022
- 4th COVID-19 vaccine dose: Whats the science behind another booster? - Global News - January 10th, 2022
- New groups eligible for drop-ins, and over 40K COVID-19 vaccination appointments still available this week for Ottawa residents - ottawa.ca - January 10th, 2022
- N.J. reports 12 COVID deaths and 26,615 cases as rate of transmission ticks down slightly - NJ.com - January 10th, 2022
- Cyprus reportedly discovers a Covid variant that combines omicron and delta - CNBC - January 10th, 2022
- NCCN Update on COVID-19 Vaccines and MAb Prophylaxis - Medscape - January 7th, 2022
- Czech tennis star detained in Australia before tournament over COVID-19 vaccination issues - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Inside the Spanish lab seeking the definitive Covid-19 vaccine - EL PAS in English - January 7th, 2022
- Mix-and-Matching COVID-19 Vaccinations - Contagionlive.com - January 7th, 2022
- Do you need a booster shot to be 'fully vaccinated' against COVID? What does 'up to date' mean? - CNET - January 7th, 2022
- COVID-19 Vaccines: What Does the Future Hold? - MedPage Today - January 5th, 2022
- What we've learned about the COVID-19 vaccine, from a Rockford OSF specialist - Rockford Register Star - January 5th, 2022
- 'Protect our hospitals' might convince Britons to get Covid-19 vaccines, but it won't work in the U.S. - STAT - January 5th, 2022
- Health department offering COVID-19 vaccines and testing - Cheboygan Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- How long after having COVID-19 should you get vaccinated? - MLive.com - January 5th, 2022
- No, declining the COVID-19 vaccine wont make you 99.8% safe from the virus - Tampa Bay Times - January 5th, 2022
- Most covid-19 vaccines have been used in rich countries - The Economist - January 5th, 2022
- Lottery-based incentives are of limited value in increasing COVID-19 vaccine uptake - News-Medical.Net - January 5th, 2022
- Clover Doses First Participants with Homologous Booster Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in SPECTRA - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Free COVID-19 vaccination and test sites throughout Houston - CW39 - January 5th, 2022
- Governor Abbott Sues To Protect Texas National Guard From President Biden's COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate - Office of the Texas Governor - January 5th, 2022
- The COVID-19 vaccination campaign in Bhutan: strategy and enablers - Infectious Diseases of Poverty - Infectious Diseases of Poverty - BioMed Central - January 5th, 2022
- Covid Live Updates: Latest on Omicron and Vaccines - The New York Times - January 4th, 2022
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Takes Multiple Actions to Expand Use of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine | FDA - FDA.gov - January 4th, 2022
- Booster Doses | COVID-19 Vaccine - January 4th, 2022
- Why aren't more teenagers getting the COVID-19 vaccine? - 11Alive.com WXIA - January 4th, 2022
- Michigan State University requires COVID-19 vaccine or negative test to attend athletic, arts events - FOX 2 Detroit - January 4th, 2022
- Daywatch: Chicagos COVID-19 vaccination mandate begins | One groups aggressive tactics in bid to reinstate sidelined clerics | Michael Phillips... - January 4th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine 2nd dose and booster drive to be held in Edwards - WJTV - January 4th, 2022
- Woman arrested for illegally injecting teen with COVID-19 vaccine - New York Post - January 4th, 2022