EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, Fla. Florida is not shutting down and COVID-19 "hospital admissions have slowed," Gov. Ron DeSantis emphatically declared on Tuesday, despite yet another day of record coronavirus hospitalizations in the Sunshine State.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said 11,515 people were hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Monday, including 2,400 in ICU beds.
RELATED: Florida hits record with 11,515 COVID-19 hospitalizations
In the face of that staggering number, DeSantis on Tuesday argued that statewide lockdowns have "failed time and time again throughout this pandemic" and "they have not stopped the spread."
"In terms of shutting down, we're not shutting down," DeSantis said during a news conference at Everglades National Park. "We're gonna have schools open. We're protecting every Floridian's job in this state. We're protecting people's small businesses."
WATCH NEWS CONFERENCE:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gives COVID-19 update
For the second time in just three days, Florida has recorded a record number of COVID-19 hospitalizations.
On Sunday, HHS reported that 10,593 people were hospitalized with confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Now on Tuesday, that number has climbed by 922 patients.
While DeSantis admitted that emergency room visits for COVID-like illness (CLI) went up "sharply" in July, he seemed to dismiss the record spike in hospitalizations, instead claiming they're now "plateauing."
"We are watching the CLI. That is plateauing. The hospital admissions have slowed. I don't think we've reached the peak yet. But I think we're gonna settle in hopefully this week or next week," DeSantis said.
Florida Agricultural Commissioner Nikki Fried -- who's running against DeSantis in the 2022 election -- quickly took to Twitter on Tuesday, saying the governor's claim that COVID-19 hospitalizations have slowed is simply "not true."
The governor on Tuesday said hospitals in Florida are seeing a lower median age of COVID-19 patients because more older residents are vaccinated against the virus.
According to the Florida Department of Health, 85% of Floridians ages 65 and older have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine as of July 29.
Between 12-to-39-year-olds, the highest percentage of those vaccinated is just 49%.
During Tuesday's news conference, DeSantis touted his administration's "Seniors First" vaccination strategy -- which started in late December and early January -- as a major factor in reducing COVID-19 mortality rates in Florida by 70% to 75% from this same time last year.
While the governor said almost 25,000 fully vaccinated Floridians have tested positive for COVID-19, he said their symptoms have been less severe.
"Yes, there are positive tests among vaccinated. At the same time, the mortality and all that data is very, very clear," DeSantis said. "We think that even amidst a lot of positive tests, you still see much less mortality than we did year-over-year. That's important."
RELATED: Palm Beach County health director compares current COVID-19 surge to worst of 2020
With DeSantis vehemently opposed to any type of coronavirus-related restrictions in the Sunshine State, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki on Monday urged the governor to do more to encourage people to get vaccinated and wear face masks, including allowing school districts to mandate facial coverings for students, which Psaki said is "not the current state of play in Florida."
"At a certain point, leaders are gonna have to choose whether they're gonna follow public health guidelines or they're going to follow politics," Psaki said. "And we certainly encourage all governors to follow the public health guidelines."
Psaki added that 20% of new COVID-19 cases nationwide are in Florida.
Follow this link:
Despite record COVID-19 hospitalizations, Florida's governor says 'admissions have slowed' - WPTV.com
- Dozens of travelers arriving in the Netherlands from South Africa test positive for Covid-19 - CNBC - November 27th, 2021
- 2 cases of the omicron variant have been identified in the United Kingdom : Coronavirus Updates - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- Omicron Identified as Covid-19 Variant of Concern, Triggering Global Fears - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- New 'Omicron' Variant Stokes Concern but Vaccines May Still Work - The New York Times - November 27th, 2021
- COVID news live: New measures to be reviewed one week before Christmas as Boris Johnson reacts to Omicron variant - Sky News - November 27th, 2021
- Bryan Adams tests positive for Covid-19 for the second time - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters | FDA - FDA.gov - November 21st, 2021
- Cognition Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter Financial Results and Company Highlights - November 18th, 2021
- Day One to Present at the Piper Sandler 33rd Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Plus Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Data from ReSPECT™-GBM Phase 1 Clinical Trial at the 2021 Society for Neuro-Oncology Annual Meeting - November 18th, 2021
- Pliant Therapeutics to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - November 18th, 2021
- Crinetics Pharmaceuticals to Present at the 4th Annual Evercore ISI HealthCONx Conference - November 18th, 2021
- SOTIO Strengthens its Strategic Advisory Board with Esteemed Oncology Experts and Industry Veterans - November 18th, 2021
- Veru Ranked as one of the Fastest-Growing Companies in North America on the 2021 Deloitte Technology Fast 500 - November 18th, 2021
- Entrada Therapeutics to Present at Evercore ISI 4th Annual HealthCONx Virtual Conference - November 18th, 2021
- VYNE Therapeutics to Present at the Piper Sandler 33rd Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Athenex to Present at the Evercore ISI 4th Annual HealthCONx Conference - November 18th, 2021
- Fountain Therapeutics Announces $15 Million Series A-2 Financing - November 18th, 2021
- Veru to Report Fiscal 2021 Fourth-Quarter, Full-Year Financial Results, Host Conference Call on December 2nd - November 18th, 2021
- Tempest Announces First Patient Dosed with TPST-1495 in Combination with Pembrolizumab - November 18th, 2021
- Aerami Therapeutics Appoints Barry Deutsch as Chief Financial Officer - November 18th, 2021
- iOnctura Presents Compelling Preclinical Data on its Clinical Stage Autotaxin Inhibitor IOA-289 at SITC - November 12th, 2021
- Spectral Announces Third Quarter Results and Provides Corporate Update - November 12th, 2021
- Cue Biopharma Presents Updated Data from Lead Program CUE-101 for the Treatment of Recurrent/Metastatic HPV+ Head and Neck Cancer and Additional... - November 12th, 2021
- Apexigen Announces New Phase 2 Clinical Data on CD40 Antibody Sotigalimab at the SITC 2021 Annual Meeting - November 12th, 2021
- Statement re Award Win - November 12th, 2021
- Vaccitech’s VTP-300 was Well-Tolerated and Induced T cells against all targeted HBV antigens in both Healthy Volunteers and Patients with Chronic... - November 12th, 2021
- Biosight Announces Initiation of Phase 2 Clinical Trial of Aspacytarabine for MDS and AML - November 12th, 2021
- Oculis Announces Patient Dosing in its First Phase 3 (DIAMOND Study - DIAbetic Macular edema patients ON a Drop) with OCS-01, a Novel, Investigational... - November 12th, 2021
- Albireo Announces New Phase 3 Data for Bylvay™ (odevixibat) in PFIC and First Reveal of New Next Generation Bile Acid Modulator Data at AASLD The... - November 12th, 2021
- Vir Biotechnology Presents New Data Evaluating the Potential for VIR-2218 and VIR-3434 to Achieve a Functional Cure for Chronic Hepatitis B Virus... - November 12th, 2021
- Aligos Therapeutics Presents Data for its Chronic Hepatitis B (CHB) and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) Portfolio at The Liver Meeting® 2021 - November 12th, 2021
- AGTC Presents Data from Ongoing Phase 1/2 Trial of AGTC-501 at Upcoming American Academy of Ophthalmology 2021 Annual Meeting - November 12th, 2021
- Prometheus Biosciences Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Recent Corporate Progress - November 12th, 2021
- Candel Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Recent Corporate Highlights - November 12th, 2021
- Vincerx Pharma Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Provides a Corporate Update - November 12th, 2021
- Chimerix to Present at Jefferies London Healthcare Conference - November 12th, 2021
- Monopar Therapeutics Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Recent Clinical Developments - November 12th, 2021
- Health care company cuts ties with Aaron Rodgers after COVID-19 vaccine comments - NPR - November 8th, 2021
- CDC recommends Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for kids 5-11, shots expected to roll out this week - USA TODAY - November 8th, 2021
- Vaccine - Maryland - November 6th, 2021
- Sanofi drops plans for messenger RNA vaccine against virus - November 6th, 2021
- Coronavirus Vaccine | Union Hospital - November 6th, 2021
- COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise in the Western Upper Peninsula - ABC 10/CW5 - ABC 10 News NOW - November 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Event Request | coronavirus - November 6th, 2021
- Covid UK news - live: R rate in England falls to between 0.9 and 1.1 as Pfizer pill cuts deaths by nearly 90% - The Independent - November 6th, 2021
- Corona Doom 2.0: Vaccine Passports Slope of Hope ... - October 29th, 2021
- COVID | News, Videos & Articles - October 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine - Delaware's Coronavirus Official Website - October 29th, 2021
- Town Of Brookfield: 2021-10-22 CORONA VIRUS UPDATE #79 ... - October 29th, 2021
- Mydecine Reports Successful Synthesis of Novel Tryptamine Improving the Pharmaceutical Properties of Psilocin - October 28th, 2021
- Werewolf Therapeutics to Present Data on its INDUKINE™ Product Candidates at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Annual Meeting - October 28th, 2021
- InflaRx Announces Positive Data from Third Cohort of Phase IIa Open-Label Study with Vilobelimab in Pyoderma Gangraenosum - October 28th, 2021
- Science 37® and CMIC Announce Partnership to Advance Decentralized Clinical Trials in Japan/APAC and Speed Drug Development - October 28th, 2021
- Science 37® and 3H Medi Solution Collaborate to Enable Decentralized Clinical Trials in Japan and Accelerate Patient Enrollment - October 28th, 2021
- Context Therapeutics® and Wisconsin Oncology Network Announce First Patient Dosed in Phase 2 Trial of ONA-XR in Metastatic Breast Cancer - October 28th, 2021
- Intercept to Announce Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 3, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- Medicenna Announces FDA Clearance of IND to Expand the Phase 1/2 ABILITY Study of MDNA11 to the United States - October 28th, 2021
- Histogen to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 10, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- Monopar Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1b Trial Evaluating Camsirubicin for the Treatment of Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma - October 28th, 2021
- Solaris Pharma Receives FDA Approval for Generic Metrogel-Vaginal® - October 28th, 2021
- Central IRB Approved for ABV-1505 Phase II Part II in Taiwan Sites - October 28th, 2021
- Silo Pharma Enters into Sponsored Research Agreement with Columbia University to Develop Psychedelic Therapeutics for Alzheimer’s Disease - October 28th, 2021
- TRACON to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Company Highlights on November 3, 2021 - October 28th, 2021
- World Leading Drug Delivery Researcher Professor Ryan Donnelly Joins PharmaTher as Scientific and Technical Advisor - October 28th, 2021
- Better Choice Company to Host Third Quarter 2021 Earnings Call on November 10th at 8:30 a.m. ET - October 28th, 2021
- PDS Biotech Chief Medical Officer, Lauren V. Wood, to Present at the 2021 International Head and Neck Cancer Conference - October 28th, 2021
- Covid News: Fear of Delta Is Motivating Americans to Get Shots More Than Mandates, Survey Finds - The New York Times - October 23rd, 2021
- COVID news live: Vaccines alone won't be enough to curb the pandemic, WHO warns - Sky News - October 23rd, 2021
- If Youve Had Covid, Do You Need the Vaccine? - The New York Times - October 14th, 2021
- National University (NU) Corona Vaccine Registration - October 10th, 2021
- Coronavirus News and latest stories | The Jerusalem Post - October 10th, 2021
- Pfizer Asks F.D.A. to Authorize Its Covid-19 Vaccine for Children 5 to 11 - The New York Times - October 7th, 2021
- Can I get the flu and COVID-19 vaccines at the same time? - Associated Press - October 7th, 2021
- YouTube is taking strict actions to prevent the spread of Covid-19 Vaccine misinformation with its new updated policy - Digital Information World - October 1st, 2021
- Some say COVID-19 vaccine is the 'mark of the beast.' Is there a connection to the Bible? - USA TODAY - September 27th, 2021
- Learn More About COVID-19 Vaccines From the FDA - FDA.gov - September 26th, 2021
- California Coronavirus Updates: Those Who Are Immunocompromised Or Over Age 65 Will Benefit The Most From Vaccine Booster - Capital Public Radio News - September 26th, 2021
- TD Garden requiring COVID-19 vaccination or negative test for Bruins, Celtics games - Boston Herald - September 26th, 2021
- Pressure Grows on U.S. Companies to Share Covid Vaccine Technology - The New York Times - September 23rd, 2021