The lawmakers are part of the group that left Texas, flying from Austin to Washington to break the state House's quorum and block Republicans from passing a restrictive new voting law. Officials with the group told CNN that all of the lawmakers participating in the quorum break trip are fully vaccinated, including the five who have tested positive for Covid-19.
The caucus began taking additional measures after the initial members tested positive, moving the slate of meetings on voting rights scheduled for this week to a virtual summit and adding daily rapid tests for all of the legislators and their staff staying in Washington, DC.
"All of the HDC Members who tested positive are feeling good, with no symptoms or only mild symptoms," the caucus said in a statement.
While the statement did not identify which members were infected, Texas state Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer said Sunday evening that he tested positive earlier in the day.
"I will be tele-working with my colleagues, staff, partners, and allies. We're planning more good trouble, and hope to make announcements soon," he said in a statement. "Democracy is in jeopardy, and we will not be stopped in our fight to protect it."
Texas state Rep. Celia Israel also confirmed she was one of the initial members to test positive.
"Yesterday, I tested positive for Covid-19. What this highlights is the risk every @TEXASHDC member continues to face to defend the state we love and the Texans we represent," Israel tweeted Sunday. "Despite my setback, I will continue to push forward and fight for every Texan to have their voices heard."
Fully vaccinated people who have been exposed to Covid-19 but are not showing symptoms do not need to quarantine or get tested for the virus following their exposure, according to current CDC guidance, unless they are in a correctional or detention facility or a homeless shelter.
While in Washington, members of the Texas House Democratic Caucus met with Vice President Kamala Harris, as well as with members of Congress, including Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin.
An official in the vice president's office said that Harris' testing occurred before her "routine doctor's appointment" at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, not because of the meeting with Texas legislators.
Texas state Rep. James Talarico told CNN's Jim Acosta on Saturday that he and his colleagues in the Texas delegation had known their trip to Washington would bring some risk.
"It brought health risk because there's an active pandemic and many of our members are over the age of 65, yet they chose to travel because this is so much bigger than one politician. It's so much bigger than you or I," Talarico said of their fight to protect access to the ballot box. "This is about the American experiment and whether it's going to survive for future generations."
But the legislative reality remains: there is currently no Republican support in the US Senate for voting rights legislation and Democrats do not have the votes to overcome the filibuster.
CNN's Gregory Clary and Jasmine Wright contributed to this report.
See more here:
Five Texas House Democrats test positive for Covid-19 in Washington - CNN
- 15 more Utahns die of COVID-19 in the past day - Salt Lake Tribune - September 23rd, 2021
- Moderna CEO says COVID-19 pandemic could be over in a year - Fox Business - September 23rd, 2021
- Severe COVID-19 may trigger autoimmune conditions; New variants cause more virus in the air - Reuters - September 23rd, 2021
- She's an Anchorage nurse. Her brother died of COVID-19 at the hospital where she works. - Anchorage Daily News - September 23rd, 2021
- Americans who relied most on Trump for COVID-19 news among least likely to be vaccinated - Pew Research Center - September 23rd, 2021
- What Is the R.1 COVID Variant? Experts Share What It Could Mean for the U.S. - Prevention.com - September 23rd, 2021
- Influenza Season Begins With Strained Critical Care Facilities and Staffing from COVID-19 - AustinTexas.gov - September 23rd, 2021
- Return to school has caused a surge in covid-19 cases in under-vaccinated counties - The Economist - September 23rd, 2021
- Houston Health Department to offer on campus COVID-19 testing in schools - City of Houston - September 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 live updates: Hospitalizations reach another all-time high in Iowa for 2021 - ABC News - September 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 September - World Economic Forum - September 23rd, 2021
- Loveland clinic owner refused to stop overstating effectiveness of alleged COVID-19 cures, AG says - 9News.com KUSA - September 23rd, 2021
- Nearly 10000 new COVID-19 cases reported by Ohio schools this week - NBC4 WCMH-TV - September 23rd, 2021
- Funeral procession planned Friday for FHP Trooper who died of COVID-19 - Wink News - September 23rd, 2021
- Jonas Brothers concert to require COVID-19 test or vaccination - WSYR - September 23rd, 2021
- FCPS grieves the loss of 15-year-old sophomore to COVID-19 - LEX18 Lexington KY News - September 23rd, 2021
- China imposes local lockdowns as COVID-19 cases surge - September 17th, 2021
- Exhaustion, regret in the halls of hospitals as COVID-19 continues to threaten Michigan - Detroit Free Press - September 17th, 2021
- Texas doctors, seeing unprecedented numbers of pregnant patients with COVID-19, urge pregnant people to get vaccinated - The Texas Tribune - September 17th, 2021
- Alaska once had the highest vaccination rate. Now it's in a COVID-19 crisis. - ABC News - September 17th, 2021
- Inside the COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through the Red Sox - The Boston Globe - September 17th, 2021
- Maine reports 1390 COVID-19 cases, 52 active outbreaks in schools - pressherald.com - September 17th, 2021
- Idaho Is Rationing Health Care Statewide As It Struggles To Cope With COVID-19 - NPR - September 17th, 2021
- Lee Health treating 333 COVID-19 patients as of Friday morning - Wink News - September 17th, 2021
- 3000 Health Care Workers In France Have Been Suspended For Not Getting A COVID Shot - NPR - September 17th, 2021
- New Hanover County reports record-high 37 COVID-19 deaths in the past week - Communications and Outreach - Communications and Outreach - North... - September 17th, 2021
- MSDH: 15 pregnant women have died from COVID-19 in Mississippi - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 17th, 2021
- Covid-19 Rapid Testing in U.S. Lags Behind Other Countries in Delta Wave - The Wall Street Journal - September 17th, 2021
- How low exactly is COVID-19 transmission in the San Francisco Bay Area right now? - SFGate - September 17th, 2021
- Trial over COVID-19 outbreak in Austria's 'Ibiza of the Alps' begins - Reuters - September 17th, 2021
- Why California Has One of the Lowest Covid-19 Rates in the Nation - The New York Times - September 17th, 2021
- Wrongly convicted man dies of Covid-19, nine years after he was exonerated - CNN - September 17th, 2021
- Beijing 2022 Games to have rigorous COVID-19 measures-IOC - Reuters - September 17th, 2021
- Fear is our worst enemy when it comes to COVID-19 and children | Opinion - The Philadelphia Inquirer - September 17th, 2021
- More Than 1,200 Mass. Kids Test Positive For COVID-19 This Week - CBS Boston - September 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 9-16-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - September 17th, 2021
- A journey inside the human body as it goes to war with COVID-19 - USA TODAY - September 17th, 2021
- 54 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, 2 new clusters - The Garden Island - September 17th, 2021
- 1 in every 500 US residents have died of Covid-19 - CNN - September 15th, 2021
- COVID is on its way to becoming just another virus ... - September 15th, 2021
- In her obituary, a family says a mother's Covid-19 death could have been prevented if more people were vaccinated - CNN - September 15th, 2021
- When will the COVID-19 pandemic end? McKinsey experts explain | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - September 15th, 2021
- Here's What Worries Air Travelers More Than Getting Covid-19 - Forbes - September 15th, 2021
- Betadines maker says you shouldnt ingest it for COVID-19 treatment or any other reason - WNCT - September 15th, 2021
- 14 new COVID-19 cases & one nonresident death reported for Juneau City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - September 15th, 2021
- DHEC Updates Its Statewide School COVID-19 Reporting to Include Quarantined and Isolated Students and School Employees - SCDHEC - September 15th, 2021
- New Mexico health, education officials to address states COVID-19 trends Wednesday - KRQE News 13 - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers Say Some People Have Developed Superhuman Immunity Against COVID-19 - CBS Dallas / Fort Worth - September 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines: Here's how to spot misinformation on social media and fight it - Detroit Free Press - September 15th, 2021
- How the U.S. Nailed the Economic Response to Covid-19 - The Wall Street Journal - September 15th, 2021
- Charlie Baker says a lot of people got the COVID-19 outbreak in Provincetown all wrong - Boston.com - September 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 568 total new cases; Death toll increases to 2,093; Active cases at 7,364 - KELOLAND.com - September 15th, 2021
- Majority in U.S. Says Public Health Benefits of COVID-19 Restrictions Worth the Costs, Even as Large Shares Also See Downsides - Pew Research Center - September 15th, 2021
- Federated learning for predicting clinical outcomes in patients with COVID-19 - Nature.com - September 15th, 2021
- Colorado radio host who urged boycott of vaccines dies of Covid-19 - The Guardian - September 15th, 2021
- Regular COVID-19 testing in Austin schools could be more effective than mask wearing, UT analysis shows - KXAN.com - September 15th, 2021
- Color-coded school thresholds added to Utah COVID-19 dashboard | Utah Department of Health - Utah Department of Health - September 15th, 2021
- Bartholomew County reporting three new COVID-19 deaths - The Republic - September 15th, 2021
- Increasing COVID-19 patients having negative impacts on ambulance response times - KPTV.com - September 15th, 2021
- Elementary school closes because of COVID-19 and other illnesses - East Idaho News - September 15th, 2021
- FDA Will Follow The Science On COVID-19 Vaccines For Young Children | FDA - FDA.gov - September 15th, 2021
- COVID Dashboard - September 13th, 2021
- Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - September 13th, 2021
- COVID-19 in Arkansas: Hospitalizations down for the fifth straight day - KARK - September 13th, 2021
- First known A&M student reported to have died from COVID-19 complications - Texas A&M The Battalion - September 13th, 2021
- Parents Grow Increasingly Concerned As COVID-19 Cases Continue To Rise - CBS Baltimore - September 13th, 2021
- Study finds who may get more severe illness from a COVID-19 breakthrough case - SFGate - September 13th, 2021
- Like 9/11, COVID-19s toll set to shape a generation - NJ Spotlight - September 13th, 2021
- Austin Arts & Music festival latest event canceled due to COVID-19 while others resume - KXAN.com - September 13th, 2021
- The COVID-19 surge is overwhelming emergency rooms across Virginia - Virginia Mercury - September 13th, 2021
- MDHHS issues guidance for parents with children exposed to COVID-19 - WLNS - September 13th, 2021
- Low incidence of breakthrough infections at YNHHS highlights importance of COVID-19 vaccines - Yale Daily News - September 13th, 2021
- Alaska's COVID-19 hospitalizations have hit new all-time highs. Here's what that number really reflects. - Anchorage Daily News - September 13th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases among children in Oregon, Lane County higher than ever during pandemic - The Register-Guard - September 13th, 2021
- VERIFY: Do NFL fans have to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to attend games? - WCNC.com - September 13th, 2021
- Regeneron, effective in treating COVID-19, arrives in Kitsap County - Kitsap Sun - September 13th, 2021
- Despite early jump on COVID-19, tribes lose a brother and a son - OPB News - September 13th, 2021
- DHHR adds more than 2,200 COVID-19 cases on Sunday - West Virginia MetroNews - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens Covid-19 Vaccine Mandate Further Stresses Supply of Rapid Tests - The Wall Street Journal - September 13th, 2021
- Travel and Covid-19 Testing: What to Know if Youre Flying or Taking a Cruise - The Wall Street Journal - September 13th, 2021