WASHINGTON Right-wing politicians resistance to vaccine mandates is extending far beyond Covid-19 immunizations, a startling new development that carries vast implications for the future of public health.
In Idaho, a lawmaker introduced a bill that would define vaccine mandates of any kind as a form of assault. In Florida, a prominent state senator has called for a review of all vaccine requirements, including those for immunizations that have enjoyed wide public acceptance for decades, like polio and the measles, mumps, and rubella shot. And in Montana, the Republican governor recently signed into law a new bill that forbids businesses, including hospitals, from enforcing any vaccination requirements as a condition of employment.
The bills represent the latest wave of resistance to the Biden administrations push to impose Covid-19 vaccine mandates for nearly all Americans. But the new, across-the-board revolt against vaccine requirements of any kind, experts told STAT, could begin to reverse a century of progress against diseases that, thanks to vaccines, are afterthoughts to most Americans.
If you [challenge] all of the childhood vaccinations that are required, we could be in a really serious situation with outbreaks of diseases that long ago should have been eliminated in our society. We just cant have that, said Anthony Fauci, the government researcher and chief medical adviser to the Biden administrations pandemic response, in a Tuesday interview at the 2021 STAT Summit.
In many cases, right-wing legislators resistance to vaccine mandates has been cloaked in rhetoric specific to Covid-19 immunizations. Upon closer reading, however, many of the proposals they have floated some of which have already been signed into law apply to all vaccines, not just the three currently authorized in the U.S. to prevent Covid.
A Tennessee proposal banning employer vaccine mandates, for one, doesnt specify which immunizations it would apply to, meaning it effectively would apply to any requirement. Alabamas GOP governor recently signed a new law banning any new vaccine mandates in schools, beyond those that already exist a measure clearly aimed at Covid but with a potential impact on future immunization efforts.
Public health departments have a tough enough time vaccinating the public even with the benefit of existing laws that support mandates, said Lily Kan, the senior director for infectious diseases and informatics at the National Association of County and City Health Officials. When lawmakers step in to nullify those mandates, she added, that task becomes even more difficult.
When theres a direct lack of trust based on misinformation, disinformation, and active efforts to undermine vaccination rates, thats really concerning, she said. We dont want people to think that not getting vaccinated can be the norm.
The assorted lawmakers push to effectively ban vaccine mandates altogether comes amid a dual crisis. Most pressing is the ongoing pandemic: The U.S. is still recording well over 1,000 Covid-19 deaths each day, and roughly 18% of the countrys adults remain unvaccinated.
Now, public health experts are beginning to express open alarm about plummeting childhood vaccination rates. In part, they stem from the pandemic itself: Many parents who have worked from home and whose children have attended school remotely have simply made fewer trips into doctors offices for fear of Covid-19 exposure.
In 2020, the World Health Organizations reported that across the globe, childhood immunization rates dropped from 86% to 83%. Roughly 23 million babies didnt receive basic vaccines normally given, the highest number since 2009.
Even before the pandemic, there were worrying signs that we were beginning to lose ground in the fight to immunize children against preventable child illness, including with the widespread measles outbreaks two years ago, Henrietta Fore, UNICEFs executive director, said in a recent statement. The pandemic has made a bad situation worse.
Increasingly, though, those low vaccination rates may also be driven by turbocharged vaccine skepticism and outright misinformation that has clouded parents judgment.
Even before Covid-19, some U.S. communities had begun to experience outbreaks of diseases that most of the country has largely eradicated. In two recent high-profile instances, a Somali-American community in Minnesota and a largely Orthodox Jewish town outside New York City experienced major measles clusters in 2017 and 2019, respectively. In both cases, the outbreaks were driven by lower-than-ideal vaccination rates, which in turn stemmed from active misinformation campaigns.
The new wave of resistance to vaccine mandates of any type, however, marks the start of a completely new era of vaccine politics.
There are real conversations to be had about individual liberty versus public health, government overreach, all of that stuff, said Nahid Bhadelia, a physician-researcher who leads the Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases Policy and Research at Boston University. But the level to which this has been politicized its on purpose, and its toward the goal of continuing to create strife around the pandemic.
Still, other experts have warned that governments should factor in inevitable backlash when imposing requirements for Covid-19 vaccines and other immunizations. In situations where most of the population is already vaccinated, sweeping mandates could do more harm than good in the long run, argued Scott Gottlieb, the former Food and Drug Administration commissioner and Pfizer board member.
The risk is [that] organized opposition to this OSHA mandate starts to bleed into broader opposition to vaccination and vaccine mandates more generally, and mandates society long embraced become part of this new political fashion, he wrote this month on Twitter, referring to the Biden administrations recent requirement that large companies must mandate their employees to be either vaccinated against Covid or tested weekly. And a whole generation starts to turn against vaccines.
But an anti-vaccine generation might already be the reality. According to one recent poll, the partisan divide over Covid-19 vaccination has crept into the countrys annual flu vaccination campaign.
In 2020, one AP-NORC poll showed just a 4% gap between Democrats and Republicans desire to be immunized against the flu. Two surveys conducted in 2021, however, paint a grimmer picture: Now, Democrats are more enthusiastic than Republicans about flu vaccines by a 24% or 25% margin, according to Axios/Ipsos and Kaiser Family Foundation, respectively.
Its the perfect storm, because theres growing vaccine hesitancy, an anti-vax lobby growing more powerful, and this growing milieu of disinformation, Bhadelia said. There is a general societal movement here in the U.S. to undermine public health recommendations.
Read the rest here:
GOP opposition to vaccine mandates extends far beyond Covid-19 - STAT
- COVID-19 vaccine clinic for kids age 5-11 this Saturday at Riverbend City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - December 3rd, 2021
- AdventHealth suspends COVID-19 vaccine requirements for employees - West Orange Times & Windermere Observer - December 3rd, 2021
- Get vaccinated before the holidays at Oshkosh's popup COVID-19 vaccine clinic - Fox11online.com - December 3rd, 2021
- What will tomorrow's Covid-19 vaccines be like? - BBC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Europe Sees Boost in Uptake of Covid-19 Shots but Vaccine Mandates Are Still on the Table - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines are not gene therapy and a Forbes article doesn't say they are - PolitiFact - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Update: CTTP hours during finals and break, COVID-19 Vaccines and Flu Shots - Carolina Together : Carolina Together - Carolina Together - December 3rd, 2021
- Celebrity Kids Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine: Photos - Us Weekly - December 3rd, 2021
- Czechs to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for over 60s -news website - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- DeKalb County is offering $100 to everyone who gets COVID-19 vaccine there - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 3rd, 2021
- Top 10 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in Virginia - 8News - December 3rd, 2021
- With Queensland about to open its border, COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy is waning but protests are getting bigger - ABC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Factbox: What COVID-19 vaccine and drug makers have to say about Omicron - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- Mongolian Government To Build On COVID-19 Vaccine And Booster Success - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- How quickly does protection wane after the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine? - Medical News Today - December 2nd, 2021
- Greece will mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for anyone over 60, or make them pay fines - NPR - December 2nd, 2021
- First COVID-19 vaccine administered in Washington is given to 13 healthcare workers on December 15, 2020. - HistoryLink.org - December 2nd, 2021
- There's no proof COVID-19 vaccines are causing healthy athletes to collapse - PolitiFact - December 2nd, 2021
- First U.S. omicron patient was fully vaccinated and has mild Covid symptoms, officials say - CNBC - December 2nd, 2021
- New data on the link between COVID-19 vaccines and myopericarditis - Cardiovascular Business - December 2nd, 2021
- Italy approves COVID-19 vaccination for 5-11 year olds - Reuters - December 2nd, 2021
- Contributor: While Many Americans Refuse COVID-19 Vaccination, People Affected by HIV Have Been Waiting for 40 Years - AJMC.com Managed Markets... - December 2nd, 2021
- Health officials recommend getting COVID-19 vaccine and booster as they learn more about Omicron variant - whnt.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Maryland-Based Vaccine Manufacturer Developing COVID-19 Vaccine That Targets Omicron Variant - CBS Baltimore - December 2nd, 2021
- Omicron brings COVID-19 vaccine inequity home to roost - Boston.com - December 2nd, 2021
- European Union mulling mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- Hundreds of NYC correction officers to be suspended for failing to meet COVID-19 vaccination deadline - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- KDHE Vaccine KS | Official Website - November 29th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine Eat This Not That - November 29th, 2021
- Why Moderna refuses to share the rights for a COVID-19 vaccine developed with taxpayer funding - Milwaukee Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine Makers Assess Omicron Response - The Wall Street Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Moderna says its COVID-19 vaccine protective, safe in ... - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine and Omicron Variant: Live Updates - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Social media on the acceptance of the COVID-19 vaccine | PPA - Dove Medical Press - November 29th, 2021
- Are covid-19 vaccines effective against the omicron variant? - Quartz - November 29th, 2021
- Vaccine booster time frame to be reviewed as COVID-19 Omicron variant appears in Australia - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- Former WH advisor: Trump would already have new vaccines for Omicron - Business Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Egypt is one step away from its first national COVID-19 vaccine - Egypt Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccines or Infections: Which Carries the Stronger Immunity? - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID19 Vaccine Tracker - November 27th, 2021
- COVID hit this family twice, but vaccines blunted reinfections : Shots - Health News - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- NC Marines involved in litigation over COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Jacksonville Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Union County Offers Additional Sites for Free COVID-19 Vaccines and Booster Shots this Week County of Union, New Jersey - UCNJ.org - November 27th, 2021
- Some LGBTQ+ people worry that the COVID-19 vaccine will affect HIV medication. It won't. - WFAE - November 27th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine Recipients Often Shift to Other Boosters - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccine: Antibodies more than halved after 6 months - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccines Tested in Low-Income Countries, But Distributed in Wealthy Nations - Contagionlive.com - November 27th, 2021
- WHO labels new Covid strain, named omicron, a 'variant of concern,' citing possible increased reinfection risk - CNBC - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 26 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 27th, 2021
- How one discredited 1998 study paved the way for today's anti-vaxxers - Salon - November 27th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Shame on Vail Resorts for COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Summit Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Omicron concerns should spur millions of unvaccinated Americans to get their Covid shots, experts say - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Thanksgiving is possible this year because of Covid-19 vaccines - MSNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Could a COVID-19 vaccine patch be better than injections? - Aljazeera.com - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine clinics happening next week, Nov. 29 Dec. 4 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine supply catches up with demand in Indianapolis metro area - WISHTV.com - November 25th, 2021
- CDC authorizes COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for all adults ages 18 and up | Arizona Emergency information Network - az.gov - November 25th, 2021
- Poll: Majority of Thanksgiving hosts not requiring COVID-19 vaccine, masks - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- The effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines illustrated by two graphs - EL PAS in English - November 25th, 2021
- Gov. Hochul announces COVID-19 vaccine incentive aimed at outdoor enthusiasts - WKBW-TV - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, you can get the COVID-19 vaccine if you have mild cold symptoms: doctor - KRON4 - November 25th, 2021
- This Is How Many COVID-19 Vaccines Washington Has Received So Far - Patch.com - November 25th, 2021
- Governor Hochul Announces Direct Messaging Efforts to Increase COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Rates Among New Yorkers - NY.gov - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine - Southern Nevada Health District - November 23rd, 2021
- More than 90% of federal workers have had a shot by today's COVID-19 vaccine deadline - NPR - November 23rd, 2021
- Our COVID-19 Response Efforts | Johnson & Johnson - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduling Options - November 23rd, 2021
- EU says decision on J&J COVID-19 vaccine booster dose 'within weeks' - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination status and time until return to work among healthcare workers - News-Medical.net - November 23rd, 2021
- MCPS softens COVID-19 vaccination mandate to allow for weekly testing instead - BethesdaMagazine.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Plenty of COVID-19 vaccine appointments available in Triangle ahead of the holiday - CBS17.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Many men dont take good care of themselves. COVID-19 vaccine rates are the latest in a problem as old as medicine. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 23rd, 2021
- Chicago Hits Goal As 77% Of Residents 12 And Older Have Gotten 1 Shot Of COVID-19 Vaccine - Block Club Chicago - November 23rd, 2021
- New UMass Amherst/WCVB poll on children being vaccinated against COVID-19 - WCVB Boston - November 23rd, 2021
- Maui Pediatrician Discusses Safety and Efficacy of the COVID-19 Vaccine in Kids - Maui Now - November 21st, 2021
- 20 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in California - KTLA - November 21st, 2021
- Why Moderna wont share rights to the COVID-19 vaccine with the government that paid for its development - KRQE News 13 - November 21st, 2021
- 6-year-old son of Boston Mayor Michelle Wu receives first dose of COVID-19 vaccine - WCVB Boston - November 21st, 2021
- More than half of Athens County has begun the COVID-19 vaccination process as of Nov. 20 - WOUB - November 21st, 2021
- Unvaccinated-Only Lockdowns Come to Europe - The Atlantic - November 21st, 2021