Patients queue to get vaccinated against COVID-19, in Aristotelous Square, in the center of the Greek city of Thessaloniki on November 26, 2021. Sakis Mitroldis /AFP via Getty Images hide caption
Patients queue to get vaccinated against COVID-19, in Aristotelous Square, in the center of the Greek city of Thessaloniki on November 26, 2021.
Facing a surge in coronavirus infections and stalled vaccination drives, two nations in the European Union are giving their citizens an ultimatum: take the COVID-19 vaccine or face the financial consequences.
Greece announced Tuesday that everyone 60 and older must be vaccinated by mid-January or face monthly fines of 100 euros (roughly $114).
Earlier this month, Austria said it would require its entire adult population to be vaccinated by Feb. 1. Those who refuse are set to pay up to 3,600 euros, or just over $4,000, in fines.
"It's not a punishment," Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis told his cabinet in a televised meeting. "I would say it is the price for health. It is also an act of justice for the vaccinated. It's not right that they are deprived of health care services because others stubbornly refuse to do the obvious."
Greece is the first EU country to target an age group with a vaccination mandate. Citing government data, Mitsotakis said about 83% of older Greeks are vaccinated. Those who are not more than 500,000 people are more likely to get seriously ill and die. Greece recorded more than 7,500 infections, hundreds of hospitalizations and 88 deaths on Tuesday alone, according to Greece's National Organization for Public Health.
The monthly fine for refusing the vaccine is substantial for retirees. The average pension is 730 euros a month.
Both Greece and Austria turned to compulsory vaccinations after a series of measures including banning the unvaccinated from indoor venues failed. Both countries have anti-vaccination movements, fueled by conspiracy theories, religion and anti-authoritarianism. In Austria, an unvaccinated far-right politician has promoted the use of the horse deworming drug ivermectin to treat COVID-19. His party joined thousands who took to the streets to protest lockdown measures and the vaccine mandate.
"Society should be sticking together, taking care of each other, in times like these but instead we are splitting into two worlds, the vaccinated and the unvaccinated," said Christine Bertl, a biochemist from Vienna who supports the mandatory vaccination effort. "And the unvaccinated think only about themselves."
Bertl added that they are refusing vaccines procured by the EU that could have gone to nations who cannot afford them.
More than 61% of Greeks and 67% of Austrians are vaccinated, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, though those numbers could soon increase. Some reports show that mandates are pushing the unvaccinated to get their shots.
The vaccine mandates come as the world scrambles to respond to the new omicron variant. Scientists say omicron appears to be highly transmissible, though researchers still have limited information about the variant. Infections have already appeared in several EU nations, including Austria. Mitsotakis say he expects the variant will likely reach Greece as well.
Read this article:
Greece will mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for anyone over 60, or make them pay fines - NPR
- How to add your COVID-19 vaccine records to Apple Health and Wallet on your iPhone - 9to5Mac - January 19th, 2022
- mRNA vaccines offer lasting protection against severe COVID-19 - Medical News Today - January 19th, 2022
- 10 Oregon counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate - KOIN.com - January 19th, 2022
- Researchers testing COVID-19 vaccine patch | TheHill - The Hill - January 19th, 2022
- How Florida hospitals are juggling plans over COVID-19 vaccination mandates - Becker's Hospital Review - January 19th, 2022
- How This DC Restaurant Is Honoring The COVID-19 Vaccine - Mashed - January 19th, 2022
- More walk-in COVID-19 vaccination sites opening this week in New Hampshire - WMUR Manchester - January 19th, 2022
- Conspiracy theories hamper Romania Covid-19 vaccination drive - TRT World - January 19th, 2022
- Shingles Vaccine and COVID-19 Vaccine Timing - Healthline - January 19th, 2022
- Duration of Protection against Mild and Severe Disease by Covid-19 Vaccines | NEJM - nejm.org - January 19th, 2022
- 4th COVID-19 vaccine offered to some immunocompromised Oklahomans - KFOR Oklahoma City - January 19th, 2022
- Sioux Falls man reflects on one year since first COVID-19 vaccine - KELOLAND.com - January 19th, 2022
- Calif. medical workers fight to bridge the Latino COVID-19 vaccination gap - Yahoo News - January 19th, 2022
- Almost 100,000 Ukrainians have received COVID-19 vaccine booster shot - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - January 18th, 2022
- Saratoga County announces upcoming COVID-19 vaccination schedule - The Saratogian - January 18th, 2022
- Where to Find COVID-19 Vaccines, Testing, Isolation Rules, Booster Providers and More - Noozhawk - January 18th, 2022
- 'Never' or just 'not yet?' How timing affects COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy - The Conversation CA - January 18th, 2022
- No, a study from Denmark didn't find that COVID-19 vaccines make people more prone to infection; biases in the study likely led to underestimated... - January 18th, 2022
- Polio team's support for COVID-19 vaccination demonstrates their value for global health - World - ReliefWeb - January 18th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine will soon be administered at DPSCD - WXYZ - January 18th, 2022
- LSU Health Shreveport COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Schedule - Bossier Press-Tribune Online - January 18th, 2022
- Opinion | The UI needs to incentivize COVID-19 safety measures - UI The Daily Iowan - January 18th, 2022
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the pandemic on 17 January - World Economic Forum - January 18th, 2022
- Who is still covered by COVID-19 vaccine mandates? - wausaupilotandreview.com - January 16th, 2022
- Heres how to get a QR code to prove your COVID-19 vaccine status through the states new website - The Boston Globe - January 16th, 2022
- COVAX delivers its 1 billionth COVID-19 vaccine dose - World Health Organization - January 16th, 2022
- Less than half of Wasco's residents are fully vaccinated. This vaccine clinic aims to change that - KERO 23ABC News - January 16th, 2022
- Adverse Reactions to the COVID-19 Vaccine: What to Know - Healthline - January 16th, 2022
- I am not misinformation a group of Covid-19 vaccine injured individuals share their e... - The Rio Times - January 16th, 2022
- Gov. Youngkin signs executive actions banning critical race theory, appointing new parole board, ending school mask mandate and vaccine mandate for... - January 16th, 2022
- MLK Day COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Clinic - City of San Antonio - City of San Antonio - January 16th, 2022
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination now required for most indoor public spaces in Boston - WCVB Boston - January 16th, 2022
- Study shows COVID-19 vaccines offer lasting protection - UNC News : UNC News - UNC News - January 13th, 2022
- Free giveaways to those who receive COVID-19 vaccine in Springfield - WWLP.com - January 13th, 2022
- WWE legend Hulk Hogan claims that COVID-19 vaccine can kill you: They are falling like flies - MARCA.com - January 13th, 2022
- Bill Gates says COVID-19 vaccines are 'missing two key things' - Fox Business - January 13th, 2022
- Live updates: Supreme Court Covid-19 vaccine rule and the latest on the Omicron variant - CNN - January 13th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccines saved more than 240,000 lives in US: research - Business Insider - January 11th, 2022
- COVID-19 Vaccine & Booster Information - Covid-19 Information - January 11th, 2022
- Utah Latinos trail other groups in COVID-19 vaccine rates. Here's why. - Salt Lake Tribune - January 11th, 2022
- Pittsylvania-Danville Health District to Host Two Additional COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics in January - Newsroom - Virginia Department of Health - January 11th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine and testing sites in Chesapeake this week - wtkr.com - January 11th, 2022
- U.S. Ranks 59th Globally for Covid-19 Vaccinations, Just Behind Iran - Gizmodo - January 11th, 2022
- Covid-19 Vaccines and Tests Boost Albertsons and CVS Sales - The Wall Street Journal - January 11th, 2022
- Mexico expecting nearly 27 mln COVID-19 vaccines in coming weeks - Reuters - January 11th, 2022
- Heres where you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and booster in Yakima County - Yakima Herald-Republic - January 11th, 2022
- One COVID vaccine to rule them all? What you need to know about the Army vaccine - CNET - January 10th, 2022
- What Covid-19 Vaccine Did You Get? You Probably Dont Know Its Name. - The Wall Street Journal - January 10th, 2022
- Effect of Covid-19 Vaccination on Transmission of Alpha and Delta Variants | NEJM - nejm.org - January 10th, 2022
- Mass Vaccination Sites for Covid-19 Are Back - The Wall Street Journal - January 10th, 2022
- DHS Recommends COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Dose for Everyone Ages 12 and Older - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - January 10th, 2022
- 4th COVID-19 vaccine dose: Whats the science behind another booster? - Global News - January 10th, 2022
- New groups eligible for drop-ins, and over 40K COVID-19 vaccination appointments still available this week for Ottawa residents - ottawa.ca - January 10th, 2022
- N.J. reports 12 COVID deaths and 26,615 cases as rate of transmission ticks down slightly - NJ.com - January 10th, 2022
- Cyprus reportedly discovers a Covid variant that combines omicron and delta - CNBC - January 10th, 2022
- NCCN Update on COVID-19 Vaccines and MAb Prophylaxis - Medscape - January 7th, 2022
- Czech tennis star detained in Australia before tournament over COVID-19 vaccination issues - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Inside the Spanish lab seeking the definitive Covid-19 vaccine - EL PAS in English - January 7th, 2022
- Mix-and-Matching COVID-19 Vaccinations - Contagionlive.com - January 7th, 2022
- Do you need a booster shot to be 'fully vaccinated' against COVID? What does 'up to date' mean? - CNET - January 7th, 2022
- COVID-19 Vaccines: What Does the Future Hold? - MedPage Today - January 5th, 2022
- What we've learned about the COVID-19 vaccine, from a Rockford OSF specialist - Rockford Register Star - January 5th, 2022
- 'Protect our hospitals' might convince Britons to get Covid-19 vaccines, but it won't work in the U.S. - STAT - January 5th, 2022
- Health department offering COVID-19 vaccines and testing - Cheboygan Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- How long after having COVID-19 should you get vaccinated? - MLive.com - January 5th, 2022
- No, declining the COVID-19 vaccine wont make you 99.8% safe from the virus - Tampa Bay Times - January 5th, 2022
- Most covid-19 vaccines have been used in rich countries - The Economist - January 5th, 2022
- Lottery-based incentives are of limited value in increasing COVID-19 vaccine uptake - News-Medical.Net - January 5th, 2022
- Clover Doses First Participants with Homologous Booster Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in SPECTRA - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Free COVID-19 vaccination and test sites throughout Houston - CW39 - January 5th, 2022
- Governor Abbott Sues To Protect Texas National Guard From President Biden's COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate - Office of the Texas Governor - January 5th, 2022
- The COVID-19 vaccination campaign in Bhutan: strategy and enablers - Infectious Diseases of Poverty - Infectious Diseases of Poverty - BioMed Central - January 5th, 2022
- Covid Live Updates: Latest on Omicron and Vaccines - The New York Times - January 4th, 2022
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Takes Multiple Actions to Expand Use of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine | FDA - FDA.gov - January 4th, 2022
- Booster Doses | COVID-19 Vaccine - January 4th, 2022
- Why aren't more teenagers getting the COVID-19 vaccine? - 11Alive.com WXIA - January 4th, 2022
- Michigan State University requires COVID-19 vaccine or negative test to attend athletic, arts events - FOX 2 Detroit - January 4th, 2022
- Daywatch: Chicagos COVID-19 vaccination mandate begins | One groups aggressive tactics in bid to reinstate sidelined clerics | Michael Phillips... - January 4th, 2022
- COVID-19 vaccine 2nd dose and booster drive to be held in Edwards - WJTV - January 4th, 2022
- Woman arrested for illegally injecting teen with COVID-19 vaccine - New York Post - January 4th, 2022