U.S. Sen Ron Johnson told those who gathered for a town hall meeting in northern Wisconsin Friday that vaccines against COVID-19 "are not as safe ... and effective as we all hoped and prayed they would be," and said overwhelmed hospitals weren't a sign of a health crisis.
The comments come two weeks after Wisconsin surpassed 8,000 deaths from the pandemic disease and just days after the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released a report suggesting the use of vaccines prevented 700 deaths in Wisconsin in the first five months of 2021 alone.
Johnson, who had an asymptomatic case of COVID-19 in 2020, said he hasn't received the vaccine. He has spent months amplifying conspiracy theories and calling attention to rare cases of adverse reactions to it, as well as blasting medical authorities who say there's no scientific evidence supporting the use of the drug Ivermectin as a prophylactic or early treatment for the disease.
Johnson's town hall Friday afternoon in far northern Boulder Junction included brief discussions of immigration, gerrymandering and climate change. But Johnson spent by far the most time at and after the event expressing his skepticism of the vaccine and his strong opposition to employer and government policies mandating it. He dismissed accusations that his actions are undermining public confidence in the vaccine.
"'Anti-vax' is now a pejorative," Johnson said in a brief exchange with reporters after the town hall. "It's hurled at people falsely all the time. It's like the worst thing you could possibly be. I've had every vaccine (except COVID-19)."
But Johnson in the town hall made numerous false or misleading claims about the drug, including implying that a federal database that records all health events experienced by the hundreds of millions of people who have been vaccinated shows that thousands died as a direct result of the vaccine.
In fact, a new analysis by the Rural Policy Research Institute found death rates from COVID-19 in rural counties are now roughly double the rates in urban areas due to lagging vaccination rates in rural America.
The room of around 150 people was overwhelmingly supportive of the senator, offering applause breaks and questions that teed up favorite topics. The northern region of Wisconsin voted overwhelmingly for former Republican President Donald Trump in 2020, and he won Vilas County by a 60-38 margin.
As Wisconsin experienced a spike in new infections in August and September, some hospital systems were overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients. As recently as this week, central Wisconsin's Marshfield Clinic was full to capacity.
Johnson said that is normal.
"A bad flu season will put stress, sometimes overwhelm hospitals for certain regions. That happens all the time," he said. "Just because it happens with COVID doesn't mean theres some massive crisis in terms of our health care system."
Two questioners during the town hall said they had children who were facing being fired due to employers' vaccine mandates. That included one who said his son was a military physician being "threatened with dishonorable discharge (and) pulling his medical license" because he is declining to give or receive COVID-19 vaccines. On Thursday, the website Military.com reported that 92 percent of active service members had received at least one dose of the vaccine.
"They are threatening to ruin him if he does not comply," the questioner said. "Yes or no, will you help him if they do that?"
"Yes," Johnson said.
Originally posted here:
Johnson: Hospitals overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients 'doesn't mean there's some massive crisis' - Wisconsin Public Radio News
- How scientists in San Francisco found the first case of the omicron COVID-19 variant in the United States - USA TODAY - December 2nd, 2021
- US identifies first case of Omicron COVID-19 variant in traveler who returned to California - The Boston Globe - December 2nd, 2021
- 1 in 6 of all COVID-19 deaths in Utah occurred in the last two months - Salt Lake Tribune - December 2nd, 2021
- Does a patient need to know which variant of COVID-19 infected them? - KSHB - December 2nd, 2021
- New data-driven report examines the impact of COVID-19 in Nashville - WKRN News 2 - December 2nd, 2021
- Could This Chewing Gum Reduce the Spread of Covid-19? - Smithsonian - December 2nd, 2021
- Here's what Trump was up to around the time of his positive Covid-19 test - CNN - December 2nd, 2021
- Many Severe Covid-19 Survivors Go on to Die Within a Year, Study Finds - Gizmodo - December 2nd, 2021
- UFC president Dana White tests positive for COVID-19 after Thanksgiving gathering, consults Joe Rogan - CBSSports.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Guard Coby White becomes second fully vaccinated Chicago Bulls player to test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - December 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 936 total new cases; Death toll rises to 2,349; Active cases at 7,222 - KELOLAND.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Some central Pa. hospitals surpassing pace of worst COVID-19 surge - pennlive.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Amid spread of omicron variant, CDC expected to require negative COVID-19 test 1 day before flying to US - ABC News - December 2nd, 2021
- Frequent Rapid Testing Is The Key To Controlling Covid-19 Transmission In Universities And In Our Communities - Forbes - December 2nd, 2021
- 3,312 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Kentucky on Wednesday - LEX18 Lexington KY News - December 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 12-1-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - December 2nd, 2021
- How Covid-19 Has Changed Where Californians Live - The New York Times - December 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 takes teens family members during the holidays - NBC4 WCMH-TV - December 2nd, 2021
- Alabama coronavirus cases and deaths | USAFacts - November 29th, 2021
- Omicron variant could fuel global surge with 'severe consequences,' WHO warns: COVID-19 updates - USA TODAY - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Hospital Capacity of NOLAND HOSPITAL TUSCALOOSA ... - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 29 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 29th, 2021
- The Omicron variant: What it is, and how California is handling COVID-19 right now - Los Angeles Times - November 29th, 2021
- What We Know and Don't About the Omicron COVID-19 Variant - Wheeling Intelligencer - November 29th, 2021
- 'This is stressful': More than 100 Arizona classrooms quarantine over COVID-19 in 12 districts - AZCentral.com - November 29th, 2021
- Nearly 200 new COVID-19 cases reported on Cape and Islands - Cape Cod Times - November 29th, 2021
- Severe COVID-19: 1 in 100 patients may have brain complications - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2021
- Parts of northern China tighten curbs on new COVID-19 flare-ups - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Britain to offer everyone a COVID-19 booster eventually - vaccine official - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Sixers' Joel Embiid on bout with COVID-19: 'I really thought I wasn't going to make it' - CBSSports.com - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 to have ripple effect on multiple Cowboys coaches for Week 13 - Cowboys Wire - November 29th, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo uses old briefing to tell New Yorkers to take COVID precautions - New York Post - November 29th, 2021
- Cowboys starting RT Terence Steele, several assistant coaches out against Saints due to COVID-19 outbreak - ESPN - November 29th, 2021
- Wall St Week Ahead COVID-19 fears reappear as a threat to market - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Children and teens lead surge in COVID-19 cases - Press Herald - November 29th, 2021
- SU to expand size of COVID-19 randomized testing groups - The Daily Orange - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 11-29-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19: Vitamin D may be able to 'switch off' lung inflammation - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- 'This has been some trying times:' Diego Sanchez in hospital with serious case of COVID-19 - USA TODAY - November 27th, 2021
- Swiss to vote on ending COVID-19 restrictions - New York Post - November 27th, 2021
- Mercks Covid-19 Pill Was 30% Effective in Final Analysis, Company Says - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- Covid-19 Variant Upends Investor Bets on Rate Increases - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- 7 "Least Safe States" During COVID-19, Says New Study Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 25th, 2021
- Several infected after convention touting ivermectin; some hospitals overwhelmed ahead of Thanksgiving holiday: Latest COVID-19 updates - USA TODAY - November 25th, 2021
- Texas COVID-19 hospitalizations are low but experts still advise caution - The Texas Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 24 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 25th, 2021
- Thanksgiving arrives and, yes, COVID-19 is still hanging around - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Maryland Department Of Health Pauses Release Of COVID-19 Data For Thanksgiving Holiday - CBS Baltimore - November 25th, 2021
- Interim statement on COVID-19 vaccination for children and adolescents - World Health Organization - November 25th, 2021
- Bars, restaurants navigating COVID-19 spike on busiest night of year - WOODTV.com - November 25th, 2021
- Family battles over COVID-19 vaccine mandates on the menu in NYC this Thanksgiving (opinion) - silive.com - November 25th, 2021
- Slovaks lock down to slow world's highest COVID-19 infection rate - Reuters - November 25th, 2021
- Utah hospitals 'bursting at the seams' with COVID-19 patients ahead of holiday gatherings, expert says - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- 12 residents of St. Joseph's shelter test positive for COVID-19. Most are vaccinated and asymptomatic - Berkshire Eagle - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19 threatens to knock away Germany's last pillar of growth - Reuters - November 25th, 2021
- County Consolidates COVID-19 Testing, Vaccines, Boosters, and Antibody Treatment into One Site - Hillsborough County - November 25th, 2021
- Starting Nov. 23, Public Health offers walk-in COVID-19 vaccines & boosters every weekday City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - November 23rd, 2021
- State reports 11 new COVID-19 cases for Juneau for Nov. 20-22 - City and Borough of Juneau - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 November - World Economic Forum - November 23rd, 2021
- 90% of U.S. federal employees have received at least one COVID-19 dose -White House - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Erie hospital's COVID-19 units: A closer look at the battle to beat the virus - GoErie.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Michigan hospitals sound alarm over near-record COVID-19 hospitalizations - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus updates: 6 people die of COVID-19, 75 fatalities in November - Redding Record Searchlight - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 in pregnancy linked to stillbirths, research finds - myfox8.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Alaska reports 750 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths over the weekend - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases among kids up in Wisconsin, as the state is averaging more than 3,000 cases a day - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - November 23rd, 2021
- Austrias Return to Covid-19 Lockdown Is Met With Anger, Resignation - The Wall Street Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Beshear outlines COVID-19 recommendations for Thanksgiving | News - Huntington Herald Dispatch - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 testing and vaccination schedule for Thanksgiving week - City of Fort Worth - November 23rd, 2021
- As Thanksgiving nears, Covid-19 numbers in Onondaga County are as bad as last winter - syracuse.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Hospitals in Idaho still in crisis of care, but COVID-19 cases trending down - The Spokesman-Review - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases again on the rise in Kentucky. Are we seeing the start of a winter surge? - Courier Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Nearly all University of Tennessee student employees are required to get COVID-19 vaccines - Knoxville News Sentinel - November 23rd, 2021
- Californias COVID-19 case rate is among nations lowest, but threat remains into holidays - KTLA - November 23rd, 2021
- A New Part of Thanksgiving Dinner: Bring Your Negative Covid-19 Test - The Wall Street Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Wyomings active confirmed COVID-19 case count drops by 208 to 1,290 on Monday - Oil City News - November 23rd, 2021
- Study Shows Better COVID-19 Outcomes Among Vaccinated People with Rheumatic Diseases, Lupus - Lupus Foundation of America - November 23rd, 2021
- Plastic waste release caused by COVID-19 and its fate in the global ocean - pnas.org - November 23rd, 2021
- Daily coronavirus updates: COVID-19 cases now rising ... - November 21st, 2021
- 3 deaths and 850 new COVID-19 cases reported across the state - Bangor Daily News - November 21st, 2021