Security personnel stand guard outside the Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan as members of the ... [+] World Health Organization (WHO) team investigating the origins of the COVID-19 coronavirus make a visit to the institute in Wuhan in China's central Hubei province on February 3, 2021. (Photo by Hector RETAMAL / AFP) (Photo by HECTOR RETAMAL/AFP via Getty Images)
The lab leak hypothesis about the origin of Covid-19 has been getting a lot of attention lately, and deservedly so. This is the idea that the SARS-CoV-2 virus accidentally escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, that conducts research on coronaviruses. Just a few weeks ago, a group of highly respected virologists and epidemiologists published a letter in the journal Science calling for a more thorough investigation, stating that the lab leak hypothesis was not taken seriously enough in earlier investigations.
The coincidence of having a major virus research facility, the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), just a short distance from the live animal food market that was originally believed to be the source of the outbreak is too great to ignore. Even more curious is that WIV was actively doing research on coronaviruses in bats, including the bats that carry a strain of SARS-CoV-2 that is the closest known relative to the Covid-19 virus itself.
From the beginning of the outbreak, attention was focused on WIV, and various conspiracy theorists suggested, without any evidence, that the Covid-19 virus was either intentionally engineered, intentionally released, or both. Let me just say right off the bat that I dont believe either of those claims.
However, I do think the lab leak hypothesis is credible, and its also possible that gain of function research (more about this below) might be responsible.
In arguing against (unsupported) claims that the Chinese released the virus on purpose, a group of virologists published a paper very early in the pandemic, in March 2020, which looked at the genome sequence of the virus and concluded that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus. Other studies since then have come to similar conclusions: the virus is very similar to naturally-occurring coronaviruses, and it is possible that it simply evolved naturally in the wild, probably in bats.
Even so, the lab leak hypothesis remains highly credible, regardless of whether or not the virus was genetically engineered. Heres why. First, we know that lab accidents can happen and viruses can escape, even if these accidents are rare. We also know that the Wuhan Institute of Virology had thousands of viruses, including coronaviruses, in its facility. And despite claims that viruses couldnt possibly have escaped accidentally, a 2017 Nature article describing the then-new Wuhan Institute reported, perhaps prophetically, that worries surround the [Wuhan Institute of Virology], too. The SARS virus has escaped from high-level containment facilities in Beijing multiple times.
The secrecy of the Chinese government, which has not yet allowed independent, outside scientists full access to WIV to investigate, hasnt helped matters. We need to know if any viruses in WIV are similar to the Covid-19 virus, and at this point we cant trust the Chinese governments assurances on this question. Of course, even if they allow outsiders to investigate now, we cannot know that they have preserved all the viruses that were present in the lab in the winter of 2019-2020.
Now lets talk about gain-of-function research. Gain of function, or GoF, refers to research that tries to make viruses or bacteria more harmful, by making them more infectious. This seems crazy, right? And yet its been going on for years, despite the efforts of many scientists to stop it. In the past, GoF research focused on the influenza virus, and in particular on a small number of scientists (highly irresponsible ones, in my view) who were trying to give avian influenzabird fluthe ability to jump from birds into humans. I wrote about this in 2013, and in 2017, and again in 2019, each time calling on the US government to stop funding this extremely dangerous work. The NIH did put a pause on gain-of-function research for a few years, but the work resumed in 2019.
Now, let me explain why GoF research does not require artificially engineering a virus. Viruses mutate very rapidly all by themselves, and RNA viruses like influenza and SARS-CoV-2 mutate even more rapidly than DNA viruses. So a GoF experiment doesnt need to engineer a virus to make it more infectious: instead, scientists can simply grow a few trillion viral particles, which is easy, and design experiments to select the ones that are more infectious. For example, some GoF research on bird flu simply sprays an aerosol mixture of viruses into a ferrets nose (influenza research often uses ferrets, since you cant ethically do this with people), and waits to see if the ferret comes down with the flu. If it does (and this has been done, successfully), the strain that succeeds now has a new function, because it can infect mammals. The viruses that are artificially selected (as opposed to natural selection) in these experiments will appear completely natural; no genetic engineering required.
We know that WIV was conducting gain-of-function experiments, and we know that its work included coronaviruses. Was the Wuhan Institute of Virology running GoF experiments on SARS-CoV-2 viruses from bats? Possibly. And if it was, these experiments could easily have produced a strain that infected humans. If a lab employee was accidentally infected with such a strain, that could have started the pandemic. And even if SARS-CoV-2 wasnt the subject of GoF experiments, a naturally-occurring strain being studied at WIV could still have infected one of their scientists and thereby leaked out into the population.
Im not saying that any of these events is likely. I am, however, agreeing with the scientists who, in their recent letter to Science, called for a deeper investigation into the cause of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Finally, let me echo a sentiment they expressed in their letter, which is best said by simply quoting them: in this time of unfortunate anti-Asian sentiment in some countries, we note that at the beginning of the pandemic, it was Chinese doctors, scientists, journalists, and citizens who shared with the world crucial information about the spread of the virusoften at great personal cost. Rather than seeking to cast blame, we need to uncover the origin of the Covid-19 pandemic, and any behaviors that led to it, as a means to help all societies prevent future pandemics.
Continue reading here:
Lab Leaks And Covid-19: Why The Lab Leak Hypothesis Doesnt Mean The Virus Was Engineered - Forbes
- USF epidemiologist: vaccination rate must double to slow transmission of COVID-19 - University of South Florida - July 24th, 2021
- Making waves in India: Media and the COVID-19 pandemic - Brookings Institution - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases increasing in King County: Vaccination continues to be our best protection - Public Health Insider - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-23-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 24th, 2021
- New Zealand Suspends Travel Bubble With Australia As Sydney COVID-19 Cluster Grows - NPR - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19: Are lockdowns worse than the disease? - Medical News Today - July 24th, 2021
- Alaska's COVID-19 surge continues with 447 cases, 2 deaths and rising hospitalizations reported Thursday and Friday - Anchorage Daily News - July 24th, 2021
- Oregon firefighters face return of hazardous conditions, COVID-19 outbreak - Reuters - July 24th, 2021
- We have vaccines. Did the Covid-19 Olympics have to be a mess? - Vox.com - July 24th, 2021
- Early COVID-19 responses in the nose and throat predict disease severity - Boston Children's Answers - Boston Children's Discoveries - July 24th, 2021
- Delta variant in Indiana: What you need to know about COVID-19 variant - IndyStar - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 town hall preps parents for return to school - The Mercury - July 24th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser and DC Health Release the District of Columbia COVID-19 Pandemic Health and Healthcare Recovery Report | mayormb - Executive Office of... - July 24th, 2021
- Breakthrough infection: Fully-vaccinated Struthers woman still contracted COVID-19 - WKBN.com - July 24th, 2021
- 1,000+ breakthrough cases of COVID-19 reported in Tennessee - WKRN News 2 - July 24th, 2021
- Illinois reports 7,983 new cases of COVID-19, 47 deaths over past week - WGN TV Chicago - July 24th, 2021
- Indias Covid-19 Death Toll Is Likely in the Millions, Study Finds - The Wall Street Journal - July 24th, 2021
- With Tokyo 2020 overshadowed by Covid-19, athletes are left to bring light to troubled Olympics - CNN - July 24th, 2021
- Gauteng launches COVID-19 vaccination drive-thru - SABC ... - July 22nd, 2021
- Grave concern: Gauteng prepares cemeteries as Covid-19 ... - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: New maps expose Gauteng's worst hot-spots [photo] - July 22nd, 2021
- Texas has seen nearly 9000 COVID-19 deaths since February. All but 43 were unvaccinated people. - The Texas Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- How Nations Are Learning to Live With Covid-19 Pandemic - The New York Times - July 22nd, 2021
- When will COVID-19 vaccines be fully approvedand does it matter whether they are? - Science Magazine - July 22nd, 2021
- Louisiana Hits Third-Highest Number Of COVID-19 Cases Reported In A Day - WWNO - July 22nd, 2021
- CBJ reports 29 new COVID-19 cases in Juneau July 20 & 21 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - July 22nd, 2021
- Who is providing COVID-19 care in the Washington Metropolitan Area? - The D.C. Policy Center - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the pandemic on 21 July - World Economic Forum - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases going up in Oregon as number of people getting vaccinated drops - OPB News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID Vaccines And Infertility? How Misinformation Spreads In 6 Steps : Shots - Health News - NPR - July 22nd, 2021
- Inslee rescinds three proclamations related to the COVID-19 pandemic | Governor Jay Inslee - Governor Jay Inslee - July 22nd, 2021
- Cape Cod COVID-19 cluster grows to more than 130 infected, prompting renewed mitigation efforts - ABC News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine Success Could Be Measured With One Number - The Atlantic - July 22nd, 2021
- Delta Variant of Covid-19 Isnt Expected to Dent Robust U.S. Recovery - The Wall Street Journal - July 22nd, 2021
- How Universities Are Preparing for Another School Year Amid COVID-19 - WTTW News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: How can the air quality in India be improved? | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - July 22nd, 2021
- US extends Covid-19 travel restrictions with Canada and Mexico through August 21 - CNN - July 22nd, 2021
- Covid-19 'is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated,' CDC director says - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Southeast Asian Countries Struggle To Contain A Devastating Third Wave Of COVID-19 - NPR - July 20th, 2021
- Covid-19 breakthrough infections are preventable, but it's going to take a big effort to stop them - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Costco reverses course and will keep senior hours as COVID-19 cases increase nationwide - USA TODAY - July 20th, 2021
- U.S. Womens Gymnastics Alternate Tests Positive for Covid-19 at Tokyo Olympics - The Wall Street Journal - July 20th, 2021
- Olympics and Covid-19 pandemic: Live updates - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- ALERT: Uncontrolled COVID-19 spread reported in Williamson County - KXAN.com - July 20th, 2021
- Five Texas House Democrats test positive for Covid-19 in Washington - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Austin area may see over 12,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations before October, UT projections show - KXAN.com - July 20th, 2021
- How Delta is pushing the US into a new phase of the Covid-19 pandemic - STAT - July 20th, 2021
- Baker-Polito Administration to Invest $186 Million in Federal COVID-19 Funding for Critical Health Care and Workforce Priorities - Mass.gov - July 20th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 19 July - World Economic Forum - July 20th, 2021
- NEW: Nevadas COVID-19 hospitalizations, cases soar as state hits 12% test positivity over the weekend - KLAS - 8 News Now - July 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases may cause an S&P 500 correction, analyst says. Buy these stocks in the next dip. - MarketWatch - July 20th, 2021
- VB health department hosting COVID-19 vaccine clinic on Wednesday, July 21 - WAVY.com - July 20th, 2021
- U.S. Covid-19 Case Counts Have Doubled in Recent Weeks - The Wall Street Journal - July 20th, 2021
- Insurer Filings Suggest COVID-19 Pandemic Will Not Drive Health Spending In 2022 - Kaiser Family Foundation - July 20th, 2021
- Vaccinated U.K. Health Secretary Tests Positive For COVID-19 - NPR - July 18th, 2021
- Music banned on Greece's Mykonos in new COVID-19 restrictions - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- With Startling Surge in COVID-19 Cases Among the Unvaccinated, Gov. John Bel Edwards Encourages All Louisianans to Take Precautions - Governor John... - July 18th, 2021
- Niger Is the Land That Covid-19 Forgot - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- A small percentage of Alaska's COVID-19 cases have involved fully vaccinated people. Here's what we know so far. - KTOO - July 18th, 2021
- All adults in Britain offered a COVID-19 shot ahead of Monday reopening - Reuters UK - July 18th, 2021
- 154 Norovirus Outbreaks In England As Covid-19 Precautions Relaxed - Forbes - July 18th, 2021
- 'Just trying to keep it together': Springfield nurses frustrated as COVID-19 surges - News-Leader - July 18th, 2021
- From dancing to delta variant: One Austin mans COVID-19 battle and the message from his loved ones - KXAN.com - July 18th, 2021
- Louisiana Department of Health announces COVID-19 testing for week of July 19-25 | Department of Health | State of Louisiana - Louisiana Department of... - July 18th, 2021
- Georgia rugby coach on ventilator with COVID-19 in SAfrica - Associated Press - July 18th, 2021
- Here's How Well COVID-19 Vaccines Work Against the Delta Variant - Healthline - July 18th, 2021
- As COVID-19 surges again, what experts say about the millions of unvaccinated - ABC News - July 18th, 2021
- Yankees Add Aaron Judge and Two Others to Covid-19 Injured List - The New York Times - July 18th, 2021
- Clues to Covid-19s Origins Include Anonymous Skin Sample in Italy - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- COVID-19: Customer Information | Eastern Bank - July 15th, 2021
- 3 Things You Need to Know About the Delta Variant - COVID-19, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-15-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 15th, 2021
- Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund | Eastern Bank - July 15th, 2021
- Study finds physicians are widely effective messengers of Covid-19 information - MIT News - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 Delta variant could be to blame for recent breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated people - ABC Action News - July 15th, 2021
- CBJ reports nine new COVID-19 cases in Juneau July 13 & 14 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 15 July - World Economic Forum - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic leads to major backsliding on childhood vaccinations, new WHO - UNICEF - July 15th, 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 cases more than double in two weeks as delta variant spreads fast, and WHO warns 'pandemic nowhere near finished' - MarketWatch - July 15th, 2021
- Nearly in tears of disbelief: Central Texans share experiences of getting COVID-19 even after vaccination - KXAN.com - July 15th, 2021