IDAHO FALLS Local hospitals plan to comply with a federal health rule that requires healthcare workers get the COVID-19 vaccine.
On Nov. 4, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued an Interim Final Rule (IFR) requiring COVID-19 vaccination of eligible staff at health care facilities that participate in the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
The rule was created to protect healthcare workers and patients from the virus, according to CMS. With this rule, over 17 million health care workers across the country must be fully vaccinated by Jan. 4, 2022. The remedy for non-compliance is termination, CMS said.
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, Mountain View Hospital, Idaho Falls Community Hospital, Madison Memorial Hospital and Bingham Memorial Hospital will comply with the mandate, hospital spokespeople told EastIdahoNews.com.
Since COVID-19 vaccines became available earlier this year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as our infectious disease experts, have been strongly encouraging vaccination as a critical step to protect individuals from the virus and the majority of HCA Healthcare colleagues have already been fully vaccinated. We are working with our colleagues to assist those that have not yet received the vaccine, an HCA Healthcare representative told EastIdahoNews.com. HCA Healthcare operates EIRMC in Idaho Falls.
Eligible staff must receive the first dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine or a one-dose COVID vaccine prior to providing any care, treatment or other services by Dec. 6, 2021, CMS explained.
All eligible staff must have received the necessary shots to be fully vaccinated either two doses of Pfizer or Moderna or one dose of Johnson & Johnson by January 4, 2022, CMS stated. The regulation also provides for exemptions based on recognized medical conditions or religious beliefs, observances, or practices.
Mountain View and Idaho Falls Community Hospital report that a majority of its team members have already got the COVID-19 vaccine, but spokeswoman Natalie Podgorski said, To respect the privacy of our team, we cannot provide an exact percentage.
In an email letter sent to its staff, Mountain View officials were apologetic and said they risk losing 40 percent of their patients if they did not comply with the mandate. We cannot abandon our patients, so we must change our policy, the email reads.
Madison Memorial spokesman Doug McBride did not say how many of its employees are vaccinated, but that the hospital is working through details of implementation.
In Blackfoot, Bingham Memorial spokesman Mark Baker said 75% or more of its employees are already vaccinated.
While I have personally made the decision to be vaccinated, and believe its the most effective way to combat the COVID-19 virus, I also value and respect individual choice and had hoped other options would be available, CEO Bingham Healthcare Jake Erickson said. We have not previously required employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, nor did we intend to do so.
The order that healthcare facilities are up against is separate from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) mandate thats currently on hold in the federal court system.
A lot of people assume CMS rule is the same as the OSHA one, but its actually much more strict, Baker said. CMS also has greater leverage over health care providers because over 50% of healthcare is paid for by government payers such as Medicare and Medicaid. They are essentially saying, You do this or we will revoke our contract with you.'
Earlier this week, Idaho Gov. Brad Little joined a multi-state lawsuit to challenge the requirement that healthcare workers be vaccinated against COVID-19. The lawsuit, which originated in Louisiana, includes a dozen states.
Idaho has also joined two other lawsuits opposing COVID-19 mandates. The first lawsuit opposed the mandate that federal contractors require vaccinations. The second lawsuit opposes the OSHA mandate that requires private companies with over 100 employees get their workers vaccinated or be tested weekly for COVID-19.
EastIdahoNews.com reached out to Portneuf Medical Center regarding the situation but did not hear back.
Go here to see the original:
Local hospitals will comply with COVID-19 vaccine mandates, or risk losing Medicare and Medicaid patients - East Idaho News
- COVID-19 vaccine clinic for kids age 5-11 this Saturday at Riverbend City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - December 3rd, 2021
- AdventHealth suspends COVID-19 vaccine requirements for employees - West Orange Times & Windermere Observer - December 3rd, 2021
- Get vaccinated before the holidays at Oshkosh's popup COVID-19 vaccine clinic - Fox11online.com - December 3rd, 2021
- What will tomorrow's Covid-19 vaccines be like? - BBC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Europe Sees Boost in Uptake of Covid-19 Shots but Vaccine Mandates Are Still on the Table - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines are not gene therapy and a Forbes article doesn't say they are - PolitiFact - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Update: CTTP hours during finals and break, COVID-19 Vaccines and Flu Shots - Carolina Together : Carolina Together - Carolina Together - December 3rd, 2021
- Celebrity Kids Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine: Photos - Us Weekly - December 3rd, 2021
- Czechs to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for over 60s -news website - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- DeKalb County is offering $100 to everyone who gets COVID-19 vaccine there - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 3rd, 2021
- Top 10 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in Virginia - 8News - December 3rd, 2021
- With Queensland about to open its border, COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy is waning but protests are getting bigger - ABC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Factbox: What COVID-19 vaccine and drug makers have to say about Omicron - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- Mongolian Government To Build On COVID-19 Vaccine And Booster Success - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- How quickly does protection wane after the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine? - Medical News Today - December 2nd, 2021
- Greece will mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for anyone over 60, or make them pay fines - NPR - December 2nd, 2021
- First COVID-19 vaccine administered in Washington is given to 13 healthcare workers on December 15, 2020. - HistoryLink.org - December 2nd, 2021
- There's no proof COVID-19 vaccines are causing healthy athletes to collapse - PolitiFact - December 2nd, 2021
- First U.S. omicron patient was fully vaccinated and has mild Covid symptoms, officials say - CNBC - December 2nd, 2021
- New data on the link between COVID-19 vaccines and myopericarditis - Cardiovascular Business - December 2nd, 2021
- Italy approves COVID-19 vaccination for 5-11 year olds - Reuters - December 2nd, 2021
- Contributor: While Many Americans Refuse COVID-19 Vaccination, People Affected by HIV Have Been Waiting for 40 Years - AJMC.com Managed Markets... - December 2nd, 2021
- Health officials recommend getting COVID-19 vaccine and booster as they learn more about Omicron variant - whnt.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Maryland-Based Vaccine Manufacturer Developing COVID-19 Vaccine That Targets Omicron Variant - CBS Baltimore - December 2nd, 2021
- Omicron brings COVID-19 vaccine inequity home to roost - Boston.com - December 2nd, 2021
- European Union mulling mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- Hundreds of NYC correction officers to be suspended for failing to meet COVID-19 vaccination deadline - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- KDHE Vaccine KS | Official Website - November 29th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine Eat This Not That - November 29th, 2021
- Why Moderna refuses to share the rights for a COVID-19 vaccine developed with taxpayer funding - Milwaukee Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine Makers Assess Omicron Response - The Wall Street Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Moderna says its COVID-19 vaccine protective, safe in ... - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine and Omicron Variant: Live Updates - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Social media on the acceptance of the COVID-19 vaccine | PPA - Dove Medical Press - November 29th, 2021
- Are covid-19 vaccines effective against the omicron variant? - Quartz - November 29th, 2021
- Vaccine booster time frame to be reviewed as COVID-19 Omicron variant appears in Australia - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- Former WH advisor: Trump would already have new vaccines for Omicron - Business Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Egypt is one step away from its first national COVID-19 vaccine - Egypt Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccines or Infections: Which Carries the Stronger Immunity? - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID19 Vaccine Tracker - November 27th, 2021
- COVID hit this family twice, but vaccines blunted reinfections : Shots - Health News - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- NC Marines involved in litigation over COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Jacksonville Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Union County Offers Additional Sites for Free COVID-19 Vaccines and Booster Shots this Week County of Union, New Jersey - UCNJ.org - November 27th, 2021
- Some LGBTQ+ people worry that the COVID-19 vaccine will affect HIV medication. It won't. - WFAE - November 27th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine Recipients Often Shift to Other Boosters - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccine: Antibodies more than halved after 6 months - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccines Tested in Low-Income Countries, But Distributed in Wealthy Nations - Contagionlive.com - November 27th, 2021
- WHO labels new Covid strain, named omicron, a 'variant of concern,' citing possible increased reinfection risk - CNBC - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 26 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 27th, 2021
- How one discredited 1998 study paved the way for today's anti-vaxxers - Salon - November 27th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Shame on Vail Resorts for COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Summit Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Omicron concerns should spur millions of unvaccinated Americans to get their Covid shots, experts say - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Thanksgiving is possible this year because of Covid-19 vaccines - MSNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Could a COVID-19 vaccine patch be better than injections? - Aljazeera.com - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine clinics happening next week, Nov. 29 Dec. 4 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine supply catches up with demand in Indianapolis metro area - WISHTV.com - November 25th, 2021
- CDC authorizes COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for all adults ages 18 and up | Arizona Emergency information Network - az.gov - November 25th, 2021
- Poll: Majority of Thanksgiving hosts not requiring COVID-19 vaccine, masks - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- The effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines illustrated by two graphs - EL PAS in English - November 25th, 2021
- Gov. Hochul announces COVID-19 vaccine incentive aimed at outdoor enthusiasts - WKBW-TV - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, you can get the COVID-19 vaccine if you have mild cold symptoms: doctor - KRON4 - November 25th, 2021
- This Is How Many COVID-19 Vaccines Washington Has Received So Far - Patch.com - November 25th, 2021
- Governor Hochul Announces Direct Messaging Efforts to Increase COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Rates Among New Yorkers - NY.gov - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine - Southern Nevada Health District - November 23rd, 2021
- More than 90% of federal workers have had a shot by today's COVID-19 vaccine deadline - NPR - November 23rd, 2021
- Our COVID-19 Response Efforts | Johnson & Johnson - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduling Options - November 23rd, 2021
- EU says decision on J&J COVID-19 vaccine booster dose 'within weeks' - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination status and time until return to work among healthcare workers - News-Medical.net - November 23rd, 2021
- MCPS softens COVID-19 vaccination mandate to allow for weekly testing instead - BethesdaMagazine.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Plenty of COVID-19 vaccine appointments available in Triangle ahead of the holiday - CBS17.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Many men dont take good care of themselves. COVID-19 vaccine rates are the latest in a problem as old as medicine. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 23rd, 2021
- Chicago Hits Goal As 77% Of Residents 12 And Older Have Gotten 1 Shot Of COVID-19 Vaccine - Block Club Chicago - November 23rd, 2021
- New UMass Amherst/WCVB poll on children being vaccinated against COVID-19 - WCVB Boston - November 23rd, 2021
- Maui Pediatrician Discusses Safety and Efficacy of the COVID-19 Vaccine in Kids - Maui Now - November 21st, 2021
- 20 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in California - KTLA - November 21st, 2021
- Why Moderna wont share rights to the COVID-19 vaccine with the government that paid for its development - KRQE News 13 - November 21st, 2021
- 6-year-old son of Boston Mayor Michelle Wu receives first dose of COVID-19 vaccine - WCVB Boston - November 21st, 2021
- More than half of Athens County has begun the COVID-19 vaccination process as of Nov. 20 - WOUB - November 21st, 2021
- Unvaccinated-Only Lockdowns Come to Europe - The Atlantic - November 21st, 2021