LUBBOCK, Texas The families of law enforcement officers who died of COVID-19, were originally denied their line of duty death benefits. Thats because they couldnt prove they had actually contracted it while on the job.
The widow of former Lynn County Sheriff Abraham Vega was in this exact situation and pushed things to change and her efforts proved to be a success.
Sheriff Vega died of complications from COVID-19 in July 2020.
Its a relief that we finally got for him what he deserves, said Sheriff Vegas wife, Rachel Vega.
With the signing of Senate Bill 22 Vega has finally achieved what she spent the last year fighting so hard for.
I wasnt going to stop until he got what he deserved and the legacy he deserved, said Vega.
SB 22 allows the families of law enforcement who died due to COVID-19 to receive a line of duty death designation.This is important when it comes to insurance and workers compensation benefits.
Meaningthey died in the line of duty and their families are entitled to coverage benefits and monetary compensation after their deaths.
State representative Dustin Burrows was a joint sponsor of this bill and says it was the right thing to do.
When COVID first broke out many of us were able to stay home. We were told to stay home and do a lot of things our first responders, police, firefighters, EMTs, and correction workers could not do, said State Representative for District 83, Dustin Burrows.
Before this bill those who wished to receive line of duty death benefits were denied because it was considered too difficult to determine if the officer actually contracted COVID while on duty. That was the situation the Vega family found themselves in.
But SB 22 establishes COVID as a presumptive illness meaning any law enforcement officer who dies from COVID it is presumed they got it as a result of their service.
They shouldnt have the fear of whats going to happen if they get exposed or get sick, whether they have to go home and whether they get really sick and end up in the hospital or worse they should not have to have this fear, said Burrows.
Vega says it feels like a weight has been lifted from her shoulders.
A year ago my life completely changed. From A year ago to today so many things have happened and a year ago I would have never thought Id be in the place I am today, said Vega. When you believe in something and for a good cause you can stand up and make a difference.
Finally knowing her husband finally got the honor he deserved.
Knowing that his name will be one of those that is designated line of duty deaths and it just puts his name on the legacy of those who have given the ultimate price because he did, said Vega.
Vega has already started the paperwork once again for the line of duty death designation and hopes to hear back on when she will receive it in the coming months.
See the original post here:
Lynn County sheriff who died of COVID-19 can now receive line of duty death benefits - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com
- USF epidemiologist: vaccination rate must double to slow transmission of COVID-19 - University of South Florida - July 24th, 2021
- Making waves in India: Media and the COVID-19 pandemic - Brookings Institution - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases increasing in King County: Vaccination continues to be our best protection - Public Health Insider - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-23-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 24th, 2021
- New Zealand Suspends Travel Bubble With Australia As Sydney COVID-19 Cluster Grows - NPR - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19: Are lockdowns worse than the disease? - Medical News Today - July 24th, 2021
- Alaska's COVID-19 surge continues with 447 cases, 2 deaths and rising hospitalizations reported Thursday and Friday - Anchorage Daily News - July 24th, 2021
- Oregon firefighters face return of hazardous conditions, COVID-19 outbreak - Reuters - July 24th, 2021
- We have vaccines. Did the Covid-19 Olympics have to be a mess? - Vox.com - July 24th, 2021
- Early COVID-19 responses in the nose and throat predict disease severity - Boston Children's Answers - Boston Children's Discoveries - July 24th, 2021
- Delta variant in Indiana: What you need to know about COVID-19 variant - IndyStar - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 town hall preps parents for return to school - The Mercury - July 24th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser and DC Health Release the District of Columbia COVID-19 Pandemic Health and Healthcare Recovery Report | mayormb - Executive Office of... - July 24th, 2021
- Breakthrough infection: Fully-vaccinated Struthers woman still contracted COVID-19 - WKBN.com - July 24th, 2021
- 1,000+ breakthrough cases of COVID-19 reported in Tennessee - WKRN News 2 - July 24th, 2021
- Illinois reports 7,983 new cases of COVID-19, 47 deaths over past week - WGN TV Chicago - July 24th, 2021
- Indias Covid-19 Death Toll Is Likely in the Millions, Study Finds - The Wall Street Journal - July 24th, 2021
- With Tokyo 2020 overshadowed by Covid-19, athletes are left to bring light to troubled Olympics - CNN - July 24th, 2021
- Gauteng launches COVID-19 vaccination drive-thru - SABC ... - July 22nd, 2021
- Grave concern: Gauteng prepares cemeteries as Covid-19 ... - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: New maps expose Gauteng's worst hot-spots [photo] - July 22nd, 2021
- Texas has seen nearly 9000 COVID-19 deaths since February. All but 43 were unvaccinated people. - The Texas Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- How Nations Are Learning to Live With Covid-19 Pandemic - The New York Times - July 22nd, 2021
- When will COVID-19 vaccines be fully approvedand does it matter whether they are? - Science Magazine - July 22nd, 2021
- Louisiana Hits Third-Highest Number Of COVID-19 Cases Reported In A Day - WWNO - July 22nd, 2021
- CBJ reports 29 new COVID-19 cases in Juneau July 20 & 21 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - July 22nd, 2021
- Who is providing COVID-19 care in the Washington Metropolitan Area? - The D.C. Policy Center - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the pandemic on 21 July - World Economic Forum - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases going up in Oregon as number of people getting vaccinated drops - OPB News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID Vaccines And Infertility? How Misinformation Spreads In 6 Steps : Shots - Health News - NPR - July 22nd, 2021
- Inslee rescinds three proclamations related to the COVID-19 pandemic | Governor Jay Inslee - Governor Jay Inslee - July 22nd, 2021
- Cape Cod COVID-19 cluster grows to more than 130 infected, prompting renewed mitigation efforts - ABC News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine Success Could Be Measured With One Number - The Atlantic - July 22nd, 2021
- Delta Variant of Covid-19 Isnt Expected to Dent Robust U.S. Recovery - The Wall Street Journal - July 22nd, 2021
- How Universities Are Preparing for Another School Year Amid COVID-19 - WTTW News - July 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19: How can the air quality in India be improved? | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - July 22nd, 2021
- US extends Covid-19 travel restrictions with Canada and Mexico through August 21 - CNN - July 22nd, 2021
- Covid-19 'is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated,' CDC director says - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Southeast Asian Countries Struggle To Contain A Devastating Third Wave Of COVID-19 - NPR - July 20th, 2021
- Covid-19 breakthrough infections are preventable, but it's going to take a big effort to stop them - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Costco reverses course and will keep senior hours as COVID-19 cases increase nationwide - USA TODAY - July 20th, 2021
- U.S. Womens Gymnastics Alternate Tests Positive for Covid-19 at Tokyo Olympics - The Wall Street Journal - July 20th, 2021
- Olympics and Covid-19 pandemic: Live updates - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- ALERT: Uncontrolled COVID-19 spread reported in Williamson County - KXAN.com - July 20th, 2021
- Five Texas House Democrats test positive for Covid-19 in Washington - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Austin area may see over 12,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations before October, UT projections show - KXAN.com - July 20th, 2021
- How Delta is pushing the US into a new phase of the Covid-19 pandemic - STAT - July 20th, 2021
- Baker-Polito Administration to Invest $186 Million in Federal COVID-19 Funding for Critical Health Care and Workforce Priorities - Mass.gov - July 20th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 19 July - World Economic Forum - July 20th, 2021
- NEW: Nevadas COVID-19 hospitalizations, cases soar as state hits 12% test positivity over the weekend - KLAS - 8 News Now - July 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases may cause an S&P 500 correction, analyst says. Buy these stocks in the next dip. - MarketWatch - July 20th, 2021
- VB health department hosting COVID-19 vaccine clinic on Wednesday, July 21 - WAVY.com - July 20th, 2021
- U.S. Covid-19 Case Counts Have Doubled in Recent Weeks - The Wall Street Journal - July 20th, 2021
- Insurer Filings Suggest COVID-19 Pandemic Will Not Drive Health Spending In 2022 - Kaiser Family Foundation - July 20th, 2021
- Vaccinated U.K. Health Secretary Tests Positive For COVID-19 - NPR - July 18th, 2021
- Music banned on Greece's Mykonos in new COVID-19 restrictions - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- With Startling Surge in COVID-19 Cases Among the Unvaccinated, Gov. John Bel Edwards Encourages All Louisianans to Take Precautions - Governor John... - July 18th, 2021
- Niger Is the Land That Covid-19 Forgot - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- A small percentage of Alaska's COVID-19 cases have involved fully vaccinated people. Here's what we know so far. - KTOO - July 18th, 2021
- All adults in Britain offered a COVID-19 shot ahead of Monday reopening - Reuters UK - July 18th, 2021
- 154 Norovirus Outbreaks In England As Covid-19 Precautions Relaxed - Forbes - July 18th, 2021
- 'Just trying to keep it together': Springfield nurses frustrated as COVID-19 surges - News-Leader - July 18th, 2021
- From dancing to delta variant: One Austin mans COVID-19 battle and the message from his loved ones - KXAN.com - July 18th, 2021
- Louisiana Department of Health announces COVID-19 testing for week of July 19-25 | Department of Health | State of Louisiana - Louisiana Department of... - July 18th, 2021
- Georgia rugby coach on ventilator with COVID-19 in SAfrica - Associated Press - July 18th, 2021
- Here's How Well COVID-19 Vaccines Work Against the Delta Variant - Healthline - July 18th, 2021
- As COVID-19 surges again, what experts say about the millions of unvaccinated - ABC News - July 18th, 2021
- Yankees Add Aaron Judge and Two Others to Covid-19 Injured List - The New York Times - July 18th, 2021
- Clues to Covid-19s Origins Include Anonymous Skin Sample in Italy - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- COVID-19: Customer Information | Eastern Bank - July 15th, 2021
- 3 Things You Need to Know About the Delta Variant - COVID-19, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-15-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 15th, 2021
- Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund | Eastern Bank - July 15th, 2021
- Study finds physicians are widely effective messengers of Covid-19 information - MIT News - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 Delta variant could be to blame for recent breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated people - ABC Action News - July 15th, 2021
- CBJ reports nine new COVID-19 cases in Juneau July 13 & 14 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 15 July - World Economic Forum - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic leads to major backsliding on childhood vaccinations, new WHO - UNICEF - July 15th, 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 cases more than double in two weeks as delta variant spreads fast, and WHO warns 'pandemic nowhere near finished' - MarketWatch - July 15th, 2021
- Nearly in tears of disbelief: Central Texans share experiences of getting COVID-19 even after vaccination - KXAN.com - July 15th, 2021