The NBA has implemented new rules that will allow players, coaches and the teams basketball staff a bit more freedom, especially when theyre on the road.
Under the new rules, masks will not have to be worn at the practice facilities, theres more flexibility for players and staff to leave the team hotel on road trips, in-person team meetings will be allowed, meals can be served on all team flights, players and the staff can dine indoors or outdoors at restaurants, and PCR test can be done before 5 p.m.
Also, for players who decide to take the COVID-19 vaccine two weeks past the final vaccine dose there will be no testing on off days, in-person sponsorship and attending marketing events will be allowed, and there will be no quarantine due to contact tracing. Also, family, friends and others can visit the players at home or on the road without testing or registering with the team.
Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said he hasnt read the entire memo from the NBA headquarters. He added that the Mavs wont forced their players to get the COVID-19 vaccination.
But my understanding is that the restrictions are easing up slightly because people are becoming vaccinated, which is a great thing, Carlisle said. I dont have details, league-wide, as to which teams have been vaccinated and which havent.
In terms of our players, vaccination is certainly going to be their choice. Its not something that will be required. My feeling is it will be encouraged, but its going to be their choice alone. They wont be forced to do it.
Portland Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts is excited that the NBA has taken this stance to relax some of the rules and trying to give the players, coaches and staff a bit more freedom.
I think its a great motivation to get everybody vaccinated, and to me thats paramount, obviously, Stotts. And it should be good motivation to get vaccinated.
But I look forward to that day when we are able to take advantage of all those things that are being loosen up.
The Atlanta Hawks announced Thursday that 36 staff members including 14 of their players have received their first vaccination. The New Orleans Pelicans have also announced that some of their players and basketball staff have received the first does of the COVID-19 vaccine.
With the playoffs coming in May, the NBA would like to avoid a situation like what occurred in the recent All-Star game when Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons couldnt play in the game after they came in contact with their barber, who tested positive for the coronavirus. Embiid and Simmons couldnt play in the All-Star game because of contact tracing and had to return home and quarantine.
If something of that nature happens in the playoffs, it would be a major problem that the NBA wants to avoid.
Meanwhile, Carlisle said: It feels like things are going in a positive direction. Theres a few more people in the buildings now.
Our home building now is starting to feel more like a home building, which is great for our fans and great for our players. And were seeing that across the league as well in other buildings.
Very amusing: In case anyone missed it, something very amusing happened on Thursdays showing of ESPNS The Jump.
The host and co-hosts were extolling the virtues of Sacramento point guard DeAaron Fox, who buried a game-winning jump shot on Wednesday over Washingtons Bradley Beal with just 0.7 seconds remaining that gave the Kings a 121-119 victory over the Wizards, and then this happened.
Finally, the Kings have done something right drafting DeAaron Fox and giving him a max contract because hes earned it, co-host Kendrick Perkins said. Hes getting better every single year and now hes starting to show us that hes capable of taking over fourth quarters and being clutch.
Thats when host, Rachel Nichols, chimed in and said: Well Perk, you speak no lies. But I will also point out that the Kings have done a lot of not right things after drafting DeAaron Fox. Nichols then intentionally coughed and said: Luka.
Nichols intentionally coughed again and said: Luka. I have something caught in my throat. She intentionally coughed again and said: Luka.
Obviously, the intentional coughs by Nichols were tongue-in-cheek. But theres truth in the fact that after using the fifth overall pick in 2017 NBA Draft to select Fox, the Kings bypassed on a chance to draft Luka Doncic in 2018.
The Phoenix Suns drafted Deandre Ayton with the No. 1 overall selection of the 2018 draft, and the Kings had the No. 2 pick and Doncic obviously was still on the board. But instead of drafting Doncic, the Kings drafted Marvin Bagley III.
Cauley-Stein out: Mavs center Willie Cauley-Stein missed Fridays game at Portland because of the NBAs health and safety protocols.
I cant get into too much detail, coach Rick Carlisle said. But it was just a situation where he may have come in contact and so hes entered quarantine, and I dont know for how long its going to be or anything like that.
The good news is it was something that does not affect the rest of the team. Well miss him for this unspecified amount of time. Hes been having a terrific year.
Carlisle also said theres a chance forward Dorian Finney-Smith could join the Mavs at some point on this three-game road trip. Finney-Smith also missed Wednesdays home game against the Los Angeles Clippers after the borth of his son earlier that day.
After playing in Portland again on Sunday, the Mavs play in Minnesota on Wednesday.
See the original post here:
Mavericks won't require their players to get the coronavirus vaccine - The Official Home of the - Mavs.com
- Coronavirus news live: Latest as lockdown easing sees shops and pubs crowded - The Independent - April 12th, 2021
- Covid UK: coronavirus cases, deaths and vaccinations today - The Guardian - April 12th, 2021
- Asia Today: India records another surge in COVID-19 cases - The Associated Press - April 12th, 2021
- The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine Is Less Effective Against The South African And UK Variants Than Against The Original Virus, According To A New... - April 12th, 2021
- How Long Should You Wait To Get the Vaccine After Having COVID-19? - ideastream - April 9th, 2021
- What you should (and shouldn't) do with your vaccination card - KING5.com - April 9th, 2021
- UC Davis Health opening vaccinations up to anyone 16 and older | COVID-19 Updates in Northern California - ABC10.com KXTV - April 7th, 2021
- Can Vaccinated People Spread the Virus? - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany to restrict AstraZeneca use in under-60s over clots - The Associated Press - April 5th, 2021
- The COVID-19 vaccine side effects you can expect based on your age, sex, and dose - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Covid-19: Johnson & Johnson Put in Charge of Plant That Ruined Millions of Vaccine Doses - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany restricts use of AstraZeneca vaccine to over 60s in most cases - DW (English) - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccines with a side of fried fish are on the Good Friday menu in Central City - NOLA.com - April 3rd, 2021
- Explained: Making sense of Indias Covid-19 data - The Indian Express - April 3rd, 2021
- 35 Pa. counties have substantial spread of COVID-19; positive test rate rises for second week in a row - PennLive - March 30th, 2021
- Covid-19 News: In-Person School Attendance Inches Up but Roadblocks Remain - The New York Times - March 30th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases surging in Pa. and N.J. as variants spread; Biden sets goal of 200 million vaccinations by end - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 28th, 2021
- Why Supply Isnt the Only Thing Stymying Europes Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout - The New York Times - March 26th, 2021
- All Georgia adults will be eligible for coronavirus vaccines starting Thursday - Atlanta Journal Constitution - March 26th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine (COVID-19 Immunization Updates) | CVS Pharmacy - March 24th, 2021
- Health experts give green light to Janssen COVID jab, allay clotting concerns - UN News - March 20th, 2021
- New York City marks anniversary of 1st COVID-19 death with memorial services - ABC News - March 15th, 2021
- Will I have to wear a mask after getting the Covid vaccine? The science explained - The Guardian - March 15th, 2021
- Health Department ignored red flags in Philly Fighting COVID partnership, inspector general says - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccination scam calls reported in Bay and Saginaw counties - MLive.com - March 11th, 2021
- When will children be able to get COVID-19 vaccines? - KHOU.com - March 8th, 2021
- What you need to know about the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine - WHYY - March 8th, 2021
- People who have had COVID-19 might need only one shot of a coronavirus vaccine - Science News Magazine - March 6th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" - PR Newswire India - March 6th, 2021
- Who should skip the second shot of coronavirus vaccine? Weve got answers - cleveland.com - March 4th, 2021
- Explained: As you take the Covid-19 vaccine, some dos and donts - The Indian Express - March 4th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" USA - PRNewswire - March 4th, 2021
- Indias Covid-19 Vaccine Is Found Effective, Boosting National Efforts - The Wall Street Journal - March 4th, 2021
- Latest COVID-19 vaccination numbers in DC, Maryland and Virginia - WTOP - March 4th, 2021
- Situation Update: Response to COVID-19 in Indonesia (As of 1 March 2021) [EN/ID] - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - March 4th, 2021
- Dietary Supplement Use and COVID-19: What You Need to Know - JD Supra - March 4th, 2021
- Texas is diverting thousands of COVID-19 vaccine doses away from Dallas County, Judge Jenkins says - WFAA.com - March 2nd, 2021
- The latest on the coronavirus pandemic and vaccines: Live updated - CNN - March 2nd, 2021
- FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization for Third COVID-19 Vaccine - FDA.gov - February 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news update Covid alert drops from 5 to 4 as Queen asks Brits wary of vaccine to think abo - The Sun - February 26th, 2021
- Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 26th, 2021
- The Covid-19 vaccines reduce transmission. Heres the evidence. - Vox.com - February 24th, 2021
- India's Covid vaccine maker told to meet domestic demand first, urges 'rest of the world' to be patient - CNBC - February 24th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Connecticut Will Continue Age-Based Approach To COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility; Educators and Childcare Providers To Have... - February 24th, 2021
- Australian Open crowd boos at mention of coronavirus vaccines and Victorian government after Novak Djokovic's win - ABC News - February 22nd, 2021
- Quixplained: What is the South African variant of Covid-19? - The Indian Express - February 20th, 2021
- Texas power outage, storm delay COVID-19 vaccine deliveries, injections - The Texas Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- How many Covid vaccinations have been given in my area? Use our postcode tool to find out - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2021
- Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - The Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 tests, not to be confused with vaccine, in LA to be available without appointment next week - FOX 11 Los Angeles - February 20th, 2021
- New coronavirus variants are emerging across the globe: Everything we know - CNET - February 18th, 2021
- Heres why some coronavirus vaccine suppliers say they arent selling to provinces - Global News - February 18th, 2021
- More Than 4 Million Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine Have Been Given in Texas; Supersites Arrive Next Week - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - February 16th, 2021
- The superspreaders behind top COVID-19 conspiracy theories - The Associated Press - February 16th, 2021
- India is set to become a vital Covid vaccine maker perhaps second only to the U.S. - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- Oxford Covid-19 vaccine Q&A: How effective is it, and how is it different to the Pfizer vaccine? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2021
- Boris Johnson says move to ease lockdown will be irreversible - The Independent - February 16th, 2021
- Explained: Are new Covid-19 variants detected in the US more contagious? - The Indian Express - February 16th, 2021
- 78-Year-Old Woman Dies After Receiving COVID-19 Vaccine; No Link Suspected - NBC Southern California - February 14th, 2021
- Here's Who Will Be Eligible for the COVID Vaccine in Illinois Starting Next Week - NBC Chicago - February 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news LIVE Britain to hit 15m Covid vaccination target TODAY as plan to get out of lockdown l - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- A doctor had 6 hours to use a vial of COVID-19 vaccine before it expired, so he gave the shots to 10 people. For that, he was fired. - Chicago Tribune - February 12th, 2021
- Memphis surgeon dies of COVID-related illness weeks after receiving second COVID vaccine - WREG NewsChannel 3 - February 12th, 2021
- Where to sign up for COVID-19 vaccine in Austin, Travis County area - KXAN.com - February 11th, 2021
- Pfizer and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccines are just the beginning. Will Australia miss out on the mRNA medical revolution? - ABC News - February 9th, 2021
- Covid UK news LIVE Over 70s URGED to chase coronavirus vaccine slots as Brits told too early to book summe - The Sun - February 9th, 2021
- UK coronavirus LIVE: Brits face third AstraZeneca vaccine as over-70s urged to contact NHS for jab - Evening Standard - February 9th, 2021
- LIVE BLOG: North Carolina bills for COVID-19 relief, mandatory in-person schooling working through General Assembly - WXII12 Winston-Salem - February 6th, 2021
- New COVID-19 prediction models forecast a potential fourth wave and how to minimize it - GeekWire - February 6th, 2021
- Covid UK news Most adults will be vaccinated by May leaked letter reveals as it emerged pub curfew to be s - The Sun - February 6th, 2021
- The priority list for the Covid vaccines - and how you will be contacted - Telegraph.co.uk - February 6th, 2021
- Select Texas CVS Pharmacy locations to begin administering COVID-19 vaccines next week - KXAN.com - February 4th, 2021
- The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells - The Atlantic - February 4th, 2021
- You think it's taking too long for Covid vaccination? Global Vaccine Timeline stretched to 2023! - Sierra Wave - February 4th, 2021
- What to Know About Covid-19 and the 2021 Super Bowl - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- A Primer on the COVID-19 Vaccines Available in the United States - Davidson News - February 1st, 2021
- Go read this story about how bad software helped slow coronavirus vaccine distribution - The Verge - February 1st, 2021
- Tax season 2021: Stimulus payments, unemployment and every other major change - CNET - January 30th, 2021
- Oregon COVID-19 vaccine update: More than 300,000 people have received at least one dose - KGW.com - January 30th, 2021
- How to get the COVID-19 vaccine from Walgreens - WFLA - January 29th, 2021