RAPID CITY, S.D. (KELO) The COVID-19 pandemic has become dj vu for Dr. Shankar Kurra.
Kurra, the vice president of medical affairs at Monument Health, is back asking the public to help flatten the curve when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Monuments main Rapid City hospital, there are 56 COVID-19 patients in hospital beds, 15 in the ICU and 13 on ventilators. With full hospitals, cases and positivity rates rising again, Kurra said more people need to choose to become vaccinated against COVID-19 to assist local hospitals.
Were already at capacity in the ICUs in the hospital. The only way we can kind of manage this is to get vaccinated so we can slow down and flatten the transmission curve, Kurra said. What we want to avoid in South Dakota is a crisis standard of care situation. The only way you can do that is by vaccination. Vaccination completely suppressed transmission.
As of Thursday, the South Dakota Department of Health reports 70% of the population, age 12 or older, have received at least one dose of the vaccine, while only 58%, age 12 or older, is fully vaccinated. Kurra pointed out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists 69% of the United States population, age 12 or older, is fully vaccinated.
The groups that go to work and go to school are currently under vaccinated, said Kurra, who added the age groups throughout 18 to 50 are 40-50% vaccinated.
With South Dakota trailing the national average for vaccinations, Kurra said theres more opportunity for the coronavirus to transmit. He also said South Dakotas rural makeup creates drastic variables in vaccinations county by county.
As long as you have counties (with large unvaccinated populations), and theres several of them, thats half the population susceptible to the virus, Kurra said. That will be a perfect stage for the next wave.
Kurra said he expects a winter surge and more upticks in COVID-19 cases throughout the months of December, January and February.
Each of the waves are directly related to our human behaviors, Kurra said. Anytime you see an upward trend, there are two things going on. No. 1 its human behaviors and No. 2 is vaccination. The virus itself doesnt drive these waves; its people. The biggest one is the vaccine. Thats the best way to suppress spread.
Until the pandemic chapter of COVID-19 finishes, Kurra said health systems have to remain prepared for large influxes of new patients. Hes optimistic the vaccine now being available for kids aged 5-11 will help get more of the total population to 70% vaccinated against the virus.
Thats a big impact. These kids that go to school are very effective transmitters of the disease, Kurra said.
With more age groups eligible, Kurra still stressed people in all age groups from 5 to 50 need to reach 70% vaccination until COVID-19 can be considered to be more endemic.
Then well stop seeing more waves, Kurra said. The only reason we see waves is because we dont have enough vaccination rates.
With Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve and New Years Day approaching, discussions between family and friends on the COVID-19 vaccine may happen.
Kurra emphasized choices to become vaccinated or not are rational choices.
You have to meet people at where they are in life, Kurra said. My advice for everyone would to engage in a conversation with empathy.
Kurra said hes noticed when people see a neighbor or close friend affected by the disease, theyre more likely to listen.
If we show empathy and understanding of why people chose not to vaccinated, given how bad things are today, I think we can get folks to vaccinated, Kurra said. I dont believe in tough conversations that actually push people away and show a lack of empathy and understanding.
Monument Health concerned as S.D. trails national average for COVID-19 vaccinations - KELOLAND.com
- COVID-19 vaccine clinic for kids age 5-11 this Saturday at Riverbend City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - December 3rd, 2021
- AdventHealth suspends COVID-19 vaccine requirements for employees - West Orange Times & Windermere Observer - December 3rd, 2021
- Get vaccinated before the holidays at Oshkosh's popup COVID-19 vaccine clinic - Fox11online.com - December 3rd, 2021
- What will tomorrow's Covid-19 vaccines be like? - BBC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Europe Sees Boost in Uptake of Covid-19 Shots but Vaccine Mandates Are Still on the Table - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines are not gene therapy and a Forbes article doesn't say they are - PolitiFact - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Update: CTTP hours during finals and break, COVID-19 Vaccines and Flu Shots - Carolina Together : Carolina Together - Carolina Together - December 3rd, 2021
- Celebrity Kids Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine: Photos - Us Weekly - December 3rd, 2021
- Czechs to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for over 60s -news website - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- DeKalb County is offering $100 to everyone who gets COVID-19 vaccine there - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 3rd, 2021
- Top 10 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in Virginia - 8News - December 3rd, 2021
- With Queensland about to open its border, COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy is waning but protests are getting bigger - ABC News - December 3rd, 2021
- Factbox: What COVID-19 vaccine and drug makers have to say about Omicron - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- Mongolian Government To Build On COVID-19 Vaccine And Booster Success - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- How quickly does protection wane after the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine? - Medical News Today - December 2nd, 2021
- Greece will mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for anyone over 60, or make them pay fines - NPR - December 2nd, 2021
- First COVID-19 vaccine administered in Washington is given to 13 healthcare workers on December 15, 2020. - HistoryLink.org - December 2nd, 2021
- There's no proof COVID-19 vaccines are causing healthy athletes to collapse - PolitiFact - December 2nd, 2021
- First U.S. omicron patient was fully vaccinated and has mild Covid symptoms, officials say - CNBC - December 2nd, 2021
- New data on the link between COVID-19 vaccines and myopericarditis - Cardiovascular Business - December 2nd, 2021
- Italy approves COVID-19 vaccination for 5-11 year olds - Reuters - December 2nd, 2021
- Contributor: While Many Americans Refuse COVID-19 Vaccination, People Affected by HIV Have Been Waiting for 40 Years - AJMC.com Managed Markets... - December 2nd, 2021
- Health officials recommend getting COVID-19 vaccine and booster as they learn more about Omicron variant - whnt.com - December 2nd, 2021
- Maryland-Based Vaccine Manufacturer Developing COVID-19 Vaccine That Targets Omicron Variant - CBS Baltimore - December 2nd, 2021
- Omicron brings COVID-19 vaccine inequity home to roost - Boston.com - December 2nd, 2021
- European Union mulling mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- Hundreds of NYC correction officers to be suspended for failing to meet COVID-19 vaccination deadline - Fox News - December 2nd, 2021
- KDHE Vaccine KS | Official Website - November 29th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine Eat This Not That - November 29th, 2021
- Why Moderna refuses to share the rights for a COVID-19 vaccine developed with taxpayer funding - Milwaukee Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine Makers Assess Omicron Response - The Wall Street Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Moderna says its COVID-19 vaccine protective, safe in ... - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine and Omicron Variant: Live Updates - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Social media on the acceptance of the COVID-19 vaccine | PPA - Dove Medical Press - November 29th, 2021
- Are covid-19 vaccines effective against the omicron variant? - Quartz - November 29th, 2021
- Vaccine booster time frame to be reviewed as COVID-19 Omicron variant appears in Australia - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- Former WH advisor: Trump would already have new vaccines for Omicron - Business Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Egypt is one step away from its first national COVID-19 vaccine - Egypt Independent - November 29th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccines or Infections: Which Carries the Stronger Immunity? - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID19 Vaccine Tracker - November 27th, 2021
- COVID hit this family twice, but vaccines blunted reinfections : Shots - Health News - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- NC Marines involved in litigation over COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Jacksonville Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Union County Offers Additional Sites for Free COVID-19 Vaccines and Booster Shots this Week County of Union, New Jersey - UCNJ.org - November 27th, 2021
- Some LGBTQ+ people worry that the COVID-19 vaccine will affect HIV medication. It won't. - WFAE - November 27th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine Recipients Often Shift to Other Boosters - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccine: Antibodies more than halved after 6 months - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccines Tested in Low-Income Countries, But Distributed in Wealthy Nations - Contagionlive.com - November 27th, 2021
- WHO labels new Covid strain, named omicron, a 'variant of concern,' citing possible increased reinfection risk - CNBC - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 26 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 27th, 2021
- How one discredited 1998 study paved the way for today's anti-vaxxers - Salon - November 27th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Shame on Vail Resorts for COVID-19 vaccine mandate - Summit Daily News - November 27th, 2021
- Omicron concerns should spur millions of unvaccinated Americans to get their Covid shots, experts say - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Thanksgiving is possible this year because of Covid-19 vaccines - MSNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Could a COVID-19 vaccine patch be better than injections? - Aljazeera.com - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine clinics happening next week, Nov. 29 Dec. 4 City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - November 25th, 2021
- Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine supply catches up with demand in Indianapolis metro area - WISHTV.com - November 25th, 2021
- CDC authorizes COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for all adults ages 18 and up | Arizona Emergency information Network - az.gov - November 25th, 2021
- Poll: Majority of Thanksgiving hosts not requiring COVID-19 vaccine, masks - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- The effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines illustrated by two graphs - EL PAS in English - November 25th, 2021
- Gov. Hochul announces COVID-19 vaccine incentive aimed at outdoor enthusiasts - WKBW-TV - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, you can get the COVID-19 vaccine if you have mild cold symptoms: doctor - KRON4 - November 25th, 2021
- This Is How Many COVID-19 Vaccines Washington Has Received So Far - Patch.com - November 25th, 2021
- Governor Hochul Announces Direct Messaging Efforts to Increase COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Rates Among New Yorkers - NY.gov - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine - Southern Nevada Health District - November 23rd, 2021
- More than 90% of federal workers have had a shot by today's COVID-19 vaccine deadline - NPR - November 23rd, 2021
- Our COVID-19 Response Efforts | Johnson & Johnson - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduling Options - November 23rd, 2021
- EU says decision on J&J COVID-19 vaccine booster dose 'within weeks' - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination status and time until return to work among healthcare workers - News-Medical.net - November 23rd, 2021
- MCPS softens COVID-19 vaccination mandate to allow for weekly testing instead - BethesdaMagazine.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Plenty of COVID-19 vaccine appointments available in Triangle ahead of the holiday - CBS17.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Many men dont take good care of themselves. COVID-19 vaccine rates are the latest in a problem as old as medicine. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 23rd, 2021
- Chicago Hits Goal As 77% Of Residents 12 And Older Have Gotten 1 Shot Of COVID-19 Vaccine - Block Club Chicago - November 23rd, 2021
- New UMass Amherst/WCVB poll on children being vaccinated against COVID-19 - WCVB Boston - November 23rd, 2021
- Maui Pediatrician Discusses Safety and Efficacy of the COVID-19 Vaccine in Kids - Maui Now - November 21st, 2021
- 20 counties with the highest COVID-19 vaccination rate in California - KTLA - November 21st, 2021
- Why Moderna wont share rights to the COVID-19 vaccine with the government that paid for its development - KRQE News 13 - November 21st, 2021
- 6-year-old son of Boston Mayor Michelle Wu receives first dose of COVID-19 vaccine - WCVB Boston - November 21st, 2021
- More than half of Athens County has begun the COVID-19 vaccination process as of Nov. 20 - WOUB - November 21st, 2021
- Unvaccinated-Only Lockdowns Come to Europe - The Atlantic - November 21st, 2021