South African scientists have detected a new COVID-19 variant in small numbers and are working to understand its potential implications.
The variant called B.1.1.529 has a very unusual constellation of mutations, which are concerning because they could help it evade the bodys immune response and make it more transmissible, scientists told reporters at a news conference on Thursday.
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) said 22 positive cases of the new variant have been recorded in the country following genomic sequencing.
Unfortunately we have detected a new variant which is a reason for concern in South Africa, virologist Tulio de Oliveira told a news conference.
The variant has a very high number of mutations, he said. Its unfortunately causing a resurgence of infections, he added.
It has also been detected in Botswana and Hong Kong among travellers from South Africa, he said.
Health Minister JoePhaahla said the variant was of serious concern and behind an exponential increase in reported cases, making it a major threat.
Daily infections jumped to more than 1,200 on Wednesday, up from about 100 earlier this month.
Before the detection of the new variant, authorities had predicted a fourth wave to hitSouthAfricastarting around the middle of December, buoyed by travel ahead of the festive season.
The NICD said in a statement Thursday that detected cases and the percentage testing positive are increasing quickly in three of the countrys provinces including Gauteng, which includes Johannesburg and Pretoria.
A cluster outbreak was recently identified, concentrated at a higher education institute in the capital Pretoria, the NICD said.
Although the data are limited, our experts are working overtime with all the established surveillance systems to understand the new variant and what the potential implications could be, it said.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, South Africa has recorded about 2.95 million cases of COVID-19, of which 89,657 have been fatal.
Scientists said the new B.1.1.529 variant has at least 10 mutations, compared with two for Delta or three for Beta.
What gives us some concerns (is) that this variant might have not just have enhanced transmissibility, so spread more efficiently, but might also be able to get around parts of the immune system and the protection we have in our immune system, said researcher Richard Lessells.
So far the variant has been seen spreading especially among young people.
But the coming days and weeks will be key to determining the severity of the variant, Lessells said.
Professor Helen Rees, of the WHOs African Regional Immunization Technical Advisory Group, urged people not to panic.
[Currently] we are trying to identify how widely spread this is. There will be a lot of work looking at: Is it more transmissible? Is it associated with any more severity of disease? Does it render the vaccines less effective? Rees told Al Jazeera.
In the meantime, our big request to the world, in terms of vaccinating the African region, is please get the vaccines out into the region because as we know variants dont stay in one country, she added.
South Africa has requested an urgent sitting of a World Health Organization (WHO) working group on virus evolution on Friday to discuss thenewvariant.
Health Minister Phaahla said it was too early to say whether the government would impose tougher restrictions in response to the variant.
South Africa was the first country to detect the Betavariantlast year.
Beta is one of only four labelled of concern by the WHO because there is evidence that it is more contagious and vaccines work less well against it.
Read the rest here:
Serious concern as South Africa detects new coronavirus variant - Aljazeera.com
- New York Reports Five Omicron Cases - The New York Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Pfizer COVID pill benefited from research on SARS : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 3rd, 2021
- San Francisco Followed Covid Rules. Will Omicron Change the Playbook? - The New York Times - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 survivors have higher risk of death 12 months after infection - Medical News Today - December 3rd, 2021
- Omicron could be tougher against the COVID-19 vaccine than other variants, Rice research shows - Houston Public Media - December 3rd, 2021
- CDC director says recommendations for protection the same, 'regardless of the variant': COVID updates - USA TODAY - December 3rd, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 512 total new cases; Death toll rises to 2,357; Active cases at 7,572 - KELOLAND.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Coronavirus in Ohio Thursday update: Over 9,000 new cases - NBC4 WCMH-TV - December 3rd, 2021
- Northeast Ohio sees highest COVID hospitalization levels in the state - fox8.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Omicron and other coronavirus variants: What you need to know - Wink News - December 3rd, 2021
- Patriots again experience the disruptive power of Covid-19 - Pats Pulpit - December 3rd, 2021
- First Omicron case reported in the US: Live updates - CNN - December 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 1 December | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - December 2nd, 2021
- How worried should we be about Omicron, the new coronavirus variant? - CNN - December 2nd, 2021
- Greece imposes monthly fines of 100 euros on the over-60s who refuse a Covid vaccine - CNBC - December 2nd, 2021
- UC San Diego hustling to find Omicron variant of coronavirus to help assess threat to public health - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 29th, 2021
- Coronavirus variants: Here's what we know - CNN - November 29th, 2021
- OMICRON: Cases of new coronavirus variant are confirmed around the world - News 12 Bronx - November 29th, 2021
- South Africa informed the world of omicron. Then it was hit with travel bans : Coronavirus Updates - NPR - November 29th, 2021
- Will the Covid Vaccines Stop Omicron? Scientists Are Racing to Find Out. - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Gov. Murphy got his COVID booster shot and says you should too - nj.com - November 29th, 2021
- Stocks and oil prices drop as the world reacts to new coronavirus variant omicron - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- World is put on high alert over the Omicron coronavirus variant - CNN - November 27th, 2021
- Active coronavirus cases surge in Ulster; Dutchess reports one new death - The Daily Freeman - November 27th, 2021
- The highest COVID death rate in the world is in Peru. How did that happen? : Goats and Soda - NPR - November 27th, 2021
- Daily coronavirus data for Colorado, BVSD and the University of Colorado Boulder, reported Nov. 26, 2021 - The Daily Camera - November 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 skeptic barely survives 102 days in hospital: Oregon man thought it was all a lie - oregonlive.com - November 27th, 2021
- CPW keeping eye on research documenting coronavirus in deer - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - November 25th, 2021
- Why are coronavirus cases and hospitalizations on the rise in the US? - ABC News - November 25th, 2021
- 548 more coronavirus cases have been reported across Maine - Bangor Daily News - November 25th, 2021
- Coronavirus: NYC families will get paid time off to have kids vaccinated - silive.com - November 25th, 2021
- These 7 N.J. ZIP codes have been hit hardest by COVID - nj.com - November 25th, 2021
- Coronavirus researcher Cameron Myhrvold is using 'spectacular' new technologies to seek and destroy viral pathogens - Princeton University - November 25th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Ohio Wednesday update: Another day of more than 6,000 new cases reported - NBC4 WCMH-TV - November 25th, 2021
- How Is COVID Testing Still This Confusing? - The Atlantic - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Unvaccinated mother, 27, dies with coronavirus as her father calls for fines for people who refuse jab - Sky News - November 25th, 2021
- U.S. has already seen more COVID deaths in 2021 than 2020 before vaccines were available, as experts again warn pandemic is not over - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2021
- Active coronavirus cases in Wyoming up by 202 | Coronavirus | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- City of Fresno | Corona Virus (COVID-19) - November 23rd, 2021
- As Thanksgiving Approaches, U.S. Virus Cases Tick Upward Once More - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2021
- With coronavirus on the rise again, what will another pandemic winter look like in Oklahoma? - Oklahoman.com - November 23rd, 2021
- State's COVID-19 Positive Rate Remains Above 3% Ahead of Thanksgiving Weekend - NBC Connecticut - November 23rd, 2021
- California has one of lowest coronavirus rates in US heading into holidays, but could surge again - Stockton Record - November 23rd, 2021
- N.J. reports 1,330 COVID cases, 7 deaths. Positive tests rising ahead of Thanksgiving holiday. - nj.com - November 23rd, 2021
- UK employers step up demand for workers vaccinated against Covid - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2021
- Mesa cancer survivor nearly dies from COVID-19 breakthrough infection - Arizona's Family - November 23rd, 2021
- Clashes break out in Brussels in protests over coronavirus restrictions - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Protests have broken out across Europe in response to tightened COVID-19 restrictions - NPR - November 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus tally: Global cases of COVID-19 top 258.3 million and Germany minister offers stark warning to unvaccinated - MarketWatch - November 23rd, 2021
- Doctor shares what to do so you don't 'bring COVID to your Thanksgiving dinner' - News 5 Cleveland - November 23rd, 2021
- On This Day: COVID-19 patient zero reportedly diagnosed in China in 2019 - The Jerusalem Post - November 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus in Ohio Monday update: More than 4,300 cases reported - NBC4 WCMH-TV - November 23rd, 2021
- Could coronavirus stay on surfaces and infect you? New study - The Jerusalem Post - November 21st, 2021
- COVID live updates: All the coronavirus news you need to know - ABC News - November 21st, 2021
- Coronavirus in Oregon: 1,090 new cases, 28 deaths as feds recommend boosters for all adults - oregonlive.com - November 21st, 2021
- In South Sudan, Vaccines Are Overshadowed by Pressing Needs - The New York Times - November 21st, 2021
- Kalispell's hospital finds innovative method to fight COVID-19 - KPAX-TV - November 21st, 2021
- Coronavirus FAQ: What is long COVID? And what is my risk of getting it? - NPR - November 18th, 2021
- 'Sadly, this virus will never leave our society': Weekly new infections again surpass 600,000. COVID-19 updates - USA TODAY - November 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus spreads in deer and other animals. Scientists worry about what that means for people - CNN - November 18th, 2021
- COVID-19 Q&A: Should I invite non-vaccinated family to Thanksgiving dinner? - mlive.com - November 18th, 2021
- Netherlands Is Maxing Out Its Covid Testing Capacity - The New York Times - November 18th, 2021
- Hospitals across KELOLAND seeing increase in COVID-19 patients - KELOLAND.com - November 18th, 2021
- COVID cases are rising worldwide, is next variant on its way to Israel? - The Jerusalem Post - November 18th, 2021
- During 2021 NBA Finals, at least 12 people close to Bucks and Suns tested positive for COVID-19, per report - CBSSports.com - November 18th, 2021
- Researchers find way to filter coronavirus particles out of the air - Sky News - November 16th, 2021
- Is the COVID over? Dr. Fauci reveals the end of coronavirus is near - Deseret News - November 16th, 2021
- COVID in Georgia | COVID case, death, and hospitalization data Nov. 16 - 11Alive.com WXIA - November 16th, 2021
- U.S. COVID cases start to rise again as the holidays approach - NPR - November 16th, 2021
- Alaska reports 1,089 new coronavirus infections and two COVID-19 deaths over weekend - Anchorage Daily News - November 16th, 2021
- Why Dont We Have a Covid Vaccine for Pets? - The New York Times - November 16th, 2021
- Some Ways to Have COVID - New York Magazine - November 16th, 2021
- 'We are gravely concerned.' Henry Ford health officials warn of rising COVID hospitalizations - WXYZ - November 16th, 2021
- Treating severe COVID-19: Study assesses risks of dexamethasone - Medical News Today - November 16th, 2021
- 'We really don't know how they got it': Some Oklahoma deer have coronavirus antibodies - Oklahoman.com - November 14th, 2021
- Europe and Russia battle a new wave of COVID-19 - NPR - November 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus Today: Shifting the focus from herd immunity - Los Angeles Times - November 14th, 2021
- Broad Institute researcher wants to fade into obscurity, but first she hopes her COVID book is a bestseller - The Boston Globe - November 14th, 2021
- A farm winery in Colchester thrived during the coronavirus pandemic. But COVID-19 took its toll and the owner is selling. Asking price: $3.2 million... - November 14th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases in Aroostook County schools have surpassed last year's total - Bangor Daily News - November 14th, 2021