Sign up for The Brief, our daily newsletter that keeps readers up to speed on the most essential Texas news.
Three Democratic members of the Texas House of Representatives have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the Texas House Democratic Caucus.
The three lawmakers are among House Democrats who fled to Washington, D.C., earlier this week to stave off GOP priority voting bills during the special legislative session. The three members who tested positive all have been fully vaccinated, which helps protect against severe illness.
On Friday night, one member tested positive for the coronavirus and immediately alerted colleagues, who, in addition to staff members, took rapid tests. On Saturday morning, two additional members tested positive after taking rapid tests. The Democratic caucus did not identify the members who tested positive. The cases were first reported by the Austin American-Statesman.
In a statement, Rep. Chris Turner of Grand Prairie, the caucus chair, said the caucus is adhering to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and following protocols. According to the CDC, fully vaccinated people do not need to quarantine if they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive and they are showing no symptoms. Also, if traveling in the United States, fully vaccinated people do not need to get tested or self-quarantine before or after travel.
This is a sober reminder that COVID is still with us, and though vaccinations offer tremendous protection, we still must take necessary precautions, Turner said. We are in touch with public health experts in Texas to provide additional guidance. Our caucus will follow all recommendations from public health experts as we continue our work.
A small percentage of vaccine breakthrough cases, in which a fully vaccinated person tests positive for the coronavirus, have been expected, according to the CDC, but they are rare and do not discount the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.
The number of average coronavirus cases reported in Texas each day in the last week has increased by almost a 1,000 cases compared with the average a week ago, according to data from the Texas Department of State Health Services. Hospitalizations have also increased, and as of July 14, more than 2,500 Texans were hospitalized. On Saturday, the state hit a positivity rate of more than 10%. The positivity rate measures how prevalent the virus is in Texas based on positive test results.
The highly contagious delta variant of the coronavirus has raised the alarm of some health experts. At least three cases from a recent outbreak at a Houston-area church camp have been confirmed to be the delta variant.
In recent days, Republican lawmakers, who have criticized House Democrats move to break quorum, have urged their colleagues to return to the Capitol before the current special session ends Aug. 6. More than 51 Democrats left the state last week, leaving the House without the minimum number of lawmakers required to conduct business. However, a handful of Democrats have remained adamant that they dont plan on returning to the state any time soon.
In a statement on Saturday, House Speaker Dade Phelan wrote on Twitter that he extended his prayers for safety and health to Democratic caucus members.
Phelan, a Beaumont Republican, said on Thursday he would charter a plane this weekend to Austin to retrieve Texas Democrats from the nations capital. A move to issue a call of the house, which permits lawmakers to track down lawmakers who have fled the House chamber, passed in the House on Wednesday. However, Texas law enforcement does not have jurisdiction in Washington, D.C., so its not clear if the procedural move has any power until lawmakers return to the state.
Read the original post:
Three Texas House Democrats who traveled to Washington, D.C., test positive for coronavirus - The Texas Tribune
- Why Vaccinated People Are Getting Breakthrough Infections - The New York Times - July 24th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Illinois: 7,983 New COVID Cases, 47 Deaths, 139K Vaccinations in the Past Week - NBC Chicago - July 24th, 2021
- 31 Children Test Positive for Coronavirus at Summer Camp in NY - The New York Times - July 24th, 2021
- They Live in an N.Y.C. Virus Hot Spot. But They Wont Get Vaccinated. - The New York Times - July 24th, 2021
- Positive Coronavirus Test Halts Shakespeare in the Park for Third Night - The New York Times - July 24th, 2021
- Coronavirus Watch: Common respiratory viruses are on the rise, CDC warns - USA TODAY - July 24th, 2021
- China Has Rejected A WHO Plan For Further Investigation Into The Origins Of COVID-19 - NPR - July 24th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 July - World Economic Forum - July 24th, 2021
- CT hospitality jobs struggling to recover from the coronavirus - The CT Mirror - July 24th, 2021
- We may finally know why the delta variant of coronavirus is so infectious - Livescience.com - July 24th, 2021
- The coronavirus cuts cells hairlike cilia, which may help it invade the lungs - Science News Magazine - July 24th, 2021
- Texas veterans homes overseen by George P. Bush were often the deadliest places to be during COVID-19 pandemic - The Texas Tribune - July 24th, 2021
- Coronavirus and the global recovery: the dangers of whiplash economics - Financial Times - July 24th, 2021
- Public Health Officials Announce 7,983 New Cases of Coronavirus Disease Over the Past Week | IDPH - IDPH - July 24th, 2021
- Coronavirus infection rates in these South Shore communities are among highest in NYC - SILive.com - July 24th, 2021
- Olympics 2021 COVID-19 tracker: Everyone who has tested positive for coronavirus at the Games - CBS Sports - July 24th, 2021
- Covid-19 vaccines are effective at preventing severe disease, experts say, as rising cases threaten unvaccinated - CNN - July 24th, 2021
- Coronavirus Roundup: Concerns About the Delta Variant Rise; Administration Will 'Continue to Follow the Science' for Agency Reentry Plans -... - July 24th, 2021
- Coexisting with the Coronavirus - The New Yorker - July 22nd, 2021
- Sixth Texas Democrat in Washington, D.C., tests positive for COVID-19 - The Texas Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- What Is A Breakthrough COVID Case, And How Big Is The Risk? : Shots - Health News - NPR - July 22nd, 2021
- Coronavirus: US extends travel limits at borders with Canada and Mexico - as it happened - Financial Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Coronavirus Data for July 20, 2021 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 22nd, 2021
- 1st U.S. Athlete Set To Compete In Olympics Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Japan - NPR - July 22nd, 2021
- Death rates soar in Southeast Asia as virus wave spreads - Associated Press - July 22nd, 2021
- Scarred by Covid, Survivors and Victims Families Aim to Be a Political Force - The New York Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Two-thirds of Indians have coronavirus antibodies, survey shows - Reuters India - July 22nd, 2021
- Coco Gauff tests positive for the virus, another blow for the Tokyo Olympics. - The New York Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Cats Are Better Than Dogs (at Catching the Coronavirus) - The New York Times - July 20th, 2021
- Oregon sees 777 new coronavirus cases over the weekend, nine more COVID deaths - KATU - July 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus: Canada paves way for tourists to return starting in August - as it happened - Financial Times - July 20th, 2021
- COVID-19: Vallance corrects mistake to say 60% of people being admitted to hospital with coronavirus are unvaccinated - Sky News - July 20th, 2021
- The latest on the Covid-19 pandemic as Olympics approach: Live updates - CNN - July 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus Roundup: Smithsonian and National Archives Advance Reopenings; Court Sides with CDC on Cruises - GovExec.com - July 20th, 2021
- Despite Positive COVID-19 Results, Team USA Will Be Ready For Tokyo Olympics : Live Updates: The Tokyo Olympics - NPR - July 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus today: The weekend continued the dangerous trend; deaths top 6,000 in Arkansas - Arkansas Times - July 20th, 2021
- Factbox: Coronavirus outbreaks at the Tokyo Olympics - Reuters - July 20th, 2021
- 3 Texas Dems test positive for coronavirus while in D.C. - POLITICO - July 20th, 2021
- Fauci says natural origins theory of coronavirus is still the most likely - CNN - July 18th, 2021
- COVID by the Numbers: Coronavirus Metrics in Each of Illinois' Health Care Regions - NBC Chicago - July 18th, 2021
- Yankees Game Postponed After Positive Covid Tests - The New York Times - July 18th, 2021
- 'Bridgerton' and Coronavirus: Positive Tests Halt Production in UK - The New York Times - July 18th, 2021
- The Latest: 3 lawmakers who fled Texas over vote have virus - Associated Press - July 18th, 2021
- Germany lists Greece and the Netherlands as coronavirus risk areas -RKI - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 16 July - World Economic Forum - July 18th, 2021
- Majority of Covid misinformation came from 12 people, report finds - The Guardian - July 18th, 2021
- What to Know About the Coronavirus Beta Variant - Healthline - July 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus Data for July 15, 2021 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 18th, 2021
- Florida adds 45,604 coronavirus cases, 231 deaths in the past week - Tampa Bay Times - July 18th, 2021
- Coronavirus: Canada set to overtake US in terms of fully vaccinated population as it happened - Financial Times - July 18th, 2021
- Led Study Helps in the Fight Against the Coronavirus Pandemic - United States Geological Survey - July 15th, 2021
- Many Jobs Lost During the Coronavirus Pandemic Just Arent Coming Back - The Wall Street Journal - July 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus Today: Where are the COVID-19 treatments? - Los Angeles Times - July 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus returns to Kingston Healthcare Center, a local nursing home notorious for its handling of the pandemic - KGET 17 - July 15th, 2021
- Myanmar sees record coronavirus deaths and infections - Reuters - July 15th, 2021
- Statement on the eighth meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)... - July 15th, 2021
- Unvaccinated may require tougher tactics amid COVID-19 surge - Los Angeles Times - July 15th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 13 July - World Economic Forum - July 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: July 13, 2021 - FDA.gov - July 14th, 2021
- One mutation may have set the coronavirus up to become a global menace - Science News Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- A Woman Died Of COVID After Contracting 2 Variants At The Same Time, Researchers Say - NPR - July 14th, 2021
- What Counts as a COVID-19 Breakthrough Case? - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- Death Toll Rises to 92 in Fire That Gutted Iraq Hospital Coronavirus Ward - The New York Times - July 14th, 2021
- Summer camps hit with COVID outbreaks are schools next? - Associated Press - July 14th, 2021
- Summer Vacation Is Not Going to Keep Coronavirus at Bay. Only Jabs Will. - Bloomberg - July 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus Data for July 9-11, 2021 | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 14th, 2021
- Lambda Variant Of Covid-19 Coronavirus Is Spreading, What You Need To Know - Forbes - July 11th, 2021
- FLORIDA Florida reports rise in coronavirus cases over the past week WINK NEWS - Wink News - July 11th, 2021
- Breath-Based Coronavirus Tests Are Being Developed - The New York Times - July 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases in the Netherlands surge more than 800% in one week - BNO News - July 11th, 2021
- Halloween Haunt, Winterfest returning to Kings Island this fall after coronavirus cancellation - dayton.com - July 11th, 2021
- Americans will need masks indoors as U.S. heads for 'dangerous fall' with surge in delta Covid cases - CNBC - July 11th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 9 July - World Economic Forum - July 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus survivors: Wed like to hear your story of resilience and courage - SILive.com - July 11th, 2021
- Headache? Runny nose? These are among the new top 5 Covid symptoms, study says - CNBC - July 9th, 2021
- COVID-19 In Maryland: More Than 100 New Cases Reported Friday - CBS Baltimore - July 9th, 2021
- OC Residents and Businesses Grapple With Masks, Vaccine Verification Policies Amid Coronavirus Reopening - Voice of OC - July 9th, 2021
- Officials Tighten Restrictions In Seoul Amid Another Wave Of COVID-19 Infections - NPR - July 9th, 2021
- Coronavirus: Inbound travelers to isolate until receiving test results - The Jerusalem Post - July 9th, 2021
- The Latest: New Zealand gives tentative OK for 2nd vaccine - The Associated Press - July 7th, 2021