The body of a person who died of COVID-19 being laid for cremation on Sunday in Noida, India. Sunil Ghosh/Hindustan Times via Getty Images hide caption
The body of a person who died of COVID-19 being laid for cremation on Sunday in Noida, India.
The United States will make more medical aid available to India in an effort to fight an alarming spike in COVID-19 cases. The pledge came during a phone call between White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan and Indian national security adviser Ajit Doval on Sunday, as India has become the epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic and the country's health system is collapsing.
"Just as India sent assistance to the United States as our hospitals were strained early in the pandemic, the United States is determined to help India in its time of need," National Security Council Spokesperson Emily Horne said in a statement, which went on to say that the U.S. will allow for the export of certain raw material urgently needed for vaccine production, as well as sending test kits, ventilators and personal protective equipment, among other aid.
The U.S. had previously banned the export of raw vaccine materials, stating an obligation to take care of Americans first.
India reported nearly 350,000 new cases on Sunday, more than any country on any day since the pandemic began, the fourth day in a row the country has broken that grim world record. Many worry case numbers are woefully undercounted since test kits are hard to come by, and hospitals are completely overrun.
The sudden spike has caught the country completely off guard. In late January and early February of this year, cases were at record lows, and the Indian government declared an endgame to the pandemic. Restrictions were relaxed, travel resumed and gatherings came back.
Now cases and deaths have skyrocketed. Crematoriums are running day and night, unable to keep up with the bodies. There are desperate pleas for oxygen, hospital beds and medicine.
Oxygen is by far the biggest need in the country right now. Hospitals are trying to ration oxygen for the patients who are able to secure a hospital bed, which is difficult in itself. Hundreds, possibly thousands, die each day with doctors unable to help.
One longtime journalist who couldn't get treatment live-tweeted his declining oxygen levels until he died.
"I have never felt so desperate or helpless," Dr. Trupti Gilada said in a Facebook video she recorded of herself, weeping as she huddled in her car outside the Mumbai hospital where she works. "We are seeing young people. We have a 35-year-old who's on a ventilator. Please pray for our patients."
Sunday's pledge also said that the United States was urgently "pursuing options to provide oxygen generation," and would be deploying a team of public health advisers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Agency for International Development to work with health officials in India and at the U.S. Embassy.
Lauren Frayer contributed reporting from Mumbai.
U.S. Pledges Medical Aid To India, Where COVID-19 Is Overwhelming Hospitals - NPR
- Dysregulation of brain and choroid plexus cell types in severe COVID-19 - Nature.com - June 21st, 2021
- Theravance Stock Drops on Covid-19 Therapy Disappointment - Barron's - June 21st, 2021
- US extends Covid-19 travel restrictions with Canada and Mexico - CNN - June 21st, 2021
- One Method to Contain COVID-19 at Nursing Homes - Infection Control Today - June 21st, 2021
- COVID-19 Detection Kits Market revenue to cross USD 8 Bn by 2027 - GlobeNewswire - June 21st, 2021
- Cuba encouraged by early efficacy results of homegrown COVID-19 vaccine - Reuters - June 21st, 2021
- Children not yet vaccinated against COVID-19? What to do - Harvard Health - June 21st, 2021
- Curative and Basketball Hall of Fame hold COVID-19 clinic with free tickets to the Hall - WWLP.com - June 21st, 2021
- Salon workers are holding on to their masks, and not just because of Covid-19 - Vox.com - June 21st, 2021
- India Official Warns of Early Third Covid-19 Wave, Times Reports - Bloomberg - June 21st, 2021
- COVID-19 Response | Housing and Community Development ... - June 19th, 2021
- Dallas County adds 2 COVID-19 deaths, 102 cases; Jenkins says week was one of least deadly of last year - The Dallas Morning News - June 19th, 2021
- Thailand Once Shut Out Covid-19 but Is Now Pivoting to Living With It - The Wall Street Journal - June 19th, 2021
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order Expediting Cal/OSHA's Revised COVID-19 Regulations to Ensure Consistency with Public Health Guidance |... - June 19th, 2021
- Michigan to roll back remaining major COVID-19 restrictions June 22, ahead of schedule - Detroit Free Press - June 19th, 2021
- Bengals' Joe Mixon rips NFLPA over updated COVID-19 protocols - Bengals Wire - June 19th, 2021
- Lynn County sheriff who died of COVID-19 can now receive line of duty death benefits - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - June 19th, 2021
- What its like traveling to the Cancun area during a COVID-19 spike - The Points Guy - June 19th, 2021
- People hospitalized with COVID-19 now have one overwhelming thing in common. They're not vaccinated. - USA TODAY - June 19th, 2021
- Vaccination, previous infection, protect against COVID-19 gamma/P.1 variant in animal model - University of Wisconsin-Madison - June 19th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-17-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 17th, 2021
- Denmark to immunize 12-15 year-olds against COVID-19 ahead of winter - Reuters - June 17th, 2021
- Tracking COVID-19 in Alaska: 42 new infections and no deaths reported Wednesday - Anchorage Daily News - June 17th, 2021
- Monoclonal antibodies cut risk of dying from COVID-19but only in some patients - Science Magazine - June 17th, 2021
- Missouri sees surge in COVID-19 cases, with nearly 7% classified as the Delta variant - KOMU 8 - June 17th, 2021
- Struggling Hospitals Could Explain Why So Many Black Patients Have Died Of COVID-19 - BuzzFeed News - June 17th, 2021
- NFL preseason COVID-19 restrictions to remain severe for unvaccinated, nearly all lifted for fully vaccinated - ESPN - June 17th, 2021
- Only one new case of COVID-19 reported in county - Evening Observer - June 17th, 2021
- USF researchers release findings from statewide COVID-19 opinion survey regarding vaccine hesitancy and policy - University of South Florida - June 17th, 2021
- Governor Cuomo Announces COVID-19 Restrictions Lifted as 70% of Adult New Yorkers Have Received First Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine - Governor.NY.gov - June 16th, 2021
- Sialkot, Punjab, Pakistan Coronavirus Information - Safety ... - June 16th, 2021
- Texas A&M Joins Hundreds Of Colleges In White House COVID-19 Vaccine Challenge - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - June 16th, 2021
- Nigeria to reopen vaccination for first COVID-19 shots - Reuters - June 16th, 2021
- Policy and institutional responses to COVID-19: South Korea - Brookings Institution - June 16th, 2021
- Alarm rises in India over COVID-19 risks as crowds return to malls and rail stations - Reuters - June 16th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-15-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 16th, 2021
- Congo caps public gatherings as third COVID-19 wave builds - Reuters - June 16th, 2021
- Teofimo Lopez tests positive for COVID-19, bout vs. George Kambosos moved to Aug. 14 - ESPN - June 16th, 2021
- Expanding our understanding of post COVID-19 condition: Webinar 2 15 June 2021 13:00 - World Health Organization - June 16th, 2021
- OSDH: 1,150 active cases of COVID-19 in Oklahoma - KFOR Oklahoma City - June 16th, 2021
- More than 600K Rhode Islanders now fully vaccinated against COVID-19 - WPRI.com - June 16th, 2021
- Disparities in Reaching COVID-19 Vaccination Benchmarks: Projected Vaccination Rates by Race/Ethnicity as of July 4 - Kaiser Family Foundation - June 16th, 2021
- 'We've got to carry on the legacy': Franklin family grieves father, husband lost to COVID-19 - The Tennessean - June 13th, 2021
- Lab Leaks And Covid-19: Why The Lab Leak Hypothesis Doesnt Mean The Virus Was Engineered - Forbes - June 13th, 2021
- India cuts taxes on medicines and equipment to treat COVID-19 - Reuters India - June 13th, 2021
- Two thirds of eligible people in Dubai fully vaccinated against COVID-19 - Reuters - June 13th, 2021
- Mixing COVID-19 vaccines appears to boost immune responses - Science Magazine - June 13th, 2021
- Cleveland Clinic-led Study Identifies How COVID-19 Linked to Alzheimers Disease-like Cognitive Impairment - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - June 13th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-11-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 13th, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Symptoms, Treatment & More - June 11th, 2021
- Moments You Missed As The G-7 Leaders Meet For The 1st Time Since COVID-19 - NPR - June 11th, 2021
- Delta variant of COVID-19 is by far the most contagious we ... - June 11th, 2021
- Could the South face another Covid-19 surge? - The Daily Briefing - June 11th, 2021
- Gov. Brown to address Oregons COVID-19 response, path to reopening - OPB News - June 11th, 2021
- Here Are The Biggest Groups That Are Still Refusing The Covid-19 Vaccine, Poll Finds - Forbes - June 11th, 2021
- Sporting and Unified Government to offer COVID-19 vaccines at Saturday's home match - Sporting Kansas City - June 11th, 2021
- Gov. Wolf Signs Bills Extending COVID-19 Emergency Regulation Suspensions, Expanding Family Caregiver Supports - pa.gov - June 11th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-10-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 11th, 2021
- Update on COVID-19 policies, Health Check and events - COVID-19 - Stanford Health Alerts - June 11th, 2021
- Summer camps reopen with fewer campers, counselors from COVID-19 restrictions and staff shortages - MarketWatch - June 11th, 2021
- CDC says fully vaccinated people don't have to wear masks in open-air areas of public transit or at outdoor sections of hubs - CNN - June 11th, 2021
- Social Security Weathered Covid-19 Better Than Expected, but Long-Term Challenges Remain - The Wall Street Journal - June 11th, 2021
- On the Record with Dr. Erica Pan: Protecting Our Kids with COVID-19 Vaccines | California Governor - Office of Governor Gavin Newsom - June 11th, 2021
- Mobile COVID-19 vaccination locations announced in Virginia Beach, Norfolk and on the Eastern Shore - WAVY.com - June 11th, 2021
- Japanese scientists warn that Tokyo Olympics could help spread COVID-19 - Science Magazine - June 11th, 2021
- Montez Sweat 'not a fan' of COVID-19 vaccine despite Washington Football Team bringing in expert to address players - ESPN - June 11th, 2021
- Singapore's death toll from COVID-19 tops casualties in SARS outbreak - Reuters - June 9th, 2021
- Biden pushes COVID-19 vaccine incentives to get rates past ... - June 9th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-8-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 9th, 2021
- Doctor reminding people that COVID-19 is still out there; looking to start testing centers in Hampton Roads - WAVY.com - June 9th, 2021
- COVID-19: Healthy Kids | Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - June 9th, 2021
- How employers can turn the tide of COVID-19 vaccinations - Daily Herald - June 9th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: The US investigation into COVID-19 origins - The Associated Press - June 9th, 2021
- UN urges action to end AIDS, saying COVID-19 hurt progress - WBOY.com - June 9th, 2021
- Governor Cuomo Announces Most Remaining COVID-19 Restrictions to Be Lifted When 70% of Adult New Yorkers Have Received First Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine... - June 9th, 2021
- COVID-19: Lockdowns linked to increased screen time and sleep problems - Medical News Today - June 9th, 2021
- Most COVID-19 restrictions will vanish June 15 but not everywhere in LA County - LA Daily News - June 9th, 2021
- Rush to vaccinate against COVID-19 brings more opportunities and incentives - KGW.com - June 9th, 2021
- Princeton will require employees to receive COVID-19 vaccine; updates public health policies for summer and fall - Princeton University - June 9th, 2021
- Women falling behind in India's COVID-19 vaccination drive - Reuters India - June 9th, 2021