The corporate logo of the UnitedHealth Group appears on the side of one of their office buildings in Santa Ana, California, U.S., April 13, 2020. REUTERS/Mike Blake
Oct 14 (Reuters) - UnitedHealth Group Inc (UNH.N) said it expected COVID-19 to have a smaller impact on its profit next year as infections decline and more people get vaccinated, sparking a rally in the shares of U.S. health insurers.
The company, the largest U.S. health insurer, on Thursday also put to rest concerns of an impact from the Delta variant in 2021 by raising its profit outlook.
A surge in infections in July and August caused by the more infectious variant had increased hospital costs, but cases have declined since then.
Chief Financial Officer John Rex said current market estimates were "beginning to calibrate" the company's 2022 outlook. Analysts expect UnitedHealth to post adjusted earnings per share of $21.60, according to Refinitiv data.
"Investors were waiting to get that visibility into the company's framework around 2022 and clearly the company provided a confident initial outlook for next year," Stephens analyst Scott Fidel said.
While not every health insurer has had the same momentum as UnitedHealth, its comments bode well for the rest of the sector, he added.
UnitedHealth shares surged 6%, while rivals Humana Inc (HUM.N), Cigna Corp (CI.N) and Centene Corp (CNC.N) were between 2% and 3% higher.
UnitedHealth said it expected 2021 adjusted earnings per share between $18.65 and $18.90, compared with $18.30 to $18.80 previously. It maintained its forecast for a COVID-related hit at $1.80 per share.
The insurer said the profit outlook accounted for a possible surge in high-cost procedures that had been delayed during the Delta surge and were slowly returning to normal levels.
The postponement of the procedures helped it beat earnings expectations for the quarter ended Sept. 30.
The company reiterated its long-term earnings per share growth outlook of 13% to 16%.
Reporting by Manojna Maddipatla in Bengaluru; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila and Aditya Soni
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Read the original post:
UnitedHealth expects smaller hit from COVID-19 in 2022 - Reuters
- Alabama coronavirus cases and deaths | USAFacts - November 29th, 2021
- Omicron variant could fuel global surge with 'severe consequences,' WHO warns: COVID-19 updates - USA TODAY - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Hospital Capacity of NOLAND HOSPITAL TUSCALOOSA ... - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 29 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 29th, 2021
- The Omicron variant: What it is, and how California is handling COVID-19 right now - Los Angeles Times - November 29th, 2021
- What We Know and Don't About the Omicron COVID-19 Variant - Wheeling Intelligencer - November 29th, 2021
- 'This is stressful': More than 100 Arizona classrooms quarantine over COVID-19 in 12 districts - AZCentral.com - November 29th, 2021
- Nearly 200 new COVID-19 cases reported on Cape and Islands - Cape Cod Times - November 29th, 2021
- Severe COVID-19: 1 in 100 patients may have brain complications - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2021
- Parts of northern China tighten curbs on new COVID-19 flare-ups - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Britain to offer everyone a COVID-19 booster eventually - vaccine official - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Sixers' Joel Embiid on bout with COVID-19: 'I really thought I wasn't going to make it' - CBSSports.com - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 to have ripple effect on multiple Cowboys coaches for Week 13 - Cowboys Wire - November 29th, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo uses old briefing to tell New Yorkers to take COVID precautions - New York Post - November 29th, 2021
- Cowboys starting RT Terence Steele, several assistant coaches out against Saints due to COVID-19 outbreak - ESPN - November 29th, 2021
- Wall St Week Ahead COVID-19 fears reappear as a threat to market - Reuters - November 29th, 2021
- Children and teens lead surge in COVID-19 cases - Press Herald - November 29th, 2021
- SU to expand size of COVID-19 randomized testing groups - The Daily Orange - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 11-29-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - November 29th, 2021
- COVID-19: Vitamin D may be able to 'switch off' lung inflammation - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- 'This has been some trying times:' Diego Sanchez in hospital with serious case of COVID-19 - USA TODAY - November 27th, 2021
- Swiss to vote on ending COVID-19 restrictions - New York Post - November 27th, 2021
- Mercks Covid-19 Pill Was 30% Effective in Final Analysis, Company Says - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- Covid-19 Variant Upends Investor Bets on Rate Increases - The Wall Street Journal - November 27th, 2021
- 7 "Least Safe States" During COVID-19, Says New Study Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 25th, 2021
- Several infected after convention touting ivermectin; some hospitals overwhelmed ahead of Thanksgiving holiday: Latest COVID-19 updates - USA TODAY - November 25th, 2021
- Texas COVID-19 hospitalizations are low but experts still advise caution - The Texas Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 24 November | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 25th, 2021
- Thanksgiving arrives and, yes, COVID-19 is still hanging around - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Maryland Department Of Health Pauses Release Of COVID-19 Data For Thanksgiving Holiday - CBS Baltimore - November 25th, 2021
- Interim statement on COVID-19 vaccination for children and adolescents - World Health Organization - November 25th, 2021
- Bars, restaurants navigating COVID-19 spike on busiest night of year - WOODTV.com - November 25th, 2021
- Family battles over COVID-19 vaccine mandates on the menu in NYC this Thanksgiving (opinion) - silive.com - November 25th, 2021
- Slovaks lock down to slow world's highest COVID-19 infection rate - Reuters - November 25th, 2021
- Utah hospitals 'bursting at the seams' with COVID-19 patients ahead of holiday gatherings, expert says - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- 12 residents of St. Joseph's shelter test positive for COVID-19. Most are vaccinated and asymptomatic - Berkshire Eagle - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19 threatens to knock away Germany's last pillar of growth - Reuters - November 25th, 2021
- County Consolidates COVID-19 Testing, Vaccines, Boosters, and Antibody Treatment into One Site - Hillsborough County - November 25th, 2021
- Starting Nov. 23, Public Health offers walk-in COVID-19 vaccines & boosters every weekday City and Borough of Juneau - City and Borough of Juneau - November 23rd, 2021
- State reports 11 new COVID-19 cases for Juneau for Nov. 20-22 - City and Borough of Juneau - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19: Top news stories about the coronavirus pandemic on 23 November - World Economic Forum - November 23rd, 2021
- 90% of U.S. federal employees have received at least one COVID-19 dose -White House - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Erie hospital's COVID-19 units: A closer look at the battle to beat the virus - GoErie.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Michigan hospitals sound alarm over near-record COVID-19 hospitalizations - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus updates: 6 people die of COVID-19, 75 fatalities in November - Redding Record Searchlight - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 in pregnancy linked to stillbirths, research finds - myfox8.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Alaska reports 750 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths over the weekend - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases among kids up in Wisconsin, as the state is averaging more than 3,000 cases a day - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - November 23rd, 2021
- Austrias Return to Covid-19 Lockdown Is Met With Anger, Resignation - The Wall Street Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Beshear outlines COVID-19 recommendations for Thanksgiving | News - Huntington Herald Dispatch - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 testing and vaccination schedule for Thanksgiving week - City of Fort Worth - November 23rd, 2021
- As Thanksgiving nears, Covid-19 numbers in Onondaga County are as bad as last winter - syracuse.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Hospitals in Idaho still in crisis of care, but COVID-19 cases trending down - The Spokesman-Review - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases again on the rise in Kentucky. Are we seeing the start of a winter surge? - Courier Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Nearly all University of Tennessee student employees are required to get COVID-19 vaccines - Knoxville News Sentinel - November 23rd, 2021
- Californias COVID-19 case rate is among nations lowest, but threat remains into holidays - KTLA - November 23rd, 2021
- A New Part of Thanksgiving Dinner: Bring Your Negative Covid-19 Test - The Wall Street Journal - November 23rd, 2021
- Wyomings active confirmed COVID-19 case count drops by 208 to 1,290 on Monday - Oil City News - November 23rd, 2021
- Study Shows Better COVID-19 Outcomes Among Vaccinated People with Rheumatic Diseases, Lupus - Lupus Foundation of America - November 23rd, 2021
- Plastic waste release caused by COVID-19 and its fate in the global ocean - pnas.org - November 23rd, 2021
- Daily coronavirus updates: COVID-19 cases now rising ... - November 21st, 2021
- 3 deaths and 850 new COVID-19 cases reported across the state - Bangor Daily News - November 21st, 2021
- Will Thanksgiving fuel a new COVID-19 surge in Oregon? Heres how to have a safer gathering amid rising U.S. - oregonlive.com - November 21st, 2021
- COVID-19 In Maryland: More Than 1K New Cases & 9 Deaths Reported Saturday - CBS Baltimore - November 21st, 2021
- The First Wave Shows What We Haven't Seen of Covid-19 - The Intercept - November 21st, 2021
- Islanders missing several players to COVID-19 protocol ahead of new arena opener - The Athletic - November 21st, 2021
- Ski resorts in northern Italy reopen amid COVID-19 worries - Reuters - November 21st, 2021
- Sixers Matisse Thybulle will return from COVID-19 for Saturdays game against the Blazers - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 21st, 2021
- Research links COVID-19 in pregnancy with stillbirths - Portland Press Herald - pressherald.com - November 21st, 2021
- Wigan Athletic vs Oxford United postponed due to COVID-19 outbreak - The Athletic - November 21st, 2021
- Experts predict an alarming surge of US COVID-19 cases this winter | TheHill - The Hill - November 18th, 2021
- Two more Onondaga County residents die of Covid-19, including a woman in her 20s - syracuse.com - November 18th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 486 total new cases; Death toll at 2,303; Active cases at 6,775 - KELOLAND.com - November 18th, 2021
- Dutch weigh options to slow rising COVID-19 infections among children - Reuters - November 18th, 2021
- Active COVID-19 cases continue to rise on Thursday - WBOY.com - November 18th, 2021
- NFL to intensify COVID-19 protocols around Thanksgiving holiday - ESPN - November 18th, 2021
- Maine reports 933 new cases of COVID-19, boosters expanded to everyone 18 and older - Press Herald - November 18th, 2021
- Three Unknowns Will Define COVID-19 This Winter - The Atlantic - November 18th, 2021
- COVID-19 is worst in persistently poor rural counties - Successful Farming - November 18th, 2021
- How Detroit Red Wings must right themselves amid COVID-19 scare - Detroit Free Press - November 18th, 2021