(Reuters) -Heres what you need to know about the coronavirus right now:
FILE PHOTO: A band performs while crowds of people walk as coronavirus disease (COVID-19) restrictions are eased in Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S., April 4, 2021. REUTERS/Emily Elconin
Brazil deaths on track to pass worst of U.S. wave
Brazils brutal surge in COVID-19 deaths will soon surpass the worst of a record January wave in the United States, scientists forecast, with fatalities climbing for the first time above 4,000 in a day on Tuesday as the outbreak overwhelms hospitals.
Brazils overall death toll trails only the U.S. outbreak, with nearly 337,000 killed, according to Health Ministry data, compared with more than 555,000 dead in the United States.
But with Brazils healthcare system at the breaking point, the country could exceed total U.S. deaths, despite having a population two-thirds that of the United States, two experts told Reuters.
India posts record cases
Indias second wave of infections continued to swell as it reported a record 115,736 new cases on Wednesday, a 13-fold increase in just over two months.
The federal government has asked states to decide on local curbs to control the spread of the virus, but has so far refused to impose any national lockdown after the last one in 2020 devastated its economy.
The total number of cases since the first recorded infection in India just over a year ago now stands at 12.8 million, making it the third worst hit country after the United States and Brazil.
Japans Osaka cancels Olympic torch run
Japans western region of Osaka on Wednesday cancelled Olympic torch events scheduled across the prefecture, as record infections prompted its government to declare a medical emergency.
Health authorities fear a virus variant is unleashing a fourth wave of infections just 107 days before the Tokyo Olympics begin, with a vaccination drive still at an early stage.
The prefecture reported 878 new infections on Wednesday, a second-straight day of record numbers. Severe cases have filled about 70% of hospital beds in the region.
UK begins rollout of Moderna vaccine
Britain begins rolling out Modernas COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday in Wales and expects to be using it in the rest of the United Kingdom in the coming days in a boost to the countrys health system after supplies of shots started to slow.
Moderna will become the third vaccine to be used in Britain after the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer jabs and comes as the supply of shots from Astra starts to slow due to manufacturing issues including at a site in India.
The United Kingdom has vaccinated 31.6 million people with a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine - and administered 5.5 million second doses. It will soon have vaccinated half of its total population.
A third of survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders
One in three COVID-19 survivors in a study of more than 230,000 mostly American patients were diagnosed with a brain or psychiatric disorder within six months, suggesting the pandemic could lead to a wave of mental and neurological problems, scientists said on Tuesday.
Researchers who conducted the analysis said it was not clear how the virus was linked to psychiatric conditions such as anxiety and depression, but that these were the most common diagnoses among the 14 disorders they looked at.
Post-COVID cases of stroke, dementia and other neurological disorders were rarer, the researchers said, but were still significant.
Reporting by Linda Noakes, Editing by William Maclean
See the rest here:
What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Reuters
- Sputnik V, a host of coronavirus mutations and a rocket stack - Nature.com - April 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 14, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 14th, 2021
- COVID-19 patients with sedentary habits more likely to die, finds study - The Hindu - April 14th, 2021
- 2 more Mainers die and another 571 coronavirus cases are reported across the state - Bangor Daily News - April 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccination required to attend Buffalo Bills games, officials say - WFLA - April 14th, 2021
- Six new coronavirus cases reported on Nantucket Wednesday - The Inquirer and Mirror - April 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus tally: Global cases of COVID-19 top 136.7 million and U.S. death tally heads toward 563,000 - MarketWatch - April 14th, 2021
- UJAR 2021: The impact of coronavirus on universal jurisdiction - FIDH - FIDH - April 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 10, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 12th, 2021
- Pa. announces all adults will be eligible for a vaccine on Tuesday; Philly faces steep drop in Johnson & Johns - The Philadelphia Inquirer - April 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus hospitalizations plunge among Ohios most vaccinated age groups - cleveland.com - April 12th, 2021
- India's daily virus infections are world's highest but crowds gather for festival - Reuters - April 12th, 2021
- Tweaked COVID vaccines in testing aim to fend off variants - WKBN.com - April 12th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 187 total new cases; One new death; Active cases at 2,425 - KELOLAND.com - April 12th, 2021
- Madison Township bar accused of coronavirus health order violation - News-Herald.com - April 12th, 2021
- More than 2 million COVID-19 shots given in Alabama - FOX10 News - April 12th, 2021
- One new coronavirus case reported on Nantucket Sunday - The Inquirer and Mirror - April 12th, 2021
- Mens curling world championship playoffs on hold due to coronavirus - Home of the Olympic Channel - April 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Oregon: 761 new cases reported in highest daily count since February - OregonLive - April 11th, 2021
- Health experts give safety advice to all Missourians about receiving the coronavirus vaccine - ABC17NEWS - ABC17News.com - April 11th, 2021
- Teenagers and the coronavirus vaccine: What parents are asking - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- NSU Spartans respond to two public health threats: racism and the coronavirus - WAVY.com - April 11th, 2021
- VERIFY: Are you better off if you get COVID-19 now versus a year ago? - KING5.com - April 11th, 2021
- City-County Health moving COVID-19 vaccinations to new location - Wyoming Tribune - April 11th, 2021
- Active cases of coronavirus rise in Ulster and Dutchess counties; Dutchess offers free rides to vaccination sites - The Daily Freeman - April 11th, 2021
- With California set to fully reopen by June 15, experts say its unlikely another coronavirus surge will overwhelm hospitals - KTLA Los Angeles - April 11th, 2021
- Hawaii DOH investigating 2 sports teams halted due to coronavirus - KHON2 - April 9th, 2021
- Ohio coronavirus case rate increases to highest point in a month; 52 counties on red alert - cleveland.com - April 9th, 2021
- Nearly half of new coronavirus infections nationwide are in just five states - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - April 9th, 2021
- Coronavirus or allergies? Heres how to tell the difference. - SILive.com - April 9th, 2021
- After coronavirus pause, UND football returns to practice in hopes of making a playoff run - Grand Forks Herald - April 9th, 2021
- Virus Variants Threaten to Draw Out the Pandemic, Scientists Say - The New York Times - April 9th, 2021
- What Washington parents should know about COVID-19 vaccines for 16- and 17-year-olds - KING5.com - April 9th, 2021
- The American Rescue Plan: Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds - AAF - American Action Forum - April 9th, 2021
- Coronavirus tally: Global cases of COVID-19 top 132.5 million and U.S. death toll above 556,000 - MarketWatch - April 7th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 6 April - World Economic Forum - April 7th, 2021
- More transmissible coronavirus variants on the rise in Pa. and N.J., as case counts keep going up - The Philadelphia Inquirer - April 7th, 2021
- COVID-19 update: Active coronavirus cases grow within Humble ISD this week - Houston Chronicle - April 7th, 2021
- Jon Husted to meet with Asian American neighbors over coronavirus tweet: Overnight News Links - cleveland.com - April 7th, 2021
- Coronavirus: L.A. County surpasses 5 million vaccinations with 406 new cases and 23 new deaths reported as of April 6 - The Daily Breeze - April 7th, 2021
- Middle East And Africa Struggle To Shake Off Economic Effects Of Coronavirus Pandemic - Forbes - April 7th, 2021
- We still dont know the origins of the coronavirus. Here are 4 scenarios. - National Geographic - April 7th, 2021
- Brazil's COVID-19 death surge set to pass the worst of record U.S. wave - Reuters - April 7th, 2021
- How Vaccine Hesitancy Could Prolong the Pandemic - Healthline - April 7th, 2021
- 45 Pa. counties have substantial spread of COVID-19; positive test rate rises for third week in a row - PennLive - April 7th, 2021
- Trudeau says Canada is facing 'very serious' third wave of COVID-19 pandemic - The Union Leader - April 7th, 2021
- 293 infected in new coronavirus outbreaks at 75 schools, says Michigans April 4 school outbreak report - MLive.com - April 7th, 2021
- Will fourth wave of COVID-19 in East spread to California? - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 3, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 5th, 2021
- These are the latest COVID numbers in Georgia for April 4, 2021 - 11Alive.com WXIA - April 5th, 2021
- How Long Does Immunity from COVID-19 Vaccination Last? - Healthline - April 5th, 2021
- Brazils coronavirus nightmare: Bolsonaro is more isolated than ever - Financial Times - April 5th, 2021
- Two new coronavirus cases reported on Nantucket Sunday - The Inquirer and Mirror - April 5th, 2021
- Russia Claims to Be the First Country to Develop Coronavirus Shots for Animals - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus Tennessee: Cases, deaths and hospitalizations across the state in April - WATE 6 On Your Side - April 5th, 2021
- Analysis-In mutant variants, has the coronavirus shown its best tricks? - Reuters - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases are up in Ohio and reopening is in jeopardy - Mahoning Matters - April 5th, 2021
- Pennsylvania will study the impact of COVID on learning and teaching - The Mercury - April 5th, 2021
- Fauci Expects Surge In Vaccinations To Keep A 4th Coronavirus Wave At Bay - NPR - April 3rd, 2021
- Hawaii to receive $32M in federal aid to support coronavirus vaccinations - KHON2 - April 3rd, 2021
- Rick Carlisle cleared to rejoin Mavericks after coronavirus scare - The Official Home - Mavs.com - April 3rd, 2021
- These are the latest COVID numbers in Georgia for April 1, 2021 - 11Alive.com WXIA - April 3rd, 2021
- Undetected Coronavirus Variant Was in at Least 15 Countries Before its Discovery - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - April 3rd, 2021
- India great Sachin Tendulkar admitted to hospital with coronavirus - The Guardian - April 3rd, 2021
- Coronavirus in Minnesota: 12 more deaths; hospitalizations on the rise - MinnPost - April 3rd, 2021
- 14-year-old Milwaukee boy dies of coronavirus complications - WXOW.com - April 3rd, 2021
- Moderna and Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines may block infection as well as disease - Science News Magazine - April 3rd, 2021
- Reopening last summer may have led to 45 coronavirus deaths a Scripps study shows - CBS News 8 - April 3rd, 2021
- Here's a list of the latest COVID data for Georgia: April 2, 2021 - 11Alive.com WXIA - April 3rd, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Continues to Advance Over-the Counter and Other Screening Test Development - FDA.gov - April 1st, 2021
- Coronavirus tally: Global cases of COVID-19 near 129 million and U.S. death toll tops 552,000 - MarketWatch - April 1st, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 1, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 1st, 2021
- India Reports Its Highest Daily Number Of COVID-19 Deaths So Far This Year - NPR - April 1st, 2021
- Can I still spread the coronavirus after I'm vaccinated? - WBNG-TV - April 1st, 2021
- COVID-19 Confirmed As 3rd Leading Cause Of Death In US Last Year : Coronavirus Updates - NPR - April 1st, 2021
- Region may be experiencing third wave of coronavirus infections | INFORUM - INFORUM - April 1st, 2021
- Wednesday's coronavirus updates: 'We have the B117 variant in our community. It is more infectious, and it is causing more serious illness in younger... - April 1st, 2021
- UK COVID variant is now the predominant strain in many parts of the country | Connect the Dots - KHOU.com - April 1st, 2021
- Coronavirus surge could be worse than the last for the Americas: PAHO - Reuters - April 1st, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis to get COVID-19 vaccine this week - WFLA - April 1st, 2021