Where can I get the J&J vaccine in our region?
States and cities in our region received their first shipments at the end of last week. Delaware has received 8,000 doses. Pennsylvania has received 94,000 doses, and pharmacies in the state were allocated another 30,000. Philadelphia, which receives its own allocation, has received 13,000 doses. New Jersey has received about 75,000 doses.
The states do not expect another shipment for at least three weeks.
Delaware operated mass vaccination sites over the weekend in Delaware City and Seaford for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Five thousand doses were earmarked for people over 65 who were already on the states vaccine waiting list. Wilmington Veterans Affairs Medical Center also began administering it over the weekend. Supply of this vaccine is currently limited, and its not known how the federal government will allocate it to the state, pharmacies, and other providers.
Philadelphia will allocate the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to hospitals and community providers that can administer it to hard-to-reach populations. Pennsylvania school districts are working with the National Guard to set up vaccination sites for teachers and staff.
In New Jersey, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be distributed to places such as Acme, ShopRite, and Wegmans supermarket pharmacies, as well as independent pharmacies in the most vulnerable communities. Hospitals will use the vaccine in emergency rooms, which often see vulnerable populations.
Wherry, from the University of Pennsylvania, said members of the public should not get too caught up with registering for one particular vaccine, and should accept whatever they can get.
Its much more important to get vaccinated than pick your type of vaccine based on something youve heard, he said. Right now, the scientific data is that all three of these vaccines are excellent, they will all protect you from the most severe consequences from disease, from being hospitalized, they will likely all prevent you from spreading disease and allow you to get back to more normal activities sooner.
Will authorization of the J&J vaccine help speed up the process?
Officials say theyre hopeful the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will speed up the process because it requires only one dose. The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it anticipated there would be enough vaccines for all adults in the United States by the end of May as opposed to the end of July, the previous forecast.
The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines require two doses, which can take about six weeks to complete. In addition, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine has simpler storage requirements, which means it can be distributed to much wider geographic locations.
A single dose also could mean a much simpler distribution process, because providers dont have to worry about follow-up and tracking patients, or run the risk of giving someones second dose to the wrong person.
What about side effects?
Side effects are slightly milder and less commonly reported than with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. The most common side effects are fever and fatigue.
I think its important to distinguish side effects from adverse events. Adverse events are things a drug causes that are unintended and are usually detrimental. The adverse-event profile of all these vaccines is excellent. Its very infrequent that someone has an allergic reaction to Pfizer and Moderna, Wherry said. He stressed that these vaccines are, in fact, designed to produce side effects.
The side effects that were seeing with the vaccination are a reflection of your immune response working. It doesnt necessarily mean stronger side effects are giving you better protection from disease. But it does tell you that your immune response is engaged and is starting to do something in response to the vaccination.
Wherry added that when you have chills and a fever for 24 hours, its not pleasant, but it is a sign your immune response is responding to the vaccine and an indicator that youre generating lasting antibodies that will protect you in the future.
See the rest here:
What you need to know about the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine - WHYY
- Coronavirus news live: Latest as lockdown easing sees shops and pubs crowded - The Independent - April 12th, 2021
- Covid UK: coronavirus cases, deaths and vaccinations today - The Guardian - April 12th, 2021
- Asia Today: India records another surge in COVID-19 cases - The Associated Press - April 12th, 2021
- The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine Is Less Effective Against The South African And UK Variants Than Against The Original Virus, According To A New... - April 12th, 2021
- How Long Should You Wait To Get the Vaccine After Having COVID-19? - ideastream - April 9th, 2021
- What you should (and shouldn't) do with your vaccination card - KING5.com - April 9th, 2021
- UC Davis Health opening vaccinations up to anyone 16 and older | COVID-19 Updates in Northern California - ABC10.com KXTV - April 7th, 2021
- Can Vaccinated People Spread the Virus? - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany to restrict AstraZeneca use in under-60s over clots - The Associated Press - April 5th, 2021
- The COVID-19 vaccine side effects you can expect based on your age, sex, and dose - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Covid-19: Johnson & Johnson Put in Charge of Plant That Ruined Millions of Vaccine Doses - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany restricts use of AstraZeneca vaccine to over 60s in most cases - DW (English) - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccines with a side of fried fish are on the Good Friday menu in Central City - NOLA.com - April 3rd, 2021
- Explained: Making sense of Indias Covid-19 data - The Indian Express - April 3rd, 2021
- 35 Pa. counties have substantial spread of COVID-19; positive test rate rises for second week in a row - PennLive - March 30th, 2021
- Covid-19 News: In-Person School Attendance Inches Up but Roadblocks Remain - The New York Times - March 30th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases surging in Pa. and N.J. as variants spread; Biden sets goal of 200 million vaccinations by end - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 28th, 2021
- Why Supply Isnt the Only Thing Stymying Europes Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout - The New York Times - March 26th, 2021
- All Georgia adults will be eligible for coronavirus vaccines starting Thursday - Atlanta Journal Constitution - March 26th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine (COVID-19 Immunization Updates) | CVS Pharmacy - March 24th, 2021
- Mavericks won't require their players to get the coronavirus vaccine - The Official Home of the - Mavs.com - March 24th, 2021
- Health experts give green light to Janssen COVID jab, allay clotting concerns - UN News - March 20th, 2021
- New York City marks anniversary of 1st COVID-19 death with memorial services - ABC News - March 15th, 2021
- Will I have to wear a mask after getting the Covid vaccine? The science explained - The Guardian - March 15th, 2021
- Health Department ignored red flags in Philly Fighting COVID partnership, inspector general says - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccination scam calls reported in Bay and Saginaw counties - MLive.com - March 11th, 2021
- When will children be able to get COVID-19 vaccines? - KHOU.com - March 8th, 2021
- People who have had COVID-19 might need only one shot of a coronavirus vaccine - Science News Magazine - March 6th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" - PR Newswire India - March 6th, 2021
- Who should skip the second shot of coronavirus vaccine? Weve got answers - cleveland.com - March 4th, 2021
- Explained: As you take the Covid-19 vaccine, some dos and donts - The Indian Express - March 4th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" USA - PRNewswire - March 4th, 2021
- Indias Covid-19 Vaccine Is Found Effective, Boosting National Efforts - The Wall Street Journal - March 4th, 2021
- Latest COVID-19 vaccination numbers in DC, Maryland and Virginia - WTOP - March 4th, 2021
- Situation Update: Response to COVID-19 in Indonesia (As of 1 March 2021) [EN/ID] - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - March 4th, 2021
- Dietary Supplement Use and COVID-19: What You Need to Know - JD Supra - March 4th, 2021
- Texas is diverting thousands of COVID-19 vaccine doses away from Dallas County, Judge Jenkins says - WFAA.com - March 2nd, 2021
- The latest on the coronavirus pandemic and vaccines: Live updated - CNN - March 2nd, 2021
- FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization for Third COVID-19 Vaccine - FDA.gov - February 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news update Covid alert drops from 5 to 4 as Queen asks Brits wary of vaccine to think abo - The Sun - February 26th, 2021
- Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 26th, 2021
- The Covid-19 vaccines reduce transmission. Heres the evidence. - Vox.com - February 24th, 2021
- India's Covid vaccine maker told to meet domestic demand first, urges 'rest of the world' to be patient - CNBC - February 24th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Connecticut Will Continue Age-Based Approach To COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility; Educators and Childcare Providers To Have... - February 24th, 2021
- Australian Open crowd boos at mention of coronavirus vaccines and Victorian government after Novak Djokovic's win - ABC News - February 22nd, 2021
- Quixplained: What is the South African variant of Covid-19? - The Indian Express - February 20th, 2021
- Texas power outage, storm delay COVID-19 vaccine deliveries, injections - The Texas Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- How many Covid vaccinations have been given in my area? Use our postcode tool to find out - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2021
- Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - The Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 tests, not to be confused with vaccine, in LA to be available without appointment next week - FOX 11 Los Angeles - February 20th, 2021
- New coronavirus variants are emerging across the globe: Everything we know - CNET - February 18th, 2021
- Heres why some coronavirus vaccine suppliers say they arent selling to provinces - Global News - February 18th, 2021
- More Than 4 Million Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine Have Been Given in Texas; Supersites Arrive Next Week - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - February 16th, 2021
- The superspreaders behind top COVID-19 conspiracy theories - The Associated Press - February 16th, 2021
- India is set to become a vital Covid vaccine maker perhaps second only to the U.S. - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- Oxford Covid-19 vaccine Q&A: How effective is it, and how is it different to the Pfizer vaccine? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2021
- Boris Johnson says move to ease lockdown will be irreversible - The Independent - February 16th, 2021
- Explained: Are new Covid-19 variants detected in the US more contagious? - The Indian Express - February 16th, 2021
- 78-Year-Old Woman Dies After Receiving COVID-19 Vaccine; No Link Suspected - NBC Southern California - February 14th, 2021
- Here's Who Will Be Eligible for the COVID Vaccine in Illinois Starting Next Week - NBC Chicago - February 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news LIVE Britain to hit 15m Covid vaccination target TODAY as plan to get out of lockdown l - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- A doctor had 6 hours to use a vial of COVID-19 vaccine before it expired, so he gave the shots to 10 people. For that, he was fired. - Chicago Tribune - February 12th, 2021
- Memphis surgeon dies of COVID-related illness weeks after receiving second COVID vaccine - WREG NewsChannel 3 - February 12th, 2021
- Where to sign up for COVID-19 vaccine in Austin, Travis County area - KXAN.com - February 11th, 2021
- Pfizer and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccines are just the beginning. Will Australia miss out on the mRNA medical revolution? - ABC News - February 9th, 2021
- Covid UK news LIVE Over 70s URGED to chase coronavirus vaccine slots as Brits told too early to book summe - The Sun - February 9th, 2021
- UK coronavirus LIVE: Brits face third AstraZeneca vaccine as over-70s urged to contact NHS for jab - Evening Standard - February 9th, 2021
- LIVE BLOG: North Carolina bills for COVID-19 relief, mandatory in-person schooling working through General Assembly - WXII12 Winston-Salem - February 6th, 2021
- New COVID-19 prediction models forecast a potential fourth wave and how to minimize it - GeekWire - February 6th, 2021
- Covid UK news Most adults will be vaccinated by May leaked letter reveals as it emerged pub curfew to be s - The Sun - February 6th, 2021
- The priority list for the Covid vaccines - and how you will be contacted - Telegraph.co.uk - February 6th, 2021
- Select Texas CVS Pharmacy locations to begin administering COVID-19 vaccines next week - KXAN.com - February 4th, 2021
- The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells - The Atlantic - February 4th, 2021
- You think it's taking too long for Covid vaccination? Global Vaccine Timeline stretched to 2023! - Sierra Wave - February 4th, 2021
- What to Know About Covid-19 and the 2021 Super Bowl - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- A Primer on the COVID-19 Vaccines Available in the United States - Davidson News - February 1st, 2021
- Go read this story about how bad software helped slow coronavirus vaccine distribution - The Verge - February 1st, 2021
- Tax season 2021: Stimulus payments, unemployment and every other major change - CNET - January 30th, 2021
- Oregon COVID-19 vaccine update: More than 300,000 people have received at least one dose - KGW.com - January 30th, 2021
- How to get the COVID-19 vaccine from Walgreens - WFLA - January 29th, 2021