How will the storage requirements of the Pfizer vaccine affect the programme?
It was initially thought that the Pfizer vaccine must be stored at -70C to be effective, meaning it can only be delivered to GPs with the facilities to keep it at that temperature.
However, according to latest results, the Pfizer vaccine no longer needs to be kept at super cold temperatures. If approved by regulators, this means the vaccine can be stored in standard medical freezers for two weeks, which will have a significant impact on distribution.
It is understood the vaccine batches are being broken down into doses of 75, in order to give the vaccine toelderly residents and staff in homes with more than 50 beds to avoid wastage.
The Oxford vaccine does not need to be stored in such cold conditions - it can be kept at temperatures between 2C and 8C.
This means it is moremobile than the Pfizer jab and therefore more easily deployed into care homes of varying sizes and into private homes for individual doses.
Vaccine MinisterNadhimZahawi said that 8am-8pm inoculations will continue for those in the over-80s age group, but as more people in other age groupsbegin to receive the vaccine, "it becomes much more convenient for people to go late at night and in the early hours".
Mr Zahawi expected the scheme to be in operation in hospitals around London, and 50 vaccination centres, by February.
Offering vaccinations overnight will speed up the rollout, and allow the Government to reach their goal of vaccinating 32 million people - 60 per cent of the UK adult population by spring.
The South African variant and the Brazilian variant have threatened to undermine the vaccine and testing gains of recent months.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is expecting some vaccine tweaks to be needed as it has already begun to look at how quickly an altered jab could be approved, and Matt Hancock has said he is "very worried".
As of Feb 16, 217cases of the South Africa Covid-19 variant have been identified in England. Due to some cases not being linked to travel,door-to-door testing will take place in some parts of England.
This comes as scientists have found that theKent coronavirus variantis mutating to mimic theSouth African variant,which could render current vaccines less effective.
It was announced on Feb 7 that studies of the Oxford University-AstraZeneca jab have shown that itdoes not protect against mild and moderate infection of the South African variant.
However, vaccines against new coronavirus variants should be ready by October, the team behind theOxford University/AstraZeneca jabhas said.
On Jan 25, Moderna Inc announced that its vaccine was effective against the Kent and South African variants. Deliveries of the vaccine will take place in the spring.
Britain is also on the brink of approving a fourth coronavirus vaccine, after a jab trialled in the UK was shown to be highly effective against the Kent variant in what the Health Secretary hailed as a breakthrough.
Sixty million doses of the Novavax jab have been secured by the UK,which Mr Zahawi was himself injected with as part of the trial, which was shown to be 89.3 per cent effective in preventing coronavirus in participants.
Professor Paul Heath, the Novavax Phase 3 trial chief investigator, said he believed that vaccines could be adapted "at pace" to target new variants of coronavirus after the Novavax jab was found to be effective against the Kent variant.
Crucially, it was shown to be highly effective in preventing infection from the Kent variant whichBoris Johnson said on Jan 22 could be up to 30 per cent more deadly than the original.
However, most promisingly, on Jan 16, The Telegraphrevealed that Britain would have the capacity to vaccinate the entire nation against new coronavirus strains within four months, once a new super-factory opens this year.
The government is currently looking to the future, and Boris Johnson has said that elderly and vulnerable people in the UK may have a coronavirus vaccine every year, similar to the roll-out of the annual flu jab.
Have you had the Covid vaccine or are you due to get one? We want to hear from you. Get in touch with us here.
Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - Telegraph.co.uk
- Coronavirus news live: Latest as lockdown easing sees shops and pubs crowded - The Independent - April 12th, 2021
- Covid UK: coronavirus cases, deaths and vaccinations today - The Guardian - April 12th, 2021
- Asia Today: India records another surge in COVID-19 cases - The Associated Press - April 12th, 2021
- The Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine Is Less Effective Against The South African And UK Variants Than Against The Original Virus, According To A New... - April 12th, 2021
- How Long Should You Wait To Get the Vaccine After Having COVID-19? - ideastream - April 9th, 2021
- What you should (and shouldn't) do with your vaccination card - KING5.com - April 9th, 2021
- UC Davis Health opening vaccinations up to anyone 16 and older | COVID-19 Updates in Northern California - ABC10.com KXTV - April 7th, 2021
- Can Vaccinated People Spread the Virus? - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany to restrict AstraZeneca use in under-60s over clots - The Associated Press - April 5th, 2021
- The COVID-19 vaccine side effects you can expect based on your age, sex, and dose - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Covid-19: Johnson & Johnson Put in Charge of Plant That Ruined Millions of Vaccine Doses - The New York Times - April 5th, 2021
- Germany restricts use of AstraZeneca vaccine to over 60s in most cases - DW (English) - April 5th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccines with a side of fried fish are on the Good Friday menu in Central City - NOLA.com - April 3rd, 2021
- Explained: Making sense of Indias Covid-19 data - The Indian Express - April 3rd, 2021
- 35 Pa. counties have substantial spread of COVID-19; positive test rate rises for second week in a row - PennLive - March 30th, 2021
- Covid-19 News: In-Person School Attendance Inches Up but Roadblocks Remain - The New York Times - March 30th, 2021
- COVID-19 cases surging in Pa. and N.J. as variants spread; Biden sets goal of 200 million vaccinations by end - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 28th, 2021
- Why Supply Isnt the Only Thing Stymying Europes Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout - The New York Times - March 26th, 2021
- All Georgia adults will be eligible for coronavirus vaccines starting Thursday - Atlanta Journal Constitution - March 26th, 2021
- COVID Vaccine (COVID-19 Immunization Updates) | CVS Pharmacy - March 24th, 2021
- Mavericks won't require their players to get the coronavirus vaccine - The Official Home of the - Mavs.com - March 24th, 2021
- Health experts give green light to Janssen COVID jab, allay clotting concerns - UN News - March 20th, 2021
- New York City marks anniversary of 1st COVID-19 death with memorial services - ABC News - March 15th, 2021
- Will I have to wear a mask after getting the Covid vaccine? The science explained - The Guardian - March 15th, 2021
- Health Department ignored red flags in Philly Fighting COVID partnership, inspector general says - The Philadelphia Inquirer - March 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccination scam calls reported in Bay and Saginaw counties - MLive.com - March 11th, 2021
- When will children be able to get COVID-19 vaccines? - KHOU.com - March 8th, 2021
- What you need to know about the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine - WHYY - March 8th, 2021
- People who have had COVID-19 might need only one shot of a coronavirus vaccine - Science News Magazine - March 6th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" - PR Newswire India - March 6th, 2021
- Who should skip the second shot of coronavirus vaccine? Weve got answers - cleveland.com - March 4th, 2021
- Explained: As you take the Covid-19 vaccine, some dos and donts - The Indian Express - March 4th, 2021
- "Corona Virus Vaccine Market Size is Projected to reach 75.75 Billion by end of 2021, Says Brandessence Market Research" USA - PRNewswire - March 4th, 2021
- Indias Covid-19 Vaccine Is Found Effective, Boosting National Efforts - The Wall Street Journal - March 4th, 2021
- Latest COVID-19 vaccination numbers in DC, Maryland and Virginia - WTOP - March 4th, 2021
- Situation Update: Response to COVID-19 in Indonesia (As of 1 March 2021) [EN/ID] - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - March 4th, 2021
- Dietary Supplement Use and COVID-19: What You Need to Know - JD Supra - March 4th, 2021
- Texas is diverting thousands of COVID-19 vaccine doses away from Dallas County, Judge Jenkins says - WFAA.com - March 2nd, 2021
- The latest on the coronavirus pandemic and vaccines: Live updated - CNN - March 2nd, 2021
- FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization for Third COVID-19 Vaccine - FDA.gov - February 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news update Covid alert drops from 5 to 4 as Queen asks Brits wary of vaccine to think abo - The Sun - February 26th, 2021
- The Covid-19 vaccines reduce transmission. Heres the evidence. - Vox.com - February 24th, 2021
- India's Covid vaccine maker told to meet domestic demand first, urges 'rest of the world' to be patient - CNBC - February 24th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Connecticut Will Continue Age-Based Approach To COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility; Educators and Childcare Providers To Have... - February 24th, 2021
- Australian Open crowd boos at mention of coronavirus vaccines and Victorian government after Novak Djokovic's win - ABC News - February 22nd, 2021
- Quixplained: What is the South African variant of Covid-19? - The Indian Express - February 20th, 2021
- Texas power outage, storm delay COVID-19 vaccine deliveries, injections - The Texas Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- How many Covid vaccinations have been given in my area? Use our postcode tool to find out - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2021
- Who is next on the priority list for Covid vaccines - and how will I be contacted? - The Telegraph - February 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 tests, not to be confused with vaccine, in LA to be available without appointment next week - FOX 11 Los Angeles - February 20th, 2021
- New coronavirus variants are emerging across the globe: Everything we know - CNET - February 18th, 2021
- Heres why some coronavirus vaccine suppliers say they arent selling to provinces - Global News - February 18th, 2021
- More Than 4 Million Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine Have Been Given in Texas; Supersites Arrive Next Week - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - February 16th, 2021
- The superspreaders behind top COVID-19 conspiracy theories - The Associated Press - February 16th, 2021
- India is set to become a vital Covid vaccine maker perhaps second only to the U.S. - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- Oxford Covid-19 vaccine Q&A: How effective is it, and how is it different to the Pfizer vaccine? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2021
- Boris Johnson says move to ease lockdown will be irreversible - The Independent - February 16th, 2021
- Explained: Are new Covid-19 variants detected in the US more contagious? - The Indian Express - February 16th, 2021
- 78-Year-Old Woman Dies After Receiving COVID-19 Vaccine; No Link Suspected - NBC Southern California - February 14th, 2021
- Here's Who Will Be Eligible for the COVID Vaccine in Illinois Starting Next Week - NBC Chicago - February 14th, 2021
- Coronavirus UK news LIVE Britain to hit 15m Covid vaccination target TODAY as plan to get out of lockdown l - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- A doctor had 6 hours to use a vial of COVID-19 vaccine before it expired, so he gave the shots to 10 people. For that, he was fired. - Chicago Tribune - February 12th, 2021
- Memphis surgeon dies of COVID-related illness weeks after receiving second COVID vaccine - WREG NewsChannel 3 - February 12th, 2021
- Where to sign up for COVID-19 vaccine in Austin, Travis County area - KXAN.com - February 11th, 2021
- Pfizer and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccines are just the beginning. Will Australia miss out on the mRNA medical revolution? - ABC News - February 9th, 2021
- Covid UK news LIVE Over 70s URGED to chase coronavirus vaccine slots as Brits told too early to book summe - The Sun - February 9th, 2021
- UK coronavirus LIVE: Brits face third AstraZeneca vaccine as over-70s urged to contact NHS for jab - Evening Standard - February 9th, 2021
- LIVE BLOG: North Carolina bills for COVID-19 relief, mandatory in-person schooling working through General Assembly - WXII12 Winston-Salem - February 6th, 2021
- New COVID-19 prediction models forecast a potential fourth wave and how to minimize it - GeekWire - February 6th, 2021
- Covid UK news Most adults will be vaccinated by May leaked letter reveals as it emerged pub curfew to be s - The Sun - February 6th, 2021
- The priority list for the Covid vaccines - and how you will be contacted - Telegraph.co.uk - February 6th, 2021
- Select Texas CVS Pharmacy locations to begin administering COVID-19 vaccines next week - KXAN.com - February 4th, 2021
- The Second COVID-19 Shot Is a Rude Reawakening for Immune Cells - The Atlantic - February 4th, 2021
- You think it's taking too long for Covid vaccination? Global Vaccine Timeline stretched to 2023! - Sierra Wave - February 4th, 2021
- What to Know About Covid-19 and the 2021 Super Bowl - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- A Primer on the COVID-19 Vaccines Available in the United States - Davidson News - February 1st, 2021
- Go read this story about how bad software helped slow coronavirus vaccine distribution - The Verge - February 1st, 2021
- Tax season 2021: Stimulus payments, unemployment and every other major change - CNET - January 30th, 2021
- Oregon COVID-19 vaccine update: More than 300,000 people have received at least one dose - KGW.com - January 30th, 2021
- How to get the COVID-19 vaccine from Walgreens - WFLA - January 29th, 2021